DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

You Might Want To Watch This Before Buying Platinum Pro Props

Robbyg

Reactions
I just saw this video from Dragon7 and I figured I would give you guys a heads up.
It might be an individual problem or it might be a compatibility issue that may or may not be fixable by a firmware update. Either way i think we need more tests done to confirm the issue.

If it is a truly a compatibility issue then we need to hear from DJI if it's a known issue and can/will be fixed with a firmware update. Unfortunately for those of us like me running older firmware it becomes a moot point if the problem is systemic to all Mavic Pro's running the older firmware.

Rob

Very helpful ... Thanks.

I honestly believe if I see anymore on these props reviews and I have them I will get Admin to start another section just for them .
facepalm.gif

I honestly believe if I see anymore on these props reviews and I have them I will get Admin to start another section just for them .
You sound salty. :)

The props are the first hardware update to our drones. They are cheap, just becoming available, and people are excited and curious about them. Can't expect everything to be discussed in one thread. It gets too busy and overwhelming trying to keep track of all the side conversations in a 20 page thread which eventually goes off the rails anyway.

A new section just for props would be worse. I was just thinking how silly it is that we have a "Mavic Pro" section and a "Mavic Pro Platinum" section. They are the same drones. The discussions in those two sections will be completely redundant unless someone is only talking about motors, and I rarely see a motor discussion.

My $.02

I just saw this video from Dragon7 and I figured I would give you guys a heads up....
Rob
Thanks for the share. I hadn't seen this.
From other replies it sounds like it may be nothing new. Hope that's the case!

Reactions: Robbyg
I was just thinking how silly it is that we have a "Mavic Pro" section and a "Mavic Pro Platinum" section.

I was just thinking how silly it is sometimes that we have a Mavic Pro Discussion and a General Discussion and a Off Topic Discussion. People on here post anywhere. It is a really blurry line between some of those discussions.

Reactions: KiterTodd
I was just thinking how silly it is sometimes that we have a Mavic Pro Discussion and a General Discussion and a Off Topic Discussion. People on here post anywhere. It is a really blurry line between some of those discussions.
Agreed. The discussion on the latest firmware is in this forum. The previous one was in the Firmware forum. There are discussions about the props in this forum, the Platinum forum, the General forum, and probably the news forum. If we need a separate forum for the props, it probably needs to be further separated for the gold tipped and platinum tipped. :rolleyes:

View attachment 23412

We discussed this but I'm still surprised this board doesn't have several sticky "Megathreads" for FW updates, App updates etc.. but I guess people would still ignore them because they want their OWN discussion about the FW experience they just had so you end up with 15 separate threads on every minor FW update..

You sound salty. :)

The props are the first hardware update to our drones. They are cheap, just becoming available, and people are excited and curious about them. Can't expect everything to be discussed in one thread. It gets too busy and overwhelming trying to keep track of all the side conversations in a 20 page thread which eventually goes off the rails anyway.

A new section just for props would be worse. I was just thinking how silly it is that we have a "Mavic Pro" section and a "Mavic Pro Platinum" section. They are the same drones. The discussions in those two sections will be completely redundant unless someone is only talking about motors, and I rarely see a motor discussion.

My $.02
We discussed this but I'm still surprised this board doesn't have several sticky "Megathreads" for FW updates, App updates etc.. but I guess people would still ignore them because they want their OWN discussion about the FW experience they just had so you end up with 15 separate threads on every minor FW update..
Ok guy's sorry I posted that . If you saw all I do and Try and keep things organised you would have understood where I was coming from . I'm here everyday many hours and see all or try to .
That was mostly a poke at Rob .
Now no more of this and let's stay On Topic
Sorry Rob I took it off course .

Funny this should come up. I'm still waiting for my new props, but I did some flying this weekend to capture some of the foliage here in VT. It was the earliest in the day I had ever flown, and my videos are peppered with prop shadows when I turned towards the sun. The prop motion tended to slice up the glare pretty badly. (4K/30) I'm going to have to chop up the video royally in order for any of it to be useful. Again - this was still with the standard props.

