DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles FINALLY HERE!!!!

Tempted, but sounds like they are out of stock already. Curious to hear how long it takes to get them because DJI has over promised and under delivered in the past. keep us posted goggle wearers.

Check the site every few hours, you might get lucky. Unfortunately, you are not only competing with Mavic users, but also with Inspire and Phantoms users.

Marsmallowheads

11301f629f9528ac871e06d695471ff2.jpg

I tried to order them at 4:00 CT time and they were already sold out. Hope they become available again soon.

Some thoughts about it:
1. It's bulky and thus it's quite the opposite to a super portable Mavic. Finally I can get myself one of these Phantom backpacks for the Goggles and my Mavic.

2. Cinematic shots are probably difficult because the goggles require the Mavic to operate in 1080p where we know the quality.

3. The price it not bad

4. I expect to see serious delivery numbers by August - like many other DJI products

Reactions: Robbyg
So what benefit is there with these goggles than what you can accomplish with Litchi and modifying the Samsung Gear VR to work without loading the Oculus service? After all, most people who had an s7, s7 edge, or now even the s8 series were given the goggles with the phone.

I personally just removed the usb connector on the Gear VR, put in my own to bypass the small board inside the goggles, and then connected the phone to them that way and ran Litchi. And Like any VR now a days, the resolution is just not there. Even the pixel density of the s7 edge, the image looks like lego blocks. Yes its cool either way, but not really worth spending 500 dollars when you can buy the gear VR and modify it and the gear VR is about 100 or so.

Reactions: ryo
But it Litchi has the same feature why by these instead of using an existing phone/headset combination?

Difficult to answer without getting some unbiased reviews. I use litchi and the way i fly i don't feel any issues regarding lag; isn't lag a problem for racing quads that Mavic isn't?
So it all comes down to image/display/ppi: i was thinking about a 4k display gor the dji goggles, but the are not. I use an iphone 6s and the quality of image is almost rubbish and often think to get a Samsung s8, waited for the dji goggles.......now this price in europe of 600$+the display that it's a big "?". So beside some headtracking can't see, actually, great value for the money for the dji goggles compared to a phone/headset combo.

Difficult to answer without getting some unbiased reviews. I use litchi and the way i fly i don't feel any issues regarding lag; isn't lag a problem for racing quads that Mavic isn't?
So it all comes down to image/display/ppi: i was thinking about a 4k display gor the dji goggles, but the are not. I use an iphone 6s and the quality of image is almost rubbish and often think to get a Samsung s8, waited for the dji goggles.......now this price in europe of 600$+the display that it's a big "?". So beside some headtracking can't see, actually, great value for the money for the dji goggles compared to a phone/headset combo.

When I use litchi in FPV mode (with my phone holder headset), I get weird gimbal behaviour when the Mavic is about 300 mtr away from me. Furthermore, the resolution is just too low to really enjoy FPV flying. I think these goggles have a great feature list; ordered immediately. This is why I've purchased the Mavic in the first place :)

Is the Mavic's gimbal ready for all that quick back and forth movement?
Controlled movement is nothing, stabilisation which it's there for in the first place is what requires most movement.

What do you think they mean by "[6] DJI Goggles can only play content downloaded from DJI drones."? You can watch content from an hdmi source but not from a micro sd (unless it is from DJI drones)?
Yep. You'll certainly be able to play other stuff even if if might require transcoding it into one of the formats that match the aircraft's first, but DJI don't want to deal with it so they just say you can't.

Beyond just the fun of FPV flying, what's the prospect of all of this for taking smoother footage? Seems like I have way more control over my head movement than over the tiny stick adjustments that make the footage often jerky.
Certainly. A camera op with a good quality joystick gimbal (as on an Inspire for example) will do a better job than head tracking, but HT will definitely be better than the wheel/yaw stick on the Mavic.
Back in the day of my customized Phantom 1 modified with a 3-axis gimbal I had fitted a 3-axis HT in order to coordinate the camera movements better (and mostly to correct the pesky roll drift of the early gimbal) and it worked a treat.

