DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Xiaomi's entrance in the drone market. DJI should seriously pay attention to their customers now.

I have been with DJI starting with the Phantom 2 vision. Have pretty much all the lines: Phantom 3A, 3P, 4A, 4P, MP, MPP, MP2Pro. Have so far never been interested or tempted to try any others. With DJI, I have only been a bit disappointed with MP2 Pro and the "smart controller".
But this drone is very interesting. Check this out:
If you dislike DJI, this may be a viable option.
If you like DJI, this may cause them to lower prices.

I think it is worth keeping an eye on. See what they come up with next. Love my MP but I'm going to keep an eye on their line.

The price alone will definitely wake DJI UP, it looks like a pretty good drone being their first one... If they plan to get big like DJI they have the potential and thats good news for each one of us.. Let them battle it out it only benefits us.... We'll have to wait and see...

Won’t win any awards for its looks? Perhaps modeled on a brick. But I’m all for competition as it seems once you get your drone from DJI any meaningful enhancement seems to only apply to the newest model.

The price alone will definitely wake DJI UP, it looks like a pretty good drone being their first one... If they plan to get big like DJI they have the potential and thats good news for each one of us.. Let them battle it out it only benefits us.... We'll have to wait and see...
I believe It's at least their 3rd, they had the MI 4K that looked like a cross between the phantom and a brick and then the FIMI 3 and now the FIMI X8 SE. There has been talk of a FIMI X8 pro version that may have sensors. I definitely agree with everyone that says competition is good for the market and the customers.

Looks very good on paper and I always thought that the Collision Avoidance feature was overrated - but then I tend not to fly close to things.

Question about the Sony Sensor. Does 1/2.3" mean a little bigger than 1/2"?

Would 0.8" (0.5 + 0.3) be equivalent to 1/2.3"? If so then it's a lot bigger than 1/2" - closer to 1".

Sorry for the dumb questions.

Edit: And have a gander at the design of the RC - totally perfect for iPad Mini !

Last edited:

View attachment 68137

1/2.3” sensor is slightly smaller than 1/2”.

Generally larger sensors make it easier to separate a subject from its background and can capture more light ( so in low light conditions you’ll have less possibility for noise ).

There are some other factors involved, so maybe have a look here:

Last edited:
Would 0.8" (0.5 + 0.3) be equivalent to 1/2.3"? If so then it's a lot bigger than 1/2" - closer to 1".
Don't try to make sense of sensor size names - they make no sense.
1/2.3" is the tiny sensor size that you find in the original Mavic and lots of other cheap drones.
The 1" sensor in the M2 pro is about four times as big.
i-XVbML6P-L.jpg

There's nothing about a 1 inch sensor that measures 1 inch.

Last edited:
Reactions: LazyBird
Don't try to make sense of sensor size names - they make no sense.
1/2.3" is the tiny sensor size that you find in the original Mavic and lots of other cheap drones.
The 1" sensor in the M2 pro is about four times as big.
There's nothing about a 1 inch sensor that measures 1 inch.
i-XVbML6P-L.jpg
Having been pretty into photography for at least 25 years, I’ve still never really gotten a grasp on size naming conventions. 1/2.3 doesn’t make a lot of sense. As you say, a “1 inch” sensor really isn’t, but what does the M2P have? The diagram suggests it’s only a bit larger than the Air’s, but you mentioned 4x the size. The diagram doesn’t seem right, but like I said, aside from APSC and full frame, I have given up understanding.

Having been pretty into photography for at least 25 years, I’ve still never really gotten a grasp on size naming conventions. 1/2.3 doesn’t make a lot of sense. As you say, a “1 inch” sensor really isn’t, but what does the M2P have? The diagram suggests it’s only a bit larger than the Air’s, but you mentioned 4x the size. The diagram doesn’t seem right, but like I said, aside from APSC and full frame, I have given up understanding.
The diagram is correct except for the M2 pro label - I'll fix that.
The M2P has a "one inch" sensor, the same size sensor as the Phantom 4 pro

Here's an explanation of how sensor sizes came to be so confusingly named:
Sensor sizes are expressed in inches notation because at the time of the popularization of digital image sensors they were used to replace video camera tubes. The common 1" circular video camera tubes have a rectangular photo sensitive area about 16 mm diagonal, so a digital sensor with a 16 mm diagonal size is a 1" video tube equivalent. The name of a 1" digital sensor should more accurately be read as "one inch video camera tube equivalent" sensor. Current digital image sensor size descriptors are the video camera tube equivalency size, not the actual size of the sensor. For example, a 1" sensor has a diagonal measurement of 16 mm

Reactions: pvs and sar104

Sensor sizes are expressed in inches notation because at the time of the popularization of digital image sensors they were used to replace video camera tubes. The common 1" circular video camera tubes have a rectangular photo sensitive area about 16 mm diagonal, so a digital sensor with a 16 mm diagonal size is a 1" video tube equivalent. The name of a 1" digital sensor should more accurately be read as "one inch video camera tube equivalent" sensor. Current digital image sensor size descriptors are the video camera tube equivalency size, not the actual size of the sensor. For example, a 1" sensor has a diagonal measurement of 16 mm
Gotcha. I don’t have an M2P but I have a Sony RX100M6 with a “1 inch” sensor (my guess the same one in the M2P) and I know the sensor isn’t REALLY 1 inch, but was going to be annoyed if it was that small!

Sorry to take this completely off topic, but (obviously not that sorry since I’m continuing) do you know if the M2P has the same sensor as the P4P (I’d guess so since it would make business sense to use the same one given the same size; and I know the “Hasselblad” thing is mostly/completely marketing bunk (I’ve heard it’s the same Sony one used in its own RX line but have no confirmation))? I understand that the Phantom has a mechanical shutter, but I’m just curious. My suspicion is that DJI will expand the Mavic line to equal/exceed the Phantom camera capabilities soon. If in fact it is the same sensor, and if they could work in a mechanical shutter with something along the lines of a Mavic 2 form factor, it’d be hard to imagine a more perfect drone (assuming they could manage to keep it under $2000 or so), at least for those who don’t want to deal with the size of an Inspire or Matrice capable of much bigger cameras.

(My other random thought for a great feature would be a constant down-facing camera, maybe not even a great one, that would be helpful in seeing exactly what we’re flying over, maybe with a quick-switch function on the app while keeping the main camera pointed at/filming wherever we want, or maybe a “picture-in-picture” function, if the bandwidth would allow it.)

do you know if the M2P has the same sensor as the P4P (I’d guess so since it would make business sense to use the same one given the same size; and I know the “Hasselblad” thing is mostly/completely marketing bunk (I’ve heard it’s the same Sony one used in its own RX line but have no confirmation))?
It's a Sony sensor and it's the same size as those in the RX100 and M2pro but I've heard a suggestion (unconfirmed) that it might not be exactly the same version.
This will give you an idea of what Hasselblad's input was:

It's a Sony sensor and it's the same size as those in the RX100 and M2pro but I've heard a suggestion (unconfirmed) that it might not be exactly the same version.
This will give you an idea of what Hasselblad's input was:
Thank you. This is very interesting (and probably worthy of a separate thread, although it may have been covered before). I’m aware of the Hasselblad/DJI relationship/ownership, but Hasselblad was always known for its camera mechanics, not its lenses, and of course not sensors, which didn’t exist when it came to fame. The blog post asked “First question is likely to be: ‘is this a real Hasselblad?’ – I think the answer is yes.” (Note that the author acknowledges being an employee of DJI/Hasselblad, for what it’s worth).

This question is sort of nonsensical because it begs the question, in a logical sense. Hasselblad was never a pioneer in lenses, and there appears to be nothing in the M2P that has anything to do with Hasselblad’s engineering at all (I have a classic MF Hasselblad, with a Zeiss lens, and as much as I love it, the M2P takes much better pictures). Sure, a Hasselblad was used for the photos of the moon landings (one of their claims to fame). But the M2P’s camera is completely unrelated to that or to any other camera Hasselblad ever designed, as far as I can tell.

That’s why I commented that it was entirely marketing bunk. At least with respect to the M2P, “Hasselblad” is clearly being used for marketing purposes without any real connection with the company’s other cameras. The reality is that the camera/gimbal system on the M2P is far better than anything Hasselblad ever produced, despite the fact that DJI is attempting to capitalize on the latter’s name.

Last edited:
Any company who wants to catch DJI must offer a 1 inch sensor now. It's a great bird and would have been excellent competition for the original Mavic Pro but it's a little late. Personally, I never use the obstacle avoidance on DJI products.
Excellent starter bird though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh