DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic gimbal issue; you all need to read!

After you fit the tabs in front of the gimbal above the little ledges, and hook the little thing behind the gimbal between the top of the gimbal and the camera, is it supposed to still jiggle about with every step?
Mine still jellos after that, gimbal recalbration and even factory resets.

DJI said to reset and calibrate using an iOS device instead of Android. Would that even make a difference? (There are no campatible iOS devices owned by anyone I know, is a problem, if so.)

Worse than jello, since I tried to fix my jello effect, gimbal vibration makes it look a little like the camera is seeing double even in photos, not just videos. The jello used to only happen when facing into the wind, but now it's happening any time, any where, as long as the Mavic is still for a moment or two.

Is there some workaround I've missed? Really not looking forward to having to RMA a drone I just got.

If you've done all the recals, and the gimbal looks to be seated properly, you probably have no option than to send it in. Just make sure when you do calibrate the imu, that you do the gimbal calibration immediately afterwards. Apparently that makes a difference, though not in my case.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

If you've done all the recals, and the gimbal looks to be seated properly, you probably have no option than to send it in. Just make sure when you do calibrate the imu, that you do the gimbal calibration immediately afterwards. Apparently that makes a difference, though not in my case.

Got pics of your gimbal?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Got pics of your gimbal?

Here's the gimbal pictures from immediately after the last time I flew it. As far as I am able to tell, things are correct, but I can't be completely sure since I haven't seen more than one decent close-up of what the gimbal is supposed to look like when everything is fine.

Attachments

• 20161122_161711.jpg
    20161122_161711.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 207
  • 20161122_161718.jpg
    20161122_161718.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 195
Would it have helped if you had the gimbal protector cover on Mavic fulltime while flying/landing?

It's probably not the best idea to fly with the gimbal cover (bubble) on as it actually blocks an air vent located behind the gimbal. It probably won't do much damage just done once or twice, or even short flights but restricting air flow like that could cause problems over time for sure.

I don't think it would help in this instance anyway since it's the force of the landing itself that seems to be the issue (correct me if I'm wrong)

Here's the gimbal pictures from immediately after the last time I flew it. As far as I am able to tell, things are correct, but I can't be completely sure since I haven't seen more than one decent close-up of what the gimbal is supposed to look like when everything is fine.

It looks completely fine to me. Everything is as it should be.

How bad is the JELLO? Just a little or a lot?

It's probably not the best idea to fly with the gimbal cover (bubble) on as it actually blocks an air vent located behind the gimbal. It probably won't do much damage just done once or twice, or even short flights but restricting air flow like that could cause problems over time for sure.

I don't think it would help in this instance anyway since it's the force of the landing itself that seems to be the issue (correct me if I'm wrong)

@DJ Kim; don't listen to anyone that tells you that you shouldn't fly with the bubble on. It's just nonsensical, unproven forum help.

DJI clearly says flying with it on is okay, and it doesn't have a vent hole in it to allow air inside. Does it get hot? Yes it does, but I don't see anyone taking the hood of their cars off either. It's basically the hood of your car... either way it shouldn't hurt the operation of the drone. In my and DJI's opinion.

It looks completely fine to me. Everything is as it should be.

How bad is the JELLO? Just a little or a lot?

DJI_0003.MOV

Drunkenly bad.
This was taken when it only jello-d while facing into the wind. It has gotten no better, and I now consider anything taken later than this video to be unwatchable, as it also constantly vibrates on top of the jello.

Beautiful quad. Motion sickness inducing videos.

DJI_0003.MOV

Drunkenly bad.
This was taken when it only jello-d while facing into the wind. It has gotten no better, and I now consider anything taken later than this video to be unwatchable, as it also constantly vibrates on top of the jello.

Beautiful quad. Motion sickness inducing videos.

Exact same issue. Sent mine in, nothing would shift it.

So, I got my Mavic weeks ago.... flew it with no issues... the other day landing on a pathway it slid to the left and clipped a curb... the Mavic dropped the last about 10" inches somewhat hard.

At first glance the prop didn't even have a scuff really, and it took right back off.

But immediately, I noticed Jello-ing in the video... BAD!

So I freaked and started an RMA.

Then my girlfriend and I were looking at it and realized the gimbal base had slid over the corner of the Mavic? I pushed a little and "pop" it popped right back into place! All good? Again, flew it and still the video is jello-ing?

No damage, zero, and I have this issue....

I even tried to change props... nada.

Then looking at it again with my GF, she points out that the gimbal is sitting against this metal tab... and the back of the gimbal is firmly against the Mavic and the front if springy.

So I pulled the base of the gimbal back out like I found it, and realized the gimbal was supposed to be on top of this limiting tab... slid it back on top of the tab, slid the corner of the gimbal back under and viola, it's perfect!

Lesson - the "auto landing" kind of sucks. A little wind and it can move. Be way clear of anything two feet around just in case.

Also, the gimbal is different... and can slide below the tab that is designed to limit this exact behavior.

I hope this helps someone else. I keep seeing all these "jello" complaints, and I'm 99% sure it's usually caused by the gimbal having direct contact with the bird, or a major vibration in the blades etc.

Thanks for the pictures.

I had error on screen shot and I did have a small fall with it last night and the black clip that the gimbal goes over in the back, the gimbal had went above that clip, once you slip it back in place, all works !! Also per the error on attachment, that can also be Cause my out of balance props or just high wind
864be7e3046c38a9e888e287256665fd.jpg

I had error on screen shot and I did have a small fall with it last night and the black clip that the gimbal goes over in the back, the gimbal had went above that clip, once you slip it back in place, all works !! Also per the error on attachment, that can also be Cause my out of balance props or just high wind
864be7e3046c38a9e888e287256665fd.jpg

Glad this post can help so many

@DJ Kim; don't listen to anyone that tells you that you shouldn't fly with the bubble on. It's just nonsensical, unproven forum help.

DJI clearly says flying with it on is okay, and it doesn't have a vent hole in it to allow air inside. Does it get hot? Yes it does, but I don't see anyone taking the hood of their cars off either. It's basically the hood of your car... either way it shouldn't hurt the operation of the drone. In my and DJI's opinion.

So you could run a test...
There is a better analogy than the hood. Your car has a grill with a fan behind it just like the Mavic. Cover the grill/your cars radiator and let us know how it goes.
It is a known fact that heat effects the failure rate of the electronics - MIL-HDBK-217 Reliability Prediction.
Luckily we are each free to do what we think best. I won't be covering the grill on my car or flying with my Mavic vent blocked.

Reactions: Sandovaal
So you could run a test...
There is a better analogy than the hood. Your car has a grill with a fan behind it just like the Mavic. Cover the grill/your cars radiator and let us know how it goes.
It is a known fact that heat effects the failure rate of the electronics - MIL-HDBK-217 Reliability Prediction.
Luckily we are each free to do what we think best. I won't be covering the grill on my car or flying with my Mavic vent blocked.

Yep you know better than the engineers and designers that created, developed and produced the Mavic.

A better analogy would be if your car came with a cover for your grill and showed you commercials of everyone driving around with the grill covered, and then said don't do what we shoes you to do on the commercial.

#notsmartanalogy

Reactions: grizzard
Try blocking the air supply to your i7-6700 cpu on your expensive motherboard. I want all the airflow I can get because this is an expensive toy (er... tool) . Can I block the airflow ... yes. Will I do it ... No.

Yep you know better than the engineers and designers that created, developed and produced the Mavic.

A better analogy would be if your car came with a cover for your grill and showed you commercials of everyone driving around with the grill covered, and then said don't do what we shoes you to do on the commercial.

#notsmartanalogy

You are really taking this personally... Your argument that those slits on the cover are for cooling is ridiculous. Why do you want to fly with the cover on anyway?

You are really taking this personally... Your argument that those slits on the cover are for cooling is ridiculous. Why do you want to fly with the cover on anyway?

DJI says it's to protect the gimbal and camera from collision, dust and water during transportation and in flight.

I dont understand why anyone would want to fly with the cover on. Its not photometric glass. Its plastic that can induce glares and image imperfections.

What other drones and pilots do you know of that happily fly with covers on? I dont see any of DJI's other products that utilize such a cover in flight. Also from the engineering aspect, if you were to do a flow test through the slit of the cover vs having the entire intake vent exposed without the cover on, do you really think that a slit 1/8 of the size of the intake vent would provide as much airflow than no cover at all?

Seriously, In my career field, you do not try to provide a 6" sanitary line to try and service a multiplex of 50,000sf buildings when a 20" line is necessary. Just because you can get away with the 6" line does not mean it will perform optimally at full load. Much like air, water does not flow through a 6" line @ 800gpm more efficiently than it does through a 20" line.

SURE you can fly with the cover on but to restrict that much airflow is a problem waiting to happen. I would like to see you block all of your air vents on your computer except for two then only allow a slit for the air intake and a full vent open for exhaust. Watch what happens. At the end of the day, its your money and your drone, whatever floats your boat.

Reactions: Sandovaal
You may find this video worthwhile.
It shows the difference in cooling (even after one minute of hovering) between having the cover on and off. Doesn't seem ridiculous to me.

I dont understand why anyone would want to fly with the cover on. Its not photometric glass. Its plastic that can induce glares and image imperfections.

What other drones and pilots do you know of that happily fly with covers on? I dont see any of DJI's other products that utilize such a cover in flight. Also from the engineering aspect, if you were to do a flow test through the slit of the cover vs having the entire intake vent exposed without the cover on, do you really think that a slit 1/8 of the size of the intake vent would provide as much airflow than no cover at all?

Seriously, In my career field, you do not try to provide a 6" sanitary line to try and service a multiplex of 50,000sf buildings when a 20" line is necessary. Just because you can get away with the 6" line does not mean it will perform optimally at full load. Much like air, water does not flow through a 6" line @ 800gpm more efficiently than it does through a 20" line.

SURE you can fly with the cover on but to restrict that much airflow is a problem waiting to happen. I would like to see you block all of your air vents on your computer except for two then only allow a slit for the air intake and a full vent open for exhaust. Watch what happens. At the end of the day, its your money and your drone, whatever floats your boat.

I would probably put it on if conditions were dusty or if there was a potential for rain or drizzle while flying. I would also probably put it on whilst flying through and around trees and other objects for fun. If I'm not actually recording images that I'm interested in keeping, which is the majority of the time I'm flying, I don't care if the cover is photometric glass. If I'm actually providing extra protection for the camera when I'm not trying to make keepable photos/videos, I'll operate under the assumption that the DJI engineers knew what they were doing when they designed the cover to be used in flight. If I don't feel like I need any added protection, I will assume they didn't know what they were doing and fly with it off. I don't think you can make broad assumptions about effectiveness of airflow with the cover on until you actually do thorough tests on it. There are too many factors that can effect the airflow and we really don't know the heat tolerance of the internals. I assume that DJI actually did those tests and found the cover to not cause sufficient heat increases that could cause damage.

Reactions: Wacker2611
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31