DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not a smooth video while turning.

Good theory.

There is a pan option in To app that allows movement of gimbal on yaw - can't remember what it's called but maybe someone could try with it off.

Worth a shot

I have a theory about the effect I'm seeing, especially the bad stuttering at some points. I'm getting the feeling that it's not a sensor problem but a gimbal problem. The gimbal is leading the Mavic during the yaw and constantly adjusting according to how much input you put on the stick. A silly analogy is like your eyeball looking to the side and then your head follows. Say you had too much to drink and you're following the officer's finger as he goes from side to side. Once you get to the sides your eyes will shake due to being drunk. Well, basically the same thing appears to be happening here, except for it's the gimbal rapidly changing from one increment of "lead" to another. Since the sensor is native 4K, there is no image stabilization that is applied so virtually ANY movement of the gimbal will be noticeable. At the end of the day the gimbal system is not fluid, it's a motor whose posistion sensor adjusts according to finite increments. That would explain why the issue is much less noticeable during forward shots, the gimbal is doing absolutely no work. I don't know, it's just a thought.

I've never attempted to set it but is there a setting that turns off gimbal lead? I'm wondering how attempting a slow pan with it turned off would look.

Reactions: grizzard
I did some testing last night and here are some observations:

1. The live feed to my iPad was smooth whilst panning, but the resulting video was not!
2. I was able to 'fix' the problem in Adobe Premiere by upscaling to 60fps

One question, does anyone have this problem on firmware .300? Because I don't think I did. And since it isn't publically available, I can't go back to it to compare!

I did some testing last night and here are some observations:

1. The live feed to my iPad was smooth whilst panning, but the resulting video was not!
2. I was able to 'fix' the problem in Adobe Premiere by upscaling to 60fps

One question, does anyone have this problem on firmware .300? Because I don't think I did. And since it isn't publically available, I can't go back to it to compare!
Not sure, but I thought you could downgrade with Assistant 2?

Firmware .300 is not publically available.... it doesn't show up in Assistant 2. Only .200 and .400 are there!
From what I have read, .30 never was an 'update', and some of the Mavs came with that already installed, so maybe that's why it is not listed.

I wrote a letter describing how this is a warranty issue.

I doubt they will actually fix the units we sent back. Would be nice thought as mine was mint as well besides video issue.

I wonder if I should do the chat thing and ask how things are going .

Its been 4 days and no email about case being opened.

Would it be worth trying to chat online with them ?

Squeaky wheel get the grease?

Reactions: razors
Bit strong, but you're entitled to your opinion. If you're not happy with it then you must send it in, and I wish you luck. But if you're looking for absolute perfection, you need to consider a P4P.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
I have to agree with that! As both my P4 and definitely my P4P don't show this type of problems, but after working with my settings on my Mavic Pro gimbal speeds and camera speed yaw settings etcetera my video's are much better but there's no comparison with the p4 and P4P! For quick get aways the Mavic Pro is great, but for quality the P4P is definitely the way to go!

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: RobP62
I have to agree with that! As both my P4 and definitely my P4P don't show this type of problems, but after working with my settings on my Mavic Pro gimbal speeds and camera speed yaw settings etcetera my video's are much better but there's no comparison with the p4 and P4P! For quick get aways the Mavic Pro is great, but for quality the P4P is definitely the way to go!

Just curious, can you share your settings?

Just curious, can you share your settings?
Sure, first thing in the morning I'll post them, only problem I can see is it's hard to shoot snow scene's without using filter's! The contrast in white shots like yours can be controlled better with them, and I'd suggest using clog for this kind of environment shot! Some will probably disagree but I've had better luck using that or art mode with an ND4 or ND16 filter, and lower settings!
Your suggestion re trying a different player was someone else's conversation. Guess you just hit wrong 'reply' button. :)

I have a theory about the effect I'm seeing, especially the bad stuttering at some points. I'm getting the feeling that it's not a sensor problem but a gimbal problem. The gimbal is leading the Mavic during the yaw and constantly adjusting according to how much input you put on the stick. A silly analogy is like your eyeball looking to the side and then your head follows. Say you had too much to drink and you're following the officer's finger as he goes from side to side. Once you get to the sides your eyes will shake due to being drunk. Well, basically the same thing appears to be happening here, except for it's the gimbal rapidly changing from one increment of "lead" to another. Since the sensor is native 4K, there is no image stabilization that is applied so virtually ANY movement of the gimbal will be noticeable. At the end of the day the gimbal system is not fluid, it's a motor whose posistion sensor adjusts according to finite increments. That would explain why the issue is much less noticeable during forward shots, the gimbal is doing absolutely no work. I don't know, it's just a thought.

I've never attempted to set it but is there a setting that turns off gimbal lead? I'm wondering how attempting a slow pan with it turned off would look.

Alright so I tested this yesterday, turned the gimbal "Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow" and I was still getting the stuttering. Only this time is the first time the green bar "ready to fly" at the top of the app turned yellow mid flight with a Gimbal Stabilization warning :eek:

Newbie here. I only get video stutter during actual filming and video playback from cache on my Nvidia but when played on my laptop via SD Card it's smooth as butter regardless whether I'm panning fast or not. Is this normal too? I'm confused.

Sent from my XT1585 using MavicPilots mobile app

Newbie here. I only get video stutter during actual filming and video playback from cache on my Nvidia but when played on my laptop via SD Card it's smooth as butter regardless whether I'm panning fast or not. Is this normal too? I'm confused.

Sent from my XT1585 using MavicPilots mobile app
Cached files are low res, so yes that's normal.

Can you please post some footage from your SD card on your Mavic doing a pan?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78