DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NanoSync Antenna for DJI Mavic Coming Soon

Jake helped install ours and we're excited to run some connection tests. We're not looking to go far out, mostly looking for a solid connection flying in highly congested areas.

Attachments

• drone.jpg
    drone.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 120
Reactions: Natedoggz
SOLO V.2 Long Range Kit 10.5dBi - FPVLR
This one i ordered, the antenna is an impressive 21cm wide, not very portable so have to tackle this issue if performance proves it will be a keeper.
@CyberNate his antenna is not on amazon anymore but a copy of the linked item.

Are these antennas tuned for 2.4ghz band? If not the standing wave ratio is going to be so high it will blow the final transitors of the transmitter in the RC. You have to make sure thing s like this are compatible or user tunable using an analyzer.

We may actually need these gadgets at some point when drone jammers start becoming more common. In fact, I wonder if there's a company that makes jammers AND boosters. That would be a place to buy stock in.

Are these antennas tuned for 2.4ghz band? If not the standing wave ratio is going to be so high it will blow the final transitors of the transmitter in the RC. You have to make sure thing s like this are compatible or user tunable using an analyzer.

The FPVLR CP antennae are tuned for 2.4Ghz. The 3DR solo transmitter is 2.4GHz just like the Mavic. I have the RexUAV ones, but those are currently not available. The FPVLR ones are the same (actually the original).

The FPVLR CP antennae are tuned for 2.4Ghz. The 3DR solo transmitter is 2.4GHz just like the Mavic. I have the RexUAV ones, but those are currently not available. The FPVLR ones are the same (actually the original).
Yep. Also the info i got.
For me, living in Europe shipping and taxes are a killer more than doubling the price for REXUAV.
That, combined with kickass CS from fpvlr =easy choice..

Still a work in process. I've tried a couple different ways:

View attachment 12152 View attachment 12153

Fortunately I have also a stock controller for those times when I want simplicity.

Ok, I think I have a setup that works for me, except I'll get a smaller battery pack soon to reduce weight. I found 2 sets of male rp-sma to male sma elbows and this is working well to make the setup more compact, putting amps in a vertical orientation. I can simply unscrew at the controller and leave the rest assembled.
IMG_20170507_120024.jpg IMG_20170507_120144.jpg

Ok, I think I have a setup that works for me, except I'll get a smaller battery pack soon to reduce weight. I found 2 sets of male rp-sma to male sma elbows and this is working well to make the setup more compact, putting amps in a vertical orientation. I can simply unscrew at the controller and leave the rest assembled.
View attachment 12390 View attachment 12391

What kind of range and signal improvement do you get from this setup?

What kind of range and signal improvement do you get from this setup?

Haven't reached the limit on range yet, as I'm limited by battery. I've flown out 34500ft (over 69,000ft round trip) and that's in a city environment. The signal is much stronger and consistent. Perhaps 70% improvement on range or more. I expect to hit over 40,000ft range once I get battery mod sorted out.

If any of you guys are curious as in what is inside the Nanosync antenna, well here you go. It is only a simple, off the shelf PCB patch. I really love the bracket design though. The white plastic patch in the photo was within 2dbm of the Nanosync and it is a six dollar antenna from Amazon.

I've done several controlled (as possible) tests and my home made biquads are best. They are not nearly as pretty, but they penetrate better than the four or five different antennas I have tested.

For what it's worth, the FCC controller has an output of about 45mw. (This on the left antenna of course) I did try a booster on the left antenna and it was putting out roughly 400mw after the booster. The booster proved to be too much for the downlink at 400mw as it started freezing as short as 1km. I still have more testing I want to do with the booster though. I may attenuate it more to about 100mw and see if I can establish an equalibrium between uplink and downlink.

Oh, and BTW, the rectangle black patch in the photo is crap. This is the patch they sell as a upgrade for the FRsky Taranis. I thought I may have had a bad one but, I tested four of them I have and they are all the same. I even opened them all up to make sure the solder joints were ok and to make sure the antenna was facing the correct way. The white 6dbi dipole tested better than the black patch.

Ken

View attachment 12098
If any of you guys are curious as in what is inside the Nanosync antenna, well here you go. It is only a simple, off the shelf PCB patch. I really love the bracket design though. The white plastic patch in the photo was within 2dbm of the Nanosync and it is a six dollar antenna from Amazon.

I've done several controlled (as possible) tests and my home made biquads are best. They are not nearly as pretty, but they penetrate better than the four or five different antennas I have tested.

For what it's worth, the FCC controller has an output of about 45mw. (This on the left antenna of course) I did try a booster on the left antenna and it was putting out roughly 400mw after the booster. The booster proved to be too much for the downlink at 400mw as it started freezing as short as 1km. I still have more testing I want to do with the booster though. I may attenuate it more to about 100mw and see if I can establish an equalibrium between uplink and downlink.

Oh, and BTW, the rectangle black patch in the photo is crap. This is the patch they sell as a upgrade for the FRsky Taranis. I thought I may have had a bad one but, I tested four of them I have and they are all the same. I even opened them all up to make sure the solder joints were ok and to make sure the antenna was facing the correct way. The white 6dbi dipole tested better than the black patch.

Ken

View attachment 12098
Hi Hyprmtr, I love biquad antennas, could you share the schematic to be able to make it? Thank you
sorry for my English

View attachment 12390 View attachment 12391
Love the way you tackled the boosters. Practical too, easy mounting.
Personally I do like cables, adds to the nerdiness a bit. I ordered some good quality cables and connectors.
It's a matter of taste off course but you could clean up quite a bit getting rid of that tunnel and tablet and mount...Im using the Moverio BT300 for a while now and absolutely do not see myself using a tablet or smartphone anymore, no way! I will get the DJI goggles in time to try it and use it for " passenger" .

Haven't reached the limit on range yet, as I'm limited by battery. I've flown out 34500ft (over 69,000ft round trip) and that's in a city environment. The signal is much stronger and consistent. Perhaps 70% improvement on range or more. I expect to hit over 40,000ft range once I get battery mod sorted out.

Could you provide some source links for the components you are using in you modded controller setup?

I assume the antenna is https://fpvlr.com/store/product/solo-v-2-long-range-kit-10-5dbi/

Amplifiers
rp-sma to sma elbows
Internal antenna cable from controller to amplifiers
Suggested battery to power amplifiers

Reactions: Mr Spock
Could you provide some source links for the components you are using in you modded controller setup?

I assume the antenna is https://fpvlr.com/store/product/solo-v-2-long-range-kit-10-5dbi/

Amplifiers
rp-sma to sma elbows
Internal antenna cable from controller to amplifiers
Suggested battery to power amplifiers

Antenna (the one you linked is also fine, same type):
Amazon.com: 2017 REXUAV - DJI, 3DR Solo 2.4GHz CP Long Range Antenna V4: Computers & Accessories

Male RP-SMA to male SMA (I just switched to these and still testing to verify if signal is as good as without the 90 degree bend):
Amazon.com: Areyourshop 1x Adapter RP-SMA Male Jack To SMA Male Plug 90¡ã Connector Right Angle Gold-Plat: Home Audio & Theater

Sunhams amplifiers, you can use 1 amp for TX only (left side) or 2 amps to also amplify the RX (right side):
Amazon.com: LEZHISNUG SUNHANS eSunRC 3000mW 2.4Ghz 35dBm WiFi Signal Booster: Computers & Accessories

Battery pack:
Any dual USB battery pack will work that delivers 2A for transmitter side (left side of controller). The receive side needs very little power and 1A should do. There is also the option of using a small 12V battery as another member is using. I haven't tried 12V to see if amps are more effective. The amps can take power input of 5V - 16V at 2A. They come with several connection cables for different connection options.

Edit:
Here's the 12V pack that was recommended by another forum member that connects to amps:
12V DUAL LEAD BATTERY 3000MAH WITH CHARGER FREE 2-3 DAY SHIPPING

Cheaper amp option with 4W:
Amazon.com: Wifi Signal Booster 2.4Ghz 4W 802.11 Signal Extender Wifi Repeater Broadband Amplifiers for Wireless Router, with 5dBi antenna: Computers & Accessories

Last edited:
hey guys, I just bought dbs nanosync, and planning to install it myself, any risk should I be worry about?

hey guys, I just bought dbs nanosync, and planning to install it myself, any risk should I be worry about?

Go slow! But no. Just take your time. I will tell you getting the front panel off takes brute force but the Mavic remote will take it. That was my hardest piece. I had to pry and pull it off.

Just be gentle, ribbon cables tear easy! Watch as many videos about opening the controller and your can.

the video jake put up shows a great step by step process. the right tools will make all the difference

Reactions: MacIak
Amazon.com: 2017 REXUAV - DJI, 3DR Solo 2.4GHz CP Long Range Antenna V4: Computers & Accessories

Male RP-SMA to male SMA (I just switched to these and still testing to verify if signal is as good as without the 90 degree bend):
Amazon.com: Areyourshop 1x Adapter RP-SMA Male Jack To SMA Male Plug 90¡ã Connector Right Angle Gold-Plat: Home Audio & Theater

Sunhams amplifiers, you can use 1 amp for TX only (left side) or 2 amps to also amplify the RX (right side):
Amazon.com: LEZHISNUG SUNHANS eSunRC 3000mW 2.4Ghz 35dBm WiFi Signal Booster: Computers & Accessories

Battery pack:
Any dual USB battery pack will work that delivers 2A for transmitter side (left side of controller). The receive side needs very little power and 1A should do. There is also the option of using a small 12V battery as another member is using. I haven't tried 12V to see if amps are more effective. The amps can take power input of 5V - 16V at 2A. They come with several connection cables for different connection options.

Edit:
Here's the 12V pack that was recommended by another forum member that connects to amps:

Amazon.com: Wifi Signal Booster 2.4Ghz 4W 802.11 Signal Extender Wifi Repeater Broadband Amplifiers for Wireless Router, with 5dBi antenna: Computers & Accessories

Ok, I had a long flight at 35,851ft out and around 72,000ft total today, but I wasn't happy with the signal. Those SMA connectors I put on yesterday are TERRIBLE. I had communication issues the entire flight. I flew this same direction last week for 34,500ft and had not a single disconnect at around 240ft altitude. The difference was that I didn't orient my amps in a vertical position with the 90 degree RPSMA to SMA. Instead I made the bends BEFORE the AMPs horizontal straight out to the antenna. Will have to go back to that, but I hate how far the antennae stick out in that configuration.

Reactions: Mr Spock

Battery pack:

Edit:

Thank you for the detailed info. Last question - what cables are you using from the controller board to the 90 degree connectors on top of the controller?

Thank you for the detailed info. Last question - what cables are you using from the controller board to the 90 degree connectors on top of the controller?

I used the cables from DroneNerds.com which are included with the FPVLR antenna kit. I have those Yagi antenna, but don't use them anymore. Maxxuav.com also has installation kits for their DBSMOD Nanosync antenna.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spshow