DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Worst thing about Mini 3 Pro and the new DJI RC and the FLY APP

funny how a thread topic can get turned around to something quite different
started off worst thing about Mini 3 pro
and now has turned into lets complain about the fly app,and DJI RC
come on fellow members lets get it back on track

The difference in brightness between 700 nits and 1000 nits is barely 10%. If you can't see your screen at 700 nits in sunlight, you aren't going to see any significant improvement with 1000 nits either. You'd see a much bigger difference just by getting a sunshade.
There's no doubt that 700 to 1,000 nits is not that far off.

BUT, the SC had a special mode to boost the darks even more (cannot remember the name, something like SRE or so), so it somehow tonemapped the picture to make it more visible (but not influenced in the histogram).

It's hard to explain if you have not tried it out yourself.
As said, with my tinted glasses, the RC is harder to read in sunlight compared to the SC.

Found it (although very odd to "proof" my experiences by people who just read the numbers what I explicitly said to be true, yet it's different):

sre1.PNG

sre2.PNG

This is missing from the RC.

if you wish to talk about the new DJI-RC ,then please start a new thread thankyou
if the Mini 3 only came with the DJI-RC ,then there would be some validity in continuing this thread ,but it doesnt and can be flown with a different controller

Reactions: ssvdh66
Not actually the case. I use 700 mobile devices and an old 1000 nit SC in bright tropical sun all the time.

The 700 is impossible without finding shade (if there is any) or a hood.
The 1000 is usable without. Ideally i'd like a 1250 or 1500 nit screen on a controller but DJI seem to have abandoned really bright screens since stopping Crystal Sky range units.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Makes hand grab landing (far better than trying to get it to land on your hand in wind) much harder.
Sensors get confused by low angle sun and reflections so the drone stops.
Gets confused by glare from water - can lead to auto land and other issues.

With the sensors enabled, I do have to be careful not to move my hand upward during landing to avoid causing the drone to ascend. But, that's no problem.

I don't hand catch by landing on my flat hand, but rather by grasping the drone body between my thumb and fingers as it descends. I hold it steady, being careful not to raise or lower it, until the motors stop. It's not a grabbing thing, though I know some like to grab the drone and turn it over to force a shut down. And if anything goes sour, I have the option of turning it over. I'm not sure how having the sensors disabled would be a benefit in high or turbulent wind conditions.

(I'm not trying to convince anyone who uses a different method.)

Sensors disabled means they dont pick up your hand and climb away when you grab for it.

(but also the false alarm random braking issues are a good reason to disable too)

@MS Coast
Exactly my experiences so far.
It is a bit more tricky to catch compared to my trusty old M2P which really slowly descends into my grips.

The Mini 3 Pro stops a bit longer to do so and also is not powering off so fast so once I had the motors spinning up if I tried to pull it a bit down too early.

Sensors disabled means they dont pick up your hand and climb away when you grab for it.

(but also the false alarm random braking issues are a good reason to disable too)
I keep my hand stationary and fly the drone down to it and then grasp it. It settles in gently and there are no sudden motions needed.

While I wouldn't see using it often, I certainly wouldn't object to having a switch in the Fly app to disable the bottom sensors. I'd love to see a lot of other control options, too, but manufacturers seem to cater to the buyers who want simplicity rather than flexibility. So we're tied down by the lowest common denominator.

I keep my hand stationary and fly the drone down to it and then grasp it. It settles in gently and there are no sudden motions needed.

While I wouldn't see using it often, I certainly wouldn't object to having a switch in the Fly app to disable the bottom sensors. I'd love to see a lot of other control options, too, but manufacturers seem to cater to the buyers who want simplicity rather than flexibility. So we're tied down by the lowest common denominator.
I really dont want it trying to land on its own while bouncing in a gusty wind or when im standing on a rolling boat.
I want it hovering, at a safe height from me and i can walk to it and grab.
Fly is tolerable with the Mini 3 i think as its a non professional mini drone. Id be furious if i had a Mavic 3 restricted due to that software given the previous version offered so much more.

there you go i have edited the title ,to give the thread more scope ,which seems to be what many of you want
hope this helps

such passion for nits ,is quite astonishing,i am just glad theres some distance between you both

There's no doubt that 700 to 1,000 nits is not that far off.

BUT, the SC had a special mode to boost the darks even more (cannot remember the name, something like SRE or so), so it somehow tonemapped the picture to make it more visible (but not influenced in the histogram).

It's hard to explain if you have not tried it out yourself.
As said, with my tinted glasses, the RC is harder to read in sunlight compared to the SC.

Found it (although very odd to "proof" my experiences by people who just read the numbers what I explicitly said to be true, yet it's different):

View attachment 150065

View attachment 150066

This is missing from the RC.
I use SRE on my old SC but one thing it does do as a downside of boosting the contrast is makes it much harder to judge on screen what your actual image looks like contrast and exposure wise, especially in log video.
It really does help if the screen is hard to read though.

@Cymru
That's indeed true but as I only do stills and have my histogram, it's not a problem for me.
But I understand what you say. But at least SRE was another additional feature you can activate as nowadays DJI just dumbed down nearly everything they once came cleverly up with.

I believe that DJI is targeting their consumer line to people that rip open the box, charge the battery and throw it in the air. They realized that giving the same features as the bigger models such as Matrice and Inspire to consumer drones was costing them money in the long run since you can do the same type of things with a smaller cheaper drone. The Fly app I think is a reflection of that. If you want the high end features, they want you to have to buy the "professional" line at a higher price point. They are smart enough however to keep upgrading the cameras and a few other things to keep the masses happy. You will probably only see things like onboard waypoints, course lock and fine tuning of aircraft control on Enterprise models from now on. Prove me wrong DJI...

@MavicAir2Marc
That is certainly the case.
The problem for me as recreational flyer is, even if I could or bother to pay the prices for these pro models, they are pretty much restricted to any area I am interested to fly in. So having the best gear helps me nothing in getting the pictures I want.

And that's something DJI somehow (as with the C-labels) completly ignores. 🙃
Still I am happy we got the Mini 3 Pro now that satisfies mostly everything I need so far. But it could be better from a software point of view and that is what makes me slighty rant from time to time.

There's even no histogramm and much of the drones potential still waits to be coded into (upper gimbal coverage, AEB with pano, etc.).
DJI Fly definitely has a histogram.

I'm one week into Mini 3 Pro ownership, and I'm generally happy with it.

Some people (mostly outside the US) have experienced range issues, but for me the range has been fine.

Others have complained about image quality, but what I've seen so far is good, especially for such a small drone.

My biggest disappointment BY FAR is the new RC screen brightness. I guess I was hoping for something similar to the Smart Controller, but this new RC's screen is worse than my iPhone on the N1. On sunny days it is nearly impossible to see the screen. I'm surprised no one else has complained about this.

Very happy with other aspects of the drone... but i guess I need to start looking for a hood solution.
You are right here in NC. Glad you aren't getting suboptimal range. Mine arrives Friday after the usual assortment of nonsense, like marking it "all shipped" 10 DAYS ago. Printing a label/registering a Tracking number does not an "all shipped" make. Sigh.

I would have been thrilled to buy a "no controller" version. I have 3 RC-N1 Controlers, one of which I may get QMA connectors installed, to occasionally use my
Alien👽Tech Duo II on, since it would work with my Air 2, Mavic 3 and now Mini 3 Pro. Let's see how range is with that beast serving up the waves! 😆
Unfortunately DJI, Retailers & Amazon all have "starting on August 1st for RC-N1 and no controller versions, and that's quite a wait.
Ideally DJI will pair RC Pro with Mini 3 Pro, but as of now, it looks like almost the opposite is going to occur with this RC - model number is RM330 - getting paired to Mavic 3 as a step up from RC-N1 for folks who don't have a spare kidney to sell for the RC Pro.

It's really not bad, for a bump of about $150, it's a good value, but you are not the first to be less than thrilled by the brightness -or lack thereof. Then again, it is said to maintain that and not dim when hot, so perhaps a good hood design could improve the experience. Battery life on the RC is reported to be very good, so... buy a hood, keep it pointed at the Mini 3 Pro, and nag DJI tomake RC Pro compatible. That's the plan as of Friday. Assuming the $#%@ gets delivered!

Maxi Happy Flying

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman