DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Worst thing about Mini 3 Pro and the new DJI RC and the FLY APP

Hey :)

I noticed you have said that number of times, but the SC was released in 2018 and was only "dropped" very recently.

During those 4+ years, technology moved on - and so O2 became O3 and they naturally upgraded it to the new RC Pro. 4 years for any tech product is dated.

Also, at present, the SC supports 8 DJI drones, so I'm not sure how you think they abandoned it?

If I get 4 years from my RC Pro, I'll be happy.
Of course technology moves on.
DJI stated, that the SC will be their platform to work from but as seen on the RC Pro again, you really get no definitive statement, what that means in terms of updates or compatibility (which is the most annoying thing I have to say). The Mavic 3 with O3 was not supported of course, the Air 2S with O3 was.

There's hardly any alternative though.
As DJI's radio is ALL software based, they certainly could work on a reduced fallback mode where controlling of later drones is possible (reduced video resolution, etc.).

I've closed this chapter but learned that I will certainly not buy a dedicated EUR 1,000 RC Pro to get dumped after 4 years which is perfectly fine and still capable of many things. That said, with the SC DJI did however, used quite low powered internals, so the expiration date was somehow quite obvious retrospectively.

If you have been into modelling like I was, it still hurts, that such devices can't be used further.
But I stick with them with the M2P and DJI Go 4 which is fine. ;)

Of course technology moves on.
DJI stated, that the SC will be their platform to work from but as seen on the RC Pro again, you really get no definitive statement, what that means in terms of updates or compatibility (which is the most annoying thing I have to say). The Mavic 3 with O3 was not supported of course, the Air 2S with O3 was.

There's hardly any alternative though.
As DJI's radio is ALL software based, they certainly could work on a reduced fallback mode where controlling of later drones is possible (reduced video resolution, etc.).

I've closed this chapter but learned that I will certainly not buy a dedicated EUR 1,000 RC Pro to get dumped after 4 years which is perfectly fine and still capable of many things. That said, with the SC DJI did however, used quite low powered internals, so the expiration date was somehow quite obvious retrospectively.

If you have been into modelling like I was, it still hurts, that such devices can't be used further.
But I stick with them with the M2P and DJI Go 4 which is fine. ;)
Thanks for such a great reply 👍🏻

I’m old school RC too, but I don’t miss having a coloured ribbon on the end of my (telescopic) antenna 😊

…or that feeling when someone on the same frequency takes over my model ha ha.

@pommy
You are most welcome.
Indeed, especially with shared frequencies/channels, that was some very nasty thing.

Happened to me only with my boats, never with planes fortunately.
Have a great day! :cool:

Reactions: pommy
Also, at present, the SC supports 8 DJI drones, so I'm not sure how you think they abandoned it?
Well, mine just stopped working*. I'll let you know later this week when I hear from the repair chap whether DJI still supports it :confused:

*Won't power on. I've tried the various combinations of long button presses etc I found on the internet, and they didn't work.

Well, mine just stopped working*. I'll let you know later this week when I hear from the repair chap whether DJI still supports it :confused:

*Won't power on. I've tried the various combinations of long button presses etc I found on the internet, and they didn't work.
😞 sorry to hear that. Hopefully it’s fixable 🤞🏻

As far as I know (in Australia) DJI aren’t selling them anymore. As for supporting them, I can’t find what category they fall into…

BE1B318D-DFBB-488F-8169-3C7D83832A4E.jpeg

Attachments

• 91CA74F7-C28A-42FC-AF36-83CD27C9D408.jpeg
    91CA74F7-C28A-42FC-AF36-83CD27C9D408.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 5
I'm not seeing that option. All I see is the slider to manually set the brightness. (which I set to max)
Swipe down from the top once and a status bar kinda thing appears. Swipe again and a black and white screen with menu and message window appears. Slider is on bottom right. Top right corner has a little hex nut icon to get to additional settings

😞 sorry to hear that. Hopefully it’s fixable 🤞🏻
Fixed.

Actually, it worked first time at the shop when the tech tried it.

I told him if I ever manage a wilderness trip I want his magic hands along to repair tech problems. :)

Bit scary because it seems random so I'm bringing my old dumb controller along on future trips just in case this happens again.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Is that true though? Here's a side by side, same sunlight - 10% no difference?
1,000 nits is 43% more nits than 700, so the difference in your comparison picture makes sense to me.

1,000 nits is 43% more nits than 700, so the difference in your comparison picture makes sense to me.
This has been discussed before, for the human eye, it's not a linear experience (similiar with audio btw).
I do want to say, that I found the 1,000 nits from my old SC with SRE better in direct sunlight than the RC from the Mini 3 Pro.

Reactions: eva2000
Thats the main reason i didnt go for the RC.

700 nits is not a lot. The original smart controller was 1000 and that was JUST about visible in bright direct sunlight. 700 is not.

That was the main reason i got the RC-N1 so i could use my brighter mobile devices, bigger screens and the ability to use 3rd party apps if/when SDK comes out.
I have a Mini3 with the smart controller coming tomorrow. Of course DJI would not put in a brighter screen or a 5D button as these features would destroy the margin of their $1200 controllers. Bigger screens and 3rd party apps are the reason that I'll be hanging onto my Mini 2 and use the RC-N1 with my Mini 3 when appropriate as I now often fly with a tablet. My iPad Mini 6 only has 500 nits, so I guess the Mini 3's smart controller is somewhat of an improvement in this regard. I may have to concoct a screen shade for it.

The reason I opted for the smart controller is *quick deployment, and * the C1/C2 buttons. Compared to my Mavic 2 controller the RC-N1 that DJI packages with everything from the Mini 2 to the M3 is anemic in features in comparison to the M2's controller. The Mini 3's SC at least, for $150 extra gives back some of those features. The absence of a 5D button wasn't an accident. Just sayin'.

Thanks for such a great reply 👍🏻

I’m old school RC too, but I don’t miss having a coloured ribbon on the end of my (telescopic) antenna 😊

…or that feeling when someone on the same frequency takes over my model ha ha.
Hey! I remember those days! Fondly, too!
Do you remember when trimmable pots first became available? Man, I thought that was Big Time!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman