DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not a smooth video while turning.

Yes, recorded the settings. The one posted here was at the most often recommended settings as noted. All the settings I tried were the same, stuttering. Out in the field at greater distance same result, so being closer to objects did not make a difference. Even did same tests with my P3P with smooth results. And my iPad, and I-phone..even those were good for smoothness. As soon as my Mavic 2 arrived I tested (same temperature range of +6 +7 C) and settings (2nd clip). Did other settings also with consistent results. In fact, even factory default on Auto was same result. Have not tried with no filter yet...just too bright with our snow.
I also noticed, when comparing the two devices, that when the gimbal lock was in place there was a noticeable gap in the positioning (Mavic1) and wondered if it indicated some sort of alignment/position error? Will try to get pics up for that.
View attachment 6954 View attachment 6955
Johanna,
In the 1st picture the Gimbal Lock is not in place. The slider portion should be trapped by the Gimbal Backplate and the Gimbal rear housing. It's easy to do though. If it isn't trapped then it's in the wrong position.

IMG_20170224_17387.jpg IMG_20170224_17971.jpg

Reactions: chazzm
Johanna,
In the 1st picture the Gimbal Lock is not in place. The slider portion should be trapped by the Gimbal Backplate and the Gimbal rear housing. It's easy to do though. If it isn't trapped then it's in the wrong position.

View attachment 7096 View attachment 7097
I agree with your pics. That's what I was trying to say in my post. The gimbal lock WAS correctly placed, locked in, no wiggle, didn't move on shaking the bird...There was simply no way to move it further forward to have it line up correctly, no way to get it properly positioned. The second pic is from the new Mavic, which does line up correctly. I was questioning whether this could in any way be related to the gimbal/camera issue. I wonder if the camera/gimbal unit is not positioned or mounted correctly. With this gap, does that mean the camera is further forward? Does that cause some sort of imbalance which then creates vibration? I believe hammer737 stated his came properly positioned and I haven't heard from anyone else. I don't know, I just know that it was different and not technically correct, and that difference may extend to gimbal movement? I'm no design engineer for sure, so maybe it's nothing. On the other hand it was the only noticeable difference on what should be an identical unit, and it's a moving part. Sorry to be long winded, but I get a little OCD about needing to know WHY? and WHAT IF? :) :)

My Mavic did NOT exhibit any stuttering issues for the last week (only week of ownership). Got the vids to prove it. I thought I must be lucky. Yaw stutter was at an absolute minimum or just not really noticeable at all. Then I did the firmware update today to .400. Firmware update went well, pretty much by the book (i.e. no issues, just the stall at 83% or whatever) and I updated the controller and the mavic seperately, via USB cable, using DJI Assistant. Then, I went out today and spent 40 minutes in the air... Apart from the gimbal recalibrating in mid flight (freaked me out a little), I thought everything went well. I came back to review my footage this evening, (same PC, using VLC as always) and it's terrible. Yaw stutter is out of control. Like I actually have a problem now. Conditions were pretty much the same.

So, is it firmware related? Well, probably not, since many people have downgraded the firmware and still have the issue. I was on .300 until this morning. I'm curious though about what has gone wrong. I wonder if my Mavic overheated during the firmware update and a component has gone bad. My battery only went down from 100% to 80% during the firmware update. It really only took about 10 minutes. And I've had it sitting on the bench before for longer than that. I'm at a loss as to what has happened.

EDIT: Running through this firmware update again, after a downgrade. I noticed that when it does stall at 83%, the fan stops, and the Mavic gets *really* hot to the touch.

Last edited:
Reactions: hammer737
Thanks me too.

Did they give you any grief?

It was a somewhat painful experience with customer service. I had to escalate my issue to get a rude manager, (I wrote a separate discussion about my experience at length!) but I was finally able to get the Mavic replaced. They were initially wanting to use my refresh versus the warranty.

I agree with your pics. That's what I was trying to say in my post. The gimbal lock WAS correctly placed, locked in, no wiggle, didn't move on shaking the bird...There was simply no way to move it further forward to have it line up correctly, no way to get it properly positioned. The second pic is from the new Mavic, which does line up correctly. I was questioning whether this could in any way be related to the gimbal/camera issue. I wonder if the camera/gimbal unit is not positioned or mounted correctly. With this gap, does that mean the camera is further forward? Does that cause some sort of imbalance which then creates vibration? I believe hammer737 stated his came properly positioned and I haven't heard from anyone else. I don't know, I just know that it was different and not technically correct, and that difference may extend to gimbal movement? I'm no design engineer for sure, so maybe it's nothing. On the other hand it was the only noticeable difference on what should be an identical unit, and it's a moving part. Sorry to be long winded, but I get a little OCD about needing to know WHY? and WHAT IF? :) :)
Johanna,
In your first picture the Gimbal Lock is installed incorrectly. You can clearly see it in your pictures by focusing on the lock tabs that you can see through the plastic.. You can install it wrong and think that since there is "no wriggle room" is correctly installed ... it is not. If the Gimbal is not captured by the plastic lock but instead just "blocked" ...it is wrongly installed..... that's why I posted the pics. You have to slide the lock down carefully so the tabs slide in back of the housing and in front of the backplate. I know .... I have done it wrongly myself.

My Mavic did NOT exhibit any stuttering issues for the last week (only week of ownership). Got the vids to prove it. I thought I must be lucky. Yaw stutter was at an absolute minimum or just not really noticeable at all. Then I did the firmware update today to .400. Firmware update went well, pretty much by the book (i.e. no issues, just the stall at 83% or whatever) and I updated the controller and the mavic seperately, via USB cable, using DJI Assistant. Then, I went out today and spent 40 minutes in the air... Apart from the gimbal recalibrating in mid flight (freaked me out a little), I thought everything went well. I came back to review my footage this evening, (same PC, using VLC as always) and it's terrible. Yaw stutter is out of control. Like I actually have a problem now. Conditions were pretty much the same.

So, is it firmware related? Well, probably not, since many people have downgraded the firmware and still have the issue. I was on .300 until this morning. I'm curious though about what has gone wrong. I wonder if my Mavic overheated during the firmware update and a component has gone bad. My battery only went down from 100% to 80% during the firmware update. It really only took about 10 minutes. And I've had it sitting on the bench before for longer than that. I'm at a loss as to what has happened.

EDIT: Running through this firmware update again, after a downgrade. I noticed that when it does stall at 83%, the fan stops, and the Mavic gets *really* hot to the touch.
Johanna ..... try Windows 10 Video Player or Windows 10 Media Player instead of VLC. I have found that VLC has more stuttering/jerking/spastic motion than WMP.

Not good

I do not have refresh so it should be warranty

It was a somewhat painful experience with customer service. I had to escalate my issue to get a rude manager, (I wrote a separate discussion about my experience at length!) but I was finally able to get the Mavic replaced. They were initially wanting to use my refresh versus the warranty.

To be honest I thought they were going to make me use a refresh but I was very surprised to see that they covered it under warranty. I made it VERY clear in the paperwork that everything on this drone is 100% mint only problem is with the camera... Idk if that helped me keep the same drone or not just thinking out loud..

Sent from my XT1585 using MavicPilots mobile app

I wrote a letter describing how this is a warranty issue.

I doubt they will actually fix the units we sent back. Would be nice thought as mine was mint as well besides video issue.

I wonder if I should do the chat thing and ask how things are going .

Its been 4 days and no email about case being opened.

Would it be worth trying to chat online with them ?

To be honest I thought they were going to make me use a refresh but I was very surprised to see that they covered it under warranty. I made it VERY clear in the paperwork that everything on this drone is 100% mint only problem is with the camera... Idk if that helped me keep the same drone or not just thinking out loud..

I doubt they will actually fix the units we sent back. Would be nice thought as mine was mint as well besides video issue.

In my experience, definitely. They are a bit slow initially (I've had 2 in now for separate issues), but often need a bit of a kick up the arse to get things moving. I found that once I had a case number, the service was actually pretty good......And I got a good one in the end.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Wolf is right - I have this issue too, as do many others when yawing too quickly. (I really noticed it flying a Point of Interest around a large building) Evidently it has to do with the amount that is changing in each frame compared to the one before, and how that is processed. I assumed at first that the SD card didn't have a fast enough write speed and was dropping frames, however, my only solution thus far is to slow it down as Wolf stated above. I'm curious if the replacement unit fixes the issue Razors, as it was my assumption that the issue is firmware based / something they will hopefully correct at some point.
If your viewing computer is slow, you will get that effect also because it can't process the information from changing scenery fast enough from frame to frame.

Reactions: grizzard

Johanna, do you get the stuttering issue on your new Mavic 2 when using shutter settings on other then 2x framerate?
I'm still waiting for ND filters, and did my first Mavic filming on a bright day above snowy area without any filter on. Naturally, I had to use shutter speed at 1/1250 (sometimes 1/2000) while filming 2.7K 30fps to get video not over exposed. Result - terrible jerky video while panning, very upsetting. Hope ND filters fix the problem.

Johanna, do you get the stuttering issue on your new Mavic 2 when using shutter settings on other then 2x framerate?
I'm still waiting for ND filters, and did my first Mavic filming on a bright day above snowy area without any filter on. Naturally, I had to use shutter speed at 1/1250 (sometimes 1/2000) while filming 2.7K 30fps to get video not over exposed. Result - terrible jerky video while panning, very upsetting. Hope ND filters fix the problem.
Only did the one on Auto...2nd one in my post #189. Haven't had a chance to get out there, still dealing with cold temps here (-8C) this a.m. Still have lots of testing to do with this one, but have to be patient.

Here are a few vids where issue is evident

Mav Test2 - YouTube

Pat attention to staight edges like trees
Window frames
Buildings ect

I have a theory about the effect I'm seeing, especially the bad stuttering at some points. I'm getting the feeling that it's not a sensor problem but a gimbal problem. The gimbal is leading the Mavic during the yaw and constantly adjusting according to how much input you put on the stick. A silly analogy is like your eyeball looking to the side and then your head follows. Say you had too much to drink and you're following the officer's finger as he goes from side to side. Once you get to the sides your eyes will shake due to being drunk. Well, basically the same thing appears to be happening here, except for it's the gimbal rapidly changing from one increment of "lead" to another. Since the sensor is native 4K, there is no image stabilization that is applied so virtually ANY movement of the gimbal will be noticeable. At the end of the day the gimbal system is not fluid, it's a motor whose posistion sensor adjusts according to finite increments. That would explain why the issue is much less noticeable during forward shots, the gimbal is doing absolutely no work. I don't know, it's just a thought.

I've never attempted to set it but is there a setting that turns off gimbal lead? I'm wondering how attempting a slow pan with it turned off would look.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21