DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone use the MavMount for iPad?

wow, that's really sexy like that!

Does anyone know any Coupon Codes for MavMount? About to pick one up, but I saw a place to enter a code...

Does anyone know any Coupon Codes for MavMount? About to pick one up, but I saw a place to enter a code...
Hey Nick, no coupons, but some of them are on sale, no coupon needed for those.

Reactions: Nick Thomas
Hey Nick, no coupons, but some of them are on sale, no coupon needed for those.
Cheers Mr West. BTW, what length cable is required to go from the controller back (full size) USB port to the iPad mini lightning port comfortably? i.e. not too long not too short. Thanks.

Cheers Mr West. BTW, what length cable is required to go from the controller back (full size) USB port to the iPad mini lightning port comfortably? i.e. not too long not too short. Thanks.
I use a 12" cord i found on amazon.com. Works great for me\

Flying with the iPhone 7 (the small one) mounted below is proving difficult to do. It is hard to see, hard to touch options on the screen and also a pain as I get text messages. Also, I don't like not having any access to my phone while flying.

I have an iPad Air 2 and was thinking of justing it. I hooked it up tonight just with the wire and the screen seems so much better for flying. I was looking at this thing called the MavMount but curious what everyone thinks. It is pricey and for the version that fits the larger iPad Air 2, you have to pony up $20 more bucks on top of the high price already. It looks pretty solid though and wanted to see if anyone already uses one and what their thoughts are on it. Also, if there is any other mounts you recommend would love to hear about it.

My concerns with the MavMount is the location of the iPad and the antennas. Will it cause interference?

I've been using the MavMount with the 9.7 iPad with great success and in fact just completed my video review of it - I'll list it here but in summary it's a pleasure to use and the idea that you don't need to see the control screen is spot on. As far as interference, I am seeing full reception into the controller with no issue on video feed and with the iPad Pro it's the cellular model which I have it turned on so I get the maps etc. What I also like about it is that it takes away my worry over getting phone calls, iMessages, and other notifications which I get on my iPhone.

Anyway here is the review -

Aerial West, I bought the DirtyJDesign tablet holder. If I had to do it again then I'd get the MavMount. The DirtyJ Mount is functional but feels cheap.
Too much plastic! Yuk. When I saw that one, I instantly clicked the delete button.

Reactions: Aerial West
I've been using the MavMount with the 9.7 iPad with great success and in fact just completed my video review of it - I'll list it here but in summary it's a pleasure to use and the idea that you don't need to see the control screen is spot on. As far as interference, I am seeing full reception into the controller with no issue on video feed and with the iPad Pro it's the cellular model which I have it turned on so I get the maps etc. What I also like about it is that it takes away my worry over getting phone calls, iMessages, and other notifications which I get on my iPhone.

Anyway here is the review -
wow, thats amazing skeeter, thanks so much! I just posted it to the facebook page... awesome!

one thing you can do if you have a longer cable, is loop it through the two cord channels on the mavmount so it takes out the slack. And good on you for promoting the idea you don't need that secondary small screen at all! Too many people think its necessary.

Also, I'm sending you a gift... new ipad air 9.7 clamp to go with your others. smaller than the XL. I like it better. Thanks again.

20170130_142447.jpg

Reactions: SkeeterHarris
Too much plastic! Yuk. When I saw that one, I instantly clicked the delete button.

I've been using the DirtyJDesign mount for the last three months & wouldn't describe it as "Yuk". Would I buy a different mount if I had to do it again, yes. However, it's smaller then other tablet mounts which may be an attractive option to some. I haven't had any problems with its construction but I also rarely take my tablet out of the mount & never take it apart which may weaken the frame in time.

Hey @Aerial West quick question for ya!

Would the iPad mini mavmount be short enough to tip under the official DJI sun hood? (The one that mounts to the antennas)

I ask because I usually just shove my iPad mini in the controller arms, and the DJI sun hood works just 'ok' for glare. I have one of those cheap plastic mounts that I got off of amazon before I even got my Mavic or heard about your design. Tested it tonight and the arm extends 4" up from the baseplate, which is about 1" too much. It's a piece and I'll never use it (the cheap amazon mount, there is a pic on the first or second page of this thread) so I'm really interested in the mini mavmount.

Got the red one in my cart as I type this!

Curious if anyone has a picture of the mavmount with and iPad mini and the official DJI sun hood.

Edit: well, bought it anyway! Still hope it fits, otherwise I'll have to add more to my 'accessory' pile.

Last edited:
I bought the Dirty Design unit first but I had 3 problems.
1) I live in Southern California where the sun is very bright much of the time so I use the Hoodman sunshade which totally blocks out all light if I so choose. It adds weight to my iPad mini and it tends to twist in the DD holder.
2) The unit is not easy to store so I have to strap it to the side of my GoProfession Cases backpack.
3) The iPad ends up being too close to the antenna with the DD. On a couple of occasions I got a wifi error. I use wifi to hook up to a wifi/4G hotspot so I can use use maps. Haven't had the problem since I switched.

I have to say, though, the best thing about the DD unit is the lanyard mount. It's perfectly balanced.

If you don't have a heavy sunshade like I do then you probably won't need to mod the controller like I did.

I bought the Mavmount because I wanted something that was more sturdy. It is. The extra weight isn't an issue for me. One problem for me was that the MAVMOUNT has an odd shape so it was hard to stow. Also with the Hoodman attached it tended to bounce a bit in the controller I modded it and the controller and it fixed both problems, plus I added an lanyard mount. Here are some pix:

NAKED_PLATE.JPG
Took the hardware off.
SCREW_N_HOLDER.JPG
Found a 1/2" tripod mount screw that fit the base
SCREW IN PLACE.JPG
Moved the ball joint up to the next hole. Screw holds like a champ.
MOUNTS_ATTACHED.JPG
Sawed off a lanyard mount I had used for my racing quad (I have several). I used the original mounting screw from the base and a nut that I had. Holds extremely well but the balance is not perfect, but then nothing is these days.
SUGRU.JPG
There was still some play so I rolled some SUGRU into a small tube between my fingers and molded it into the space between the plate and the extra space on the controller.
THE_FIX.JPG
The fix! When it dries after 24 hours the SUGRU feels exactly like the rubber that DJI uses to grip the phone in the side arms. It's like hard rubber and sticks to anything. You can find it in most hardware stores or online. Comes in lots of colors. I've fixed everything except my cat with the stuff, and she's getting nervous.
THE_WAY_IT_IS.JPG
I pulled the MAVMOUNT out and let it dry for 24 hours. Looks like stock
HOODMAN_FINAL.JPG
Finished product still stands on its own plus I can disassemble it and stow it faster than I ever could with my Dirty Design clamp.

Attachments

• THE_WAY_IT_WAS.JPG
    THE_WAY_IT_WAS.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Reactions: Intrglctcrevfnk
IMG_1179.JPG IMG_0132.JPG IMG_0133.JPG I had the same issue with my mini2. A little flopping that I was not happy with. So I got out my sugru machine.

Bought myself a Mavmount yesterday, based on several reviews and positive reactions. I hope it will keep up to its expectations. Now the waiting for the postman begins. :)

Happy Flying
Brewsky

So to answer my earlier question in the thread- the official dji sun hood and the mavmount for the iPad mini will play nicely. It's not perfect but it should work for sunny days when I need it.

I've got to get out and try it of course but I was hoping not to have to go full sun hood yet. I'm just flying for fun but realize when I really need to nail a shot I'll probably have to go for a full hood.

So one set I used the iPad mounted vertical, then I used the screw hole on the back of the iPad holder itself. See attached pictures for reference.

I do have the wobble issues from this thread too when the iPad holder is used vertically and tilted all the way back.

Attachments

• IMG_1141.JPG
    IMG_1141.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1143.JPG
    IMG_1143.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1144.JPG
    IMG_1144.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1145.JPG
    IMG_1145.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 120
Sugru is probably the easiest way to get rid of the extra play.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78