DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Worth Updating Mavic Pro Firmware???

Today I experienced a "aircraft locked" issue with my mavic pro!
It seems now (it never happened before) dji go app will lock your mavic unless you update to the latest firmware.
Fortunately there are some nice guy who likes playing with software and I've been able to unlock it without updating, but I hate DJI for that: why can't I choose?
I never had any issue with my actual firmware, I can fly 2500m loosing no more than one bar of hd video signal, two at worst, why can't I just keep it as it is?!?

Two schools of thought. I'll add a third. Do what you think is best. Me, I always update. The FW may add new restrictions, but there is also code to fix outstanding issues. I'd hate to lose my bird because I failed to update. That's a user error issue I hold no sympathy for.

The real situation is that from .0400 to .0700 there are no bugs problems or pitfalls. I have done hundreds of flights using.400 on the absulte fringes like 1.5 miles out over the open ocean and up mountain sides that are way above 500M and have never had a crash or software malfunction.

So the choice is really between complete freedom and a lot or added on flight toys. Pick your updates based on what you value the most. I am interested in flying and perfecting my own skills. I am not a fan of automated flight modes, they take too long to setup and don’t handle dynamic flight situations very well.

Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: BanditsRoost
I am currently on the 0400 firmware, however, I have just shelled out on a new Ipad, because I could not find an android device that would work properly, I now have a pile of 'approved devices' that don't work properly.

Anyway.

Will my ipad using the latest software work with 0400, or will it give me issues?

TBH I wouldn't buy another DJI product again, however, with the amount I have sunk in this I am stuck with it.

I normally wait a while before updating my Mavic and Crystalsky and have just done both of them tonight....

And as with every update I have installed over the past 18 months all went very smooth.

Today I experienced a "aircraft locked" issue with my mavic pro!
It seems now (it never happened before) dji go app will lock your mavic unless you update to the latest firmware.
Fortunately there are some nice guy who likes playing with software and I've been able to unlock it without updating, but I hate DJI for that: why can't I choose?
I never had any issue with my actual firmware, I can fly 2500m loosing no more than one bar of hd video signal, two at worst, why can't I just keep it as it is?!?
This is always a touchy subject. I always update everything, NEVER had a problem. I do not believe the latest software requires any more resources than the older releases. I do know that if your phone or tablet is used for other things, and just left to sleep when not using it, after a few weeks or more, you HAVE to power down and restart for things to work right with your drone. I also know that a lot of other TSR type apps ARE requiring more resources. And everything wants to send you notifications, and keep track of your location these days.

Of course you did get the "I never update" people chiming in, But how would they know if updating makes it better or worse, or if its worth it?
because they read a thread about a couple of people that are having issues? Its like asking a person that has never had a beer to tell you how it will taste! :D
There is ALWAYS people with issues, has been on every software and firmware release.
My father in law is like that, he has been carrying the same flip phone for 8 or 10 years, "It still works just fine"
But he doesnt know what he is missing.....
MY VOTE? Do the updates, all of them... Firmware, software, IOS, or device manufacturer updates. If you update anything, update everything and you will not be one of the "updates screwed me" guys.

Reactions: SYC12
I always update everything, and then perform careful test flights to evaluate performance. Some of the updates had problems, to the point that I either rolled-back the update, or waited until the next one became available before flying again, but so far DJI has never failed to fix any issues I was having. Even so, my flights have never tested the boundaries of range, way points, or other advanced features, so it is very possible that issues may exist that I might never be aware of.

I had recently downgraded back to .700. Still lucky with this firmware - no problems at all.

Reactions: Adamcain112
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder