DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not a smooth video while turning.

The effect you are all talking about is called strobing or judder.
Here is an explanation from the Red Digital Cinema company.

Panning Best Practices

When the article mentions shutter angle, think shutter speed.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: hammer737
Can someone post an video with the obvious imperfections being discussed here vs how a video should look? I keep looking at these vimeo videos and with the exception of the swirly roof top I can't tell the difference. Maybe it's tired eyes or ****** monitor but could someone please provide drastic examples of each just so I know exactly what to look for?

Reactions: Wacker2611
Can someone post an video with the obvious imperfections being discussed here vs how a video should look? I keep looking at these vimeo videos and with the exception of the swirly roof top I can't tell the difference. Maybe it's tired eyes or ****** monitor but could someone please provide drastic examples of each just so I know exactly what to look for?

Watch the white window frames on the first house that appears on left part of screen....basically the straight edges..( much like the video razor linked)..the stuttering is noticeable in the thread starter vid (4K 30fps at 1/60th)
the 2nd vid is 2.7k 30fps 1/60th less noticeable
the 3rd vid is 2.7k 24fps 1/50th much worse.

2.7k at 30fps looks better from these examples

sorry..the moire on the roof shows up worse after exporting from FCP

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Regarding moiree, I made a post about how to remove it (for broadcast use):

How to remove moiree