DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

wont accept my vertical spin for calibration completion

droneBdamned

Reactions
Hello my new Mavic fam!
Just tried to do my first launch today to no avail. Now before I get started, yes I'm new to the mavic but clocked many, many hours if not days of skymiles on my phantom.
Ok so I did all the firmware updates and all set. When I finally got to the field today to start getting into this awesomeness, I couldn't get passed the second spin(vertical). I tried multiple times and locations, rebooted, etc. Nothing! On the app it shows first the horizontal, ok check, moves on to vert and nothing. Have I missed something? Is the vertical cal on this DJI any different than the others I've used? Am I the only one?
Also just to set clear, I'm in a vacant playground but a good 15 meters from any metal and no power lines. is the mavic way more sensitive than the phantoms?
Super frustrated as I did all the firmware stuff and even long, boring tutorials before leaving the states so I wouldn't have any curve balls whilst here in Ecuador working on a job. Wifi will not be an option in the morning as I'm going to the reserve and need my vehicle working. Please anybody with some real help out there?

Thanks in advance for taking the time!

Last edited:
Have I missed something? Is the vertical cal on this DJI any different than the others I've used?
No -- it's exactly the same. I find I sometimes have to turn a little bit more than a full 360.

No -- it's exactly the same. I find I sometimes have to turn a little bit more than a full 360.
Had my first flight today and was not asked to do that calibration. Is it because I'm in beginner mode or did I miss doing something I should have? I did the firmware update and it said I was ready to fly. No calibrating.

Sent from my SM-G930V using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: GravityIsRelentless
Had my first flight today and was not asked to do that calibration.
The DJI GO app usually does not recommend you calibrate the compass. That doesn't mean you should never calibrate it though. Check out the Compass Calibration Guide for more information and when and where you should calibrate the compass.

Reactions: mavic air
The DJI GO app usually does not recommend you calibrate the compass. That doesn't mean you should never calibrate it though. Check out the Compass Calibration Guide for more information and when and where you should calibrate the compass.
So after looking at the link you suggested I am assuming it would be a good idea to do before next flight since it's a new drone in a new area?

am assuming it would be a good idea to do before next flight since it's a new drone in a new area?
Yes -- it would be a good idea to calibrate it.

I calibrate anytime I travel 100-/+ miles from the last place I flew. I find that to work well. ;)

Is the two spinning calibrations (horizontal and vertical) all there is? I seam to remember a YouTube video where someone had it folded up and sat it on its bottom and then each side.

Is the two spinning calibrations (horizontal and vertical) all there is?
Yes -- for the compass calibration.

I seam to remember a YouTube video where someone had it folded up and sat it on its bottom and then each side.
It sounds like you're referring to the IMU calibration.

Is the two spinning calibrations (horizontal and vertical) all there is? I seam to remember a YouTube video where someone had it folded up and sat it on its bottom and then each side.

Your referring to an IMU calibration. The compass is the normal spin dance. ;)

Your referring to an IMU calibration. The compass is the normal spin dance. ;)
Yes. So I see that the compass calibration would be good since it's brand new. I seam to see two very different opinions on doing the IMU calibration. Some say yes and often, others say they have never and won't unless prompted or see the need too. Thoughts?

I do it when new (I do all the calibrations at this point, even the obstacle avoidance calibration), possibly after a firmware update, if the app suggest it, or if I was experiencing issues with the quad.

I've calibrated mine twice now and I've noticed on every flight that it tends to rotate slowly (drift) when not applying any control inputs. Would this type of action be a result of a bad calibration? Should I go someplace different and do it again?

I've noticed on every flight that it tends to rotate slowly (drift) when not applying any control inputs
Is it drifting or yawing to the right?

Reactions: Rnl
I'm not sure if it was yawing right or left. I've mainly been shooting stills so have no footage to look back at either. I'll have to run additional tests if the weather is suitable this evening.

Was it drifting (moving further away from the home point) or just yawing (rotating in place)?

If it continues to do that, try calibrating the compass again. If that does not fix the issue, then calibrate the remote controller.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000