DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yes, the Mavic can make a fine handheld unit

Robert Mitchell

Reactions
So, is it the perfect hand held device? No. But, given the portability and capabilities of the camera, it isn't bad when you want to supplement existing aerial footage with a minimum of equipment.

The State Park I was in disallows drones, so without cheating, I did all I could under the circumstances.

I hold the Mavic in one hand and run the device with the other... sometimes a little ungainly, but once running you can actually set the controller down and do your shot.

Obviously, I captured the sound of the falls on a separate device and added in post.

Reactions: Pedro and dirkclod
Maybe a good application for using WIFI mode instead of the remote.
Indeed, I didn't even think of that. I'll give it a try.

I would want to remove the props in that case because when using the controller you at least have the safety of a needed CSC before it will start.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to start using the device only. I'd hate to accidentally do a takeoff swipe on my pants or something.

Last edited:
Wow. Small world. I took some footage like that this weekend. Actually I did fly the drone later in tripod mode and got a better shot. Also, did some hand held footage walking down a narrow path to the brook. There's no way I would have trusted myself to fly in that tight space. Yeah, and took the props off ahead of time. The gimbal does a great job of smoothing out the shot. Tons of stuff to process, but when I get it all together I'll post a link

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
So, is it the perfect hand held device? No. But, given the portability and capabilities of the camera, it isn't bad when you want to supplement existing aerial footage with a minimum of equipment.

The State Park I was in disallows drones, so without cheating, I did all I could under the circumstances.

I hold the Mavic in one hand and run the device with the other... sometimes a little ungainly, but once running you can actually set the controller down and do your shot.

Obviously, I captured the sound of the falls on a separate device and added in post.

Aw, tell the truth... you have a Karma!

The second (@0:35) and third (@1:10) clips are hand held. The third clip is a little more jittery than I wanted, but I was more concerned about slipping in the mud than getting the shot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan