DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Apple vs Android

I'm an Android guy. No Apples allowed in my house. That being said I'm getting ready to purchase the new Mavic. What manufacture tablet is the best for this guy? The tablet I purchase will only be for this drone. Do you think I will be ok with Android still or should I bite the bullet and get an Apple? I'd like to stay with Android but I believe DJI gives priority to Apple products. Thanks a lot guys.

Dan
I did not read through all of the replies to you. Normally I do. Due time I will not. I am an Android guy as well. Preferably Samsung. I have tried multiple Android devices with nothing but problems. IPad Mini 4 Works flawless. That is all I use it for.

Reactions: WestyinWC
Have you ever heard “software”? Keep compaing specs is not todays world. Sounds like you are still stuck in 90’s pc master race.

iPhone 8 Is World's Fastest Phone (It's Not Even Close)

If you're wondering how all this translates to real-world performance, we have more good news for iPhone 8 shoppers — and bad news for everyone else. To really put the A11 Bionic chip through its paces, we put the same 2-minute video, shot in 4K by a drone, on the iPhone 8, Galaxy Note 8 and Galaxy S8+, and then added the same transitions and effects before exporting and saving the video.

The iPhone 8 finished this strenuous task in just 42 seconds, while the Note 8 took more than 3 minutes. The Galaxy S8+ took more than 4 minutes.

yeah, wake up. Fanboyism/blind loyalty will get you nowhere.

Im sure the technologically clueless apple sheep will be along shortly to try to brainwash you but.....

A large number of android devices work absolutely perfectly and if you want second hand some good cheap solutions can be found. Ebay for example has Nvidia Shield or Nexus 7 2013 tablets very cheaply and although they're not made any more are excellent with the mavic and very cheap. Perfect for a dedicated unit at $~100 outlay.

If you want newer and more modern, i use a Mediapad M3 from Huawei which works perfectly (the lite and other ones also work well).

There really is no reason to spend a fortune on a pointless apple device, far cheaper new or second hand android devices will work perfectly. Just be a little wary of certain Samsung models due to how badly they alter the core OS. Some work, some aren't so good.

I do know of one person that upgraded from an ipad to an android tablet after seeing how much brighter the screen was in direct sunlight (although if you want totally dedicated and the best screen around then Crystal Sky is the costly but best way to go).

Last edited:
I'm an Android guy. No Apples allowed in my house. That being said I'm getting ready to purchase the new Mavic. What manufacture tablet is the best for this guy? The tablet I purchase will only be for this drone. Do you think I will be ok with Android still or should I bite the bullet and get an Apple? I'd like to stay with Android but I believe DJI gives priority to Apple products. Thanks a lot guys.

Dan

I'm with you.
I refuse to pay extra for nothing more than a name.
I use a Galaxy Tab A 8" with no probs whatsoever.

Dan
People complain about Android devices, but I think it is more due to multiple hardware vendors involved, DJI and "someone else for the display", if you must have Android and it is dedicated to the Mavic, get a DJI display, a CrystalSky, then there is "one throat to choke" if issues. That said I went with an iPad mini 4.

Hey Thanks for all the advice guys. I do have both. A LG tablet and a mini ipad. Just like the glitch free ipad. Not an Apple fan however. Thanks all.
Thank for quoting my valuable reply. Every time I see or post that face it makes me chuckle.

Have you ever heard “software”? Keep compaing specs is not todays world. Sounds like you are still stuck in 90’s pc master race.

iPhone 8 Is World's Fastest Phone (It's Not Even Close)

If you're wondering how all this translates to real-world performance, we have more good news for iPhone 8 shoppers — and bad news for everyone else. To really put the A11 Bionic chip through its paces, we put the same 2-minute video, shot in 4K by a drone, on the iPhone 8, Galaxy Note 8 and Galaxy S8+, and then added the same transitions and effects before exporting and saving the video.

The iPhone 8 finished this strenuous task in just 42 seconds, while the Note 8 took more than 3 minutes. The Galaxy S8+ took more than 4 minutes.

yeah, wake up. Fanboyism/blind loyalty will get you nowhere.
@gnirtS

Im sure the technologically clueless apple sheep will be along shortly to try to brainwash you but.....

A large number of android devices work absolutely perfectly and if you want second hand some good cheap solutions can be found. Ebay for example has Nvidia Shield or Nexus 7 2013 tablets very cheaply and although they're not made any more are excellent with the mavic and very cheap. Perfect for a dedicated unit at $~100 outlay.

If you want newer and more modern, i use a Mediapad M3 from Huawei which works perfectly (the lite and other ones also work well).

There really is no reason to spend a fortune on a pointless apple device, far cheaper new or second hand android devices will work perfectly. Just be a little wary of certain Samsung models due to how badly they alter the core OS. Some work, some aren't so good.

I do know of one person that upgraded from an ipad to an android tablet after seeing how much brighter the screen was in direct sunlight (although if you want totally dedicated and the best screen around then Crystal Sky is the costly but best way to go).

Actually M3 doesnt work perfectly, my M3 keeps connecting and disconnecting from the phone using whathever USB cable I could find...so no, Huaweii tablets are not a way to go...

I am running the 4.0 series software (4.0.3) I think on a Samsung Galaxy tab A - Which I bought specifically for this as it WAS on the approved list, however it is utter bollox!

I am also running the 4 series firmware and have no desire to upgrade, now then, the question is.. If I buy an iPad, am I going to have to run the latest DJIgo software and will I have to update my firmware? Or are the earlier versions of the DJI go software available for Ipad too?

I'm running earlier software on mini 4,no problems at all,you just have to test older versions to see what works for you.I had problems with 4.0.8,which a lot of people swear by,so I switched to 4.0.6 which works great for me

Here is the deal in my opinion. Apple is a fantastic software and hardware developer. Here it comes.

But!

Apple has a very closed environment. If you want to be able to do things outside of Apples pride? Sorry bub. You cant.

When it comes to tablets iPad are generally very good. Unless you want to do things. Transfer files from a network hard drive and convert them to FLAC?

I have been both an Android and iPhone user. I have purchased six iPads for me and my family over the last few years.

I would highly recommend buying a cheaper iPad for drone use based on my own personal experiences.

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPad-A...=UTF8&qid=1507579760&sr=8-3&keywords=ipad+air

Reactions: SkyNinja
Apple is fine if you can live inside the Apple bubble. I can't. Apple may be the superior product but I chose Android a long time ago and will not make the switch to an Apple life. That being said I'm ok with buying an I-whatever just to have the best for the Mavic. You never answered my question.

I’m not a fanboy but the only one living in a bubble just might be yourself [emoji848] The first commenter nailed it - if you don’t like certain aspects of iOS you can always jailbreak your device too although I don’t recommend it.

Reactions: adramelech52
I was an avid dell/pc/windows user for years, my first computer was a radio shack TRS80. Hated Apple, until I got my first iPod Touch. Then a MacMini, then an iPad 2, then a MacAir then an iPhone 6, then an iPad Mini4. I am 10 times more please with how the Apple hardware/software is so integrated with all of my devices and how stable it is then the PC devices. I regret not going over to the dark side sooner.

I'm running earlier software on mini 4,no problems at all,you just have to test older versions to see what works for you.I had problems with 4.0.8,which a lot of people swear by,so I switched to 4.0.6 which works great for me

Are the legacy DJI Go versions still available for the iPad?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart