DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

YouTube Blocked my Video

The trick is to practice fair use of copy righted material. If you give credit to the artist in your video then that is considered as fair use of copyright. I have been using background music with very little issue using this. Hope that helps. Here’s a sample of my video with music background and credit. sometimes they take it down but I just dispute sand advise them I am following the fair use of copyright and they unblock them. I do this trick in Facebook as well.

This seems like it would be a "no-brainer" and is a really good suggestion that I'll use. Most of the time it would not harm anything to have a credit to the artist at the beginning, end, or both to get around censors. It's funny I never thought to do this. Good tip!

I used to have a problem with adding music I bought over the years to YT videos but in the last couple of years they have been accepting the music with the note back to me that the holder of the copyright will get any proceeds. I don't monetize my videos so it doesn't bother me, but the whole topic confuses me

Just got my OSMO Action last week in time for my Granddaughters College Graduation Party. I filmed the party that was at my son's house. While filming, there was background music. Once I spent hours editing, I uploaded to YouTube to share with family.
Because of the background music (Frank Sinatra) they blocked it. If I remove the sound track, there goes all the voice which is what I really want. Seems lame to me, but be aware. I haven't figured out a way to separate the voice form the background music since it's all on the same track. So if you're at an event filming, and they are playing music I the background, you're out of luck. Seems pretty restricting. Anyone know of a better way to share videos other than YouTube?
Email.

Just got my OSMO Action last week in time for my Granddaughters College Graduation Party. I filmed the party that was at my son's house. While filming, there was background music. Once I spent hours editing, I uploaded to YouTube to share with family.
Because of the background music (Frank Sinatra) they blocked it. If I remove the sound track, there goes all the voice which is what I really want. Seems lame to me, but be aware. I haven't figured out a way to separate the voice form the background music since it's all on the same track. So if you're at an event filming, and they are playing music I the background, you're out of luck. Seems pretty restricting. Anyone know of a better way to share videos other than YouTube?

Vimeo. I put all my "copyright questionable" material there. I have over 800 YouTube videos...and like 5 Vimeo videos. When I need to blatantly break copyright laws to get a point across, that's the place I go.

D

I once posted a video on how to assemble an AR-15. YouTube banned it in less than a week. Why? Because it showed how to assemble an AR-15.
I moved it to my personal GoogleCloud and passed access to it to a few others.

Assembling a gun and music copyright infringement are two completely different issues. One breaches the TOS/Community Guidelines, the other does not.

I have used copyrighted music in my video posted on YT (I'm not a monetised channel). I've had copyright claims against those videos, but never had any removed. Normally it jsut means I can't monetise those videos (if I was lucky enough to be monetised!) and they reserve the right to put adverts on those videos.
Some people mentioned Vimeo. I don't see how Vimeo is related other than if they issued a copyright claim. Had that been the case, you should have received an email or notification in your YT.

On a similar note I did see a famous female publish a short video mimicing Miley Cyrus latest video (latex,bondage,fat people). MIleys is fine according to YT, but the famous female who did the mimic (no music copyright!) was removed for being outside the Community Guidelines. Which was the whole point of the famous females experiment. Go figure! Youtube are hypocrites.

Thanks again for all the insight, suggestions and maybe a touch of sympathy. At least I now know in the future I will try to tone down any copyrighted protected background music. I use Photoshop CC combined with Adobe Premiere Elements to edit so I can usually remove the sound track. I will look into Amarand's suggestion if it's possible to use a separate mic with the OSMO Action.
I don't know if you are aware, but at the current time there is no provision on the OSMO Action for an external microphone.

This seems like it would be a "no-brainer" and is a really good suggestion that I'll use. Most of the time it would not harm anything to have a credit to the artist at the beginning, end, or both to get around censors. It's funny I never thought to do this. Good tip!
It's not a bad idea to name the song but won't make any difference if it's on their blocked list.
You can check the list here before rendering and uploading with one that won't be allowed.
However, songs go on (and off) the list all the time.

Reactions: kjcbid54
Some people mentioned Vimeo. I don't see how Vimeo is related
Vimeo is an alternative video hosting service that doesn't do the same copyright shenanigans that Youtube does. They won't block your video like youtube did for OP, so it could be a suitable alternative.

Reactions: RWD
This seems like it would be a "no-brainer" and is a really good suggestion that I'll use. Most of the time it would not harm anything to have a credit to the artist at the beginning, end, or both to get around censors.
It does nothing good at all in the case of youtube since the system is automated, it's just a computer scrubbing the audio and flagging your video if anything on record is found.

Youtube are hypocrites.
Definitely. All their TOS are vague so they can basically twist them either way on a case by case basis to get the better of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: RWD
Google Photos is the platform for sharing photo/video albums with friends/family. Youtube is more meant for public things. Google drive would work as well.

Also keep in mind that YT is a profit venture for Google and over the past 1-2 years, they have been attempting to make revenue from it. It is no longer just a place to store videos for friends to watch... it is more like TV and each "uploaded" is a producer. So people who upload content now need to create videos as if they were TV shows.... or at least with the same legal aspect.
When will we ever learn...... YT is run by liberal hyenas and things will only get worst........ REGARDLESS of my political persuasion, I know the score

The trick is to practice fair use of copy righted material. If you give credit to the artist in your video then that is considered as fair use of copyright. I have been using background music with very little issue using this. Hope that helps. Here’s a sample of my video with music background and credit. sometimes they take it down but I just dispute sand advise them I am following the fair use of copyright and they unblock them. I do this trick in Facebook as well.

Truth be known...... many of us would rather have the pilots commentary instead of some of this “music”

Reactions: dfb
Hi mate, it is a violations I learned the hard way with my sons YouTube channel www.thegaragetv.com
YouTube took down everything. Though now we use the free videos on the YouTube library.
I also have an account with another source that I pay a monthly subscription and get unlimited music. I used in my drone video.

Might not help you out now but keep in mind for the next video you do.
Thanks

Another option I haven't seen anyone mention is Amazon Drive. If you have Prime you also have up to 1TB of storage space on their servers. Once setup, you can easily share/stream videos to friends/family.

Reactions: lilewis
Federal legislation leaves A LOT to be desired......

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J