DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would love an opinion.....does the video seem "stuttery"?

jt420

Reactions
This really only happens when I pan, and I don't know whether it's normal or something I"m doing wrong.....video is in 4K 24fps....any thoughts advice or comments are always appreciated! Thanks!

This really only happens when I pan, and I don't know whether it's normal or something I"m doing wrong.....video is in 4K 24fps....any thoughts advice or comments are always appreciated! Thanks!

Yes but its not the drone, its most likely the codec that your using to edit the video .
Its easy to check and 4K is not easy to do unless you have a power computer.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain
Coal

Reactions: mmoguls
I saw the video before it was edited....that's why I edited to begin with, so I could get to the stuttery parts. It was worse when I was using airplay to see it on the TV but figured that could be the connection, which it was, but I still saw some directly connected to the SD card, not a lot , but some for sure.

I saw the video before it was edited....that's why I edited to begin with, so I could get to the stuttery parts. It was worse when I was using airplay to see it on the TV but figured that could be the connection, which it was, but I still saw some directly connected to the SD card, not a lot , but some for sure.

You should not play 4K on the SD card its not a true test.
You need to drag it from the SD card to a Power Computer that can play that 4K smoothly.

If its the drone the problem will occur no matter what footage you shoot but I still think this is a codec issue and or computer issue for 4K footage.
I had to spend a small fortune to edit 4K nicely.

Last edited:
It looks fairly normal, you might improve things by acquiring a couple of ND filters so you can introduce slight motion blur with a slower shutter but no need to get hung up on it.
Keep your pans to a minimum however tempting, and make them as slow as possible.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I tend to think it might be what @4wd advised above . . . do you recall, or is there any way to see data on, what your shutter speed was ?
If it was faster than 1/50, especially considerably faster, you will get that 'robotic' look.

My 2 cents (What I think might cause the stutter):
1) 24 fps usually causes stutter when panning fast. Try increasing the fps.
2) Your EXP setting is so bad. I can see it start & stop ABRUPTLY. Try smoothing the movement. There are a lot of YouTube videos on changing the EXP setting.
3) Use waypoints. Computer will do twist and turn smoother than amateur humans do. DJI has improved waypoints, it's smoother now.
4) 4k on my iPad Pro doesn't cause stutter. I use Lumafusion app.

That has nothing to do with exp settings or anything like that.
Try 30fps, makes it at least a little bit smoother.
If you shoot 2,7k with 60fps, you probably won't see that stutter at all.

But i still haven't tried 2,7k 60fps in depth, if its working for me regarding picture quality

Based on vid's I've seen on the subject - I'd back the suggestions that the 24 fps frame rate is too low. If you get that frame rate up, then there is less radial movement between frames, and it will appear smoother. Another way to do this is to do the pan super-slow (Tripod mode), and then speed it up when you video edit. That way you effectively increase your frame rate.

More fps will definitely smoothen everything. Nothing else really helps there.
Go into the cinema, if you pay attention, you see a lot of stutter in the background! It's just physics...

I think I also see dorp frames in your video, not sure. Means, you import a 24fps video but you timeline is 25fps. So the software needs to compensate that... Google it for more info. Maybe I'm wrong, but also good to know, if you don't.

Standard computer monitors run at 60Hz which is not a multiple of 24, so playing 24fps content requires the computer to duplicate some frames but not others resulting in jumps/stutters.

This is completely normal and is due to the speed in which you pan.

As an example, if shooting 35mm film, on a 50mm lens shooting 24fps, a smooth, non-jittery 90 degree pan will take 23 seconds.

More info HERE

It is the combination of the speed you move (pan) and the shutter. Just realize: 24 fps means, that if the time you pan is 3 seconds, you have 72 "pictures". The faster you move, the more "distance" will be between every single picture. Put them together to a film and you will see the stuttering. The solution will be, higher fps and slower moves.

This is my story. I had the same issue like the OP.

I worked for a year to get rif of the "stutter": Technical term is JUDDER.

- I upgraded my powerful Win 10 machine with an upscale Nvidia card.
- I tried all kinds of panning speeds, different frame rates.
- I tried all kinds of editing tricks and delivery formats in Davinci Resolve.
- I tried 4 different video players: VLC in all kinds of configurations, WMP, MPC-HC x64, Windows native player.

Nothing helped. I got nuts!

Early January it was time to replace my 10 year old TV and I bought the latest Samsung QLED 8k.
I have this 512GB SSD USB Stick (15x faster than regular 3.0 USB Sticks), put my videos on it and plugged it into the TV (which only has USB 2.0!)

Everything is smooth as butter! I couldn't believe it!
No judder! There never was any!

Of course it has nothing to do with the TV resolution - it is that feature called AUTO MOTION PLUS.
If I deactivate it I have judder.
Other manufacturers have similar technology under different names.

I said: WTF!
Why can't an upscale Windows machine handle this. Why is there nothing like Auto Motion Plus for PC or Mac?

The SMOOTH VIDEO PROJECT has a workaround but it's not ideal I find:
SVP – SmoothVideo Project – Real Time Video Frame Rate Conversion

Why can't Microsoft do what Samsung or Panasonic or LG and others can do??

BTW:
Film Makers don't like motion smoothing which is usually set to ON by default on newer TV sets.
This is why - but I cant care less. I want panning without judder:

If II shoot 30fps, it looks great on my phone, a bit stutter on my TV.
Shooting 25fps, other way round.
4k 60fps would be the solution. Thank you dji

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suretybondsa