Some shots in this like the one starting at 1:19 or 5:52 would be real hard to do with the Mavic controller's tilt wheel, no issue with HT though.

Note this video was taken 4 years ago... it took a LOT of custom modding to be able to do this and more so in a relatively small package to do what the Mavic does better out of the box today.

2. Cinematic shots are probably difficult because the goggles require the Mavic to operate in 1080p where we know the quality.
I have not seen that mentioned as a requirement. For lowest latency you would want 1080 which is why it's what's advertised, but there's no reason it wouldn't work in the other modes.

So what benefit is there with these goggles than what you can accomplish with Litchi and modifying the Samsung Gear VR to work without loading the Oculus service
Most likely lag and image quality will be significantly better. Also, no wires, and just better integration with the system.

Last edited:
When I use litchi in FPV mode (with my phone holder headset), I get weird gimbal behaviour when the Mavic is about 300 mtr away from me. Furthermore, the resolution is just too low to really enjoy FPV flying. I think these goggles have a great feature list; ordered immediately. This is why I've purchased the Mavic in the first place :)

When i use litchi i have no problems with range or gimbal; that said, the resolution is very disappointing, but that's the phone, not the app itself. I wonder how would be the resolution with a samsung s8 compared with the dji goggle.
I think that i will be ordering the dji's soon or later, but considering the price here in europe i would like to see some reviews and be sure that they worth the money. ;)

When i use litchi i have no problems with range or gimbal; that said, the resolution is very disappointing, but that's the phone, not the app itself. I wonder how would be the resolution with a samsung s8 compared with the dji goggle.
I think that i will be ordering the dji's soon or later, but considering the price here in europe i would like to see some reviews and be sure that they worth the money. ;)

DJI Goggle, 1920x1080 x two screens.. S8+ 1440 x 2960... really its 2960 x 1440 in landscape mode. 1920 x 2 = 3840 and the 1080 will remain the same.

SO at the end, you get 3840 x 1080 = 4 147 200 Pixels with DJI and 2960 x 1440 with S8+ which is 4 262 400 pixels
And ALL within an inch of your eyes to make sense of it! :)

I had an s7 edge at 1440x2560 = 3 686 400 pixels. 576 000 less than the s8+ and I do not think that will be enough to make it have that WOW factor. So the lower resolution of the DJI goggles probably won't make me excited. Not at that price point. I'll plug in my wire. The delay is literally what you would of seen while using the app anyways, and there is less delay on wire than there is on wireless.

s8+ should be here this week so I can work out all the new issues that are bound to come up.

Last edited:
Reactions: MavicAyr and ryo
DJI Goggle, 1920x1080 x two screens.. S8+ 1440 x 2960... really its 2960 x 1440 in landscape mode. 1920 x 2 = 3840 and the 1080 will remain the same.

SO at the end, you get 3840 x 1080 = 4 147 200 Pixels with DJI and 2960 x 1440 with S8+ which is 4 262 400 pixels
And ALL within an inch of your eyes to make sense of it! :)

I had an s7 edge at 1440x2560 = 3 686 400 pixels. 576 000 less than the s8+ and I do not think that will be enough to make it have that WOW factor. So the lower resolution of the DJI goggles probably won't make me excited. Not at that price point. I'll plug in my wire. The delay is literally what you would of seen while using the app anyways, and there is less delay on wire than there is on wireless.

s8+ should be here this week so I can work out all the new issues that are bound to come up.

Thumbswayup
yes, on the paper the s8 should not be very different (maybe slightly better?) than the goggles. But what makes a huge difference is ppi, s8 has 570, would be interesting to know dji's goggles.....
Very curious to know how the samsung will perform, don't forget to update ;)

Think I'll wait for the next few generations until they the size has been reduced to something acceptable, maybe down to the size of the BT-300's.

I'm not saying anybody will look a complete dork wearing them but I'm really looking forward to the first video of somebody standing on their own wearing a massive box on their head doing the compass dance, is DJI doing this on purpose or for a bet :D

Reactions: Soundtekk
Absolutely, video goggle experiences are a thing that can't really be explained unfortunately. It's also very personal as to what aspect each person either likes or doesn't.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet