DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yoooo, newbie here. I have some newbie questions too!

charlie.h1998

Reactions
Hello folks!

Newbie here from California, I'm new to drones but been dreaming to have one for a long time... Just got a brand-new non-combo DJI Air 2S today for $800 cash. I'm very happy about the price!
Yep I also got some newbie questions, hope you guys can solve my puzzle:
  1. Should I go with the Part 107 or Exception for Recreational Flyers registration? I might fly my drone at night.
  2. Do I need an anti-collision light at night?
  3. How many satellites locked are considered safe enough to fly my drone?
Thanks!

Hello from the Crossroads of America charlie.h1998.

1) Register as a Recreational Pilot unless you are flying commercially. You can fly at night as a recreational pilot.

2) Strobe light(s) are required when flying at night. I purchased a four pack of ARC V's and used these mounts from Aerial-Pixel.

3) When the home point has been established (Big yellow H) it's safe to fly. Usually about 10 satellites.

Welcome to the Forum. 😎

Thank you!

Reactions: Droniac and Steel63
Hi! Welcome to the forum!

About the GPS thing this is what I would recommend:
Wait for the home point to be set before taking off. Turn your phone volume up so you can hear the sounds. Normally you will hear "The home point has been updated, please check it on the map" then you're good to fly!
Also don't forget to set the Return to home altitude high enough, depends on how high the buildings are in your area. For me it is set to 60 meters and it is enough, but in some areas I set it to 120 meters (400 feet), it depends on the situation.

Last edited:
Hello from Minnesota and welcome to the Forum...Congratulations on your new DJI Air 2S and wanting to know how to fly right... There's a lot of good quality teaching/feedback going on in here. Just ask and the experts are great on helping and providing feedback. Remember to Fly safe and Fly smart.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching
and stay safe.. Thumbswayup

Hello folks!

Newbie here from California, I'm new to drones but been dreaming to have one for a long time... Just got a brand-new non-combo DJI Air 2S today for $800 cash. I'm very happy about the price!
  1. Should I go with the Part 107 or Exception for Recreational Flyers registration? I might fly my drone at night.
Thanks!
Welcome from the mountains of Western NC. Used to live in San Jose when working in Santa Clara many moons ago. Some great drone places around for sure.

Everyone else has provided key info - except - get a couple of apps like Aloft, B4UFLY, and or UAVForecast. These apps will tell you many things you as a pilot need to know BEFORE launching - like how many satellites are covering your flying area, wind speed (very critical you need this one, esp at altitude), and other things. The Bay Area does have some higher winds speeds (esp coastline Half moon Bay down past Monterrey) so understanding when and when not to fly will save you $$$$ (lost / crashed drone). Also read posts about crashes and WHY they occured in the forum. Many pilots don't take into account wind speeds & direction and end up losing their drone on the way home when their battery drains to far and not close to homepoint.

Should be some great flat wide open areas headed down towards Hollister to practice, practice, and more practice. Learn the drone and it's behavior before attempting Half Moon Bay or filming the surfers when doing Maverick.

Happy flying and post the pics / vids.

P.S. - to post vids here you'll need a 3rd party site like YouTube, VIMEO, or others to post a link here. Most pics are fine, unless they are super large in size.

Welcome to the forum! :)

If you have not taken the test and received your 107 cert, you cannot register for other than recreational....but you do need to register the drone itself at the FAA's DroneZone...you do also have to take a very simple test and obtain your TRUST certificate....
This sectional was posted in a different thread by @AMann and should be very helpful for you..there is a minimum altitude restriction of 1,000 feet...which simply means it is completely off limits, as maximum altitude for a drone is 400 feet...there are a lot of youtube videos you should watch to get the rules of the road....good luck with the new chopper ...have fun
1636218320331.png

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots!:) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Hello folks!

Thanks!
I read a similar post where he went to his “local shop” And walked out with an air2s new in box for 700$. Wow.

I read a similar post where he went to his “local shop” And walked out with an air2s new in box for 700$. Wow.
Wonder where his "local shop" is haha.
My seller posted for $899 and I offered $760 in the beginning. I knew it was already too low for him to accept, but it worth a try and ended up with $800.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lab916