I was originally worried that it might have been due to my crash a few weeks ago, but there are only some VERY minor microscratches on the lens, and the only way I can see them is to view them at the perfect angle with a strong oblique flashlight. Given the consistency of my prop shadows, I can't call them related. I would have expected the randomness of these microscratches to cause equally random glare, if anything at all. My thoughts now are that I should have flown with a hood to minimize the glare. I suspect filters would have made it worse.

Bottom line, I'm not worried about the new props at all.

LP

Dirk LOL this is your only warning or I will close the thread:)

Guys to be honest with you I have seen the props show up in video but the banding was only in sports mode and was only at the top and not as flat as these lines. Dragon was doing A/B testing and the regular props did not show up in their test but the Platinum showed up in their test from the top of the video frame to the bottom. As he said he has shot 500 videos and never had that problem before.

Just my 2 cents but more testing is needed.

Rob

Last edited:
Dirk LOL this is your only warning or I will close the thread:)

Guys to be honest with you I have seen the props show up in video but the banding was only in sports mode and was only at the top and not as flat as these lines. Dragon was doing A/B testing and the regular props did not show up in their test but the Platinum showed up in their test from the top of the video frame to the bottom. As he said he has shot 500 videos and never had that problem before.

Just my 2 cents but more testing is needed.

Rob

Well here's my example...standard mavic props, NOT sport mode, shadows at the bottom. What's interesting is that I've never seen it before on any of my previous flights. So if it's new across the board, then it's the firmware (or damage). Strangely enough my Mavic also seems louder with the latest firmware.

LP

Well here's my example...standard mavic props, NOT sport mode, shadows at the bottom. What's interesting is that I've never seen it before on any of my previous flights. So if it's new across the board, then it's the firmware (or damage). Strangely enough my Mavic also seems louder with the latest firmware.[/MEDIA]

LP
That's interesting. I have never seen that either (although I trust that it has occurred for others in the past, for the discussed reasons).

I wonder if in the firmware mods they made for new props, they also altered the RPM of the old props? If so, perhaps it just randomly ends up in closer sync with the frame right (much higher multiplier, of course) and shows up in videos.

That's a head scratcher. In the new firmware/app combo, is there now a menu selection to configure the prop type that you have installed? There should be. Otherwise, if they are making a blanket RPM adjustment for both props, then yes, I can absolutely see this happening.

Now the loudness part I get. That's just marketing to make it more apparent that users should upgrade their props. :D

That's interesting. I have never seen that either (although I trust that it has occurred for others in the past, for the discussed reasons).

I wonder if in the firmware mods they made for new props, they also altered the RPM of the old props? If so, perhaps it just randomly ends up in closer sync with the frame right (much higher multiplier, of course) and shows up in videos.

That's a head scratcher. In the new firmware/app combo, is there now a menu selection to configure the prop type that you have installed? There should be. Otherwise, if they are making a blanket RPM adjustment for both props, then yes, I can absolutely see this happening.

Now the loudness part I get. That's just marketing to make it more apparent that users should upgrade their props. :D

Still doesn't seem consistent with cam damage to me, so it's either inherent, or DJI changed something. Anyone disagree? Can you come up with a scenario where damage could cause it?

LP

I wonder if in the firmware mods they made for new props, they also altered the RPM of the old props?
They can't just change the RPM, that would change what the drone does (i.e., assuming the weight and props are the same, if you were at X rpm to hover, reducing that to Y rpm would cause it to descend)

In the new firmware/app combo, is there now a menu selection to configure the prop type that you have installed? There should be. Otherwise, if they are making a blanket RPM adjustment for both props, then yes, I can absolutely see this happening.
No there is not. Either they don't care which prop is on there, because the speed is constantly adjusting to whatever it needs to be to perform the requested move, or, they could be sensing which props are on during the initial spin-ups (they may have slightly different inertia or drag characteristics).

Reactions: guest1231
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser