DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

You Might Want To Watch This Before Buying Platinum Pro Props

Might actually be reflected sunlight? I haven't had the new props in my hands yet but aren't the tips bent slightly?

I'd expect shadows to come in from the top.

Think about the geometry - they will come in from the bottom when the sun drops lower in the sky.

They can't just change the RPM, that would change what the drone does (i.e., assuming the weight and props are the same, if you were at X rpm to hover, reducing that to Y rpm would cause it to descend)

No there is not. Either they don't care which prop is on there, because the speed is constantly adjusting to whatever it needs to be to perform the requested move, or, they could be sensing which props are on during the initial spin-ups (they may have slightly different inertia or drag characteristics).
Interesting response all around. Thanks.

In reading some other posts they made it sound like DJI would be adjusting the RPM limits due to the different lift/torque performance of the new blades. I don't have that exact, I know, but the point was the props will generate different lift at different RPMs so flight improvements could be made with firmware updates.

Now, I and others agreed that while the firmware updates may be nice, they are likely not required. Each motor is just going to adjust RPM as needed to position the Mavic where it is commanded to be. Until it reaches max RPM.

Interesting note on them possibly being able to detect the props on startup. Makes you wonder. That said, I'd be more comfortable with them leaving the proven flight characteristics for the old props unchanged, and making the "improved" characteristics for the new props, optional.

In reading some other posts they made it sound like DJI would be adjusting the RPM limits due to the different lift/torque performance of the new blades.
That is still entirely possible... the new blades require lower RPMs for the same thrust, so the LIMITS could be different (e.g. a high RPM with the new props might indicate an anomaly, while that same speed is still considered normal for the old ones). But if so, those would be upper and/or lower limits. Doesn't change the fact that within that range, they necessarily have to be whatever RPM is required to provide the needed thrust, and that number WILL be different between the two props. You can't arbitrarily change the RPM and NOT get a corresponding change in lift.

Think about the geometry - they will come in from the bottom when the sun drops lower in the sky.

I am. A prop shadow, since the props are above the camera, would cover the whole camera at noon, progress towards covering just the upper half of the camera as the sun started going down, to a point where the sun got low enough there would be no shadow from the props on the camera at all.

Sunlight that is not going through the props would be what comes in from the bottom, what goes through the props would be at the top of the image.

Good information.
Thanks for your efforts.
The reduction in noise is negligible IMO but the prop shadow lines are a major issue

I am. A prop shadow, since the props are above the camera, would cover the whole camera at noon, progress towards covering just the upper half of the camera as the sun started going down, to a point where the sun got low enough there would be no shadow from the props on the camera at all.

Sunlight that is not going through the props would be what comes in from the bottom, what goes through the props would be at the top of the image.

So how do explain my video?

LP

Did I hear it mentioned that the platinum props cause the mavic to tilt forward more than the standard props during forward flight at the same speeds?

More tilt = More shadowing

Rob

Last edited:
That's why I asked if it was actually a reflection? Are the ends of the new props slightly angled?

My video was with the standard props....my 8331s have not arrived yet. My point was that the reflections were at the bottom. That said, after reviewing my footage again, I guess one could argue that the shadow covered the whole lens, it's just that it wasn't visible at the top because the lens flare at the bottom was so much more prevalent.

LP

Reactions: tracer bullet
Prop shadows is one thing, but I've seen a report of the new props hitting the Mavic body while in flight around the area where the rear arm folds.. It's highly unlikely as there's a good amount of space in between from the pics I've seen. But it's something I would check when I get my new props. Wish I could post the pic here. It was posted on one of the Mavic groups on FB.

I've seen a report of the new props hitting the Mavic body while in flight around the area where the rear arm folds
The new props are closer to the body, but there is still plenty of clearance.

Props.jpg

Reactions: LongRifle
The new props are closer to the body, but there is still plenty of clearance.
View attachment 23486
Maybe they flex under load (turns, acceleration, deceleration) and at those times the thin flexible tips can contact the lower corners of the body.

Man, it's sure sounding like DJI didn't flush all the kinks out of the props. I suspect 90% of users won't notice any of these things, but it's supposed to be an easy replacement with no changes other than quieter flight.

Man, it's sure sounding like DJI didn't flush all the kinks out of the props.
We could just be jumping to conclusions too. I'd be surprised if DJI did not thoroughly test these props for some time before they were released.

I've flown mine at all speeds and nary a scratch on the drone or props.
Clearance doesn't sound like the issue.

just a thought on the side to side I'm not seeing much of a diff in the noise BUT what was the rpm of the two tests? even at 100 rpm diff could have a HUGE impact on it, just wondering thanks for the review!!

Well .I find the props alot quieter. I can't get anyone to hear me now when I try warn them about Sharks near them .Going to need a siren

Reactions: phoenix3
Like "jello effect" prop shadows are fairly common for drones. This isn't something a firmware update will take care of. You can do things like use ND filters to slow down shutter speed or you can avoid flying toward the sun all together. Never had good luck with lens hoods but from what I've read, using these can help reduce prop shadows.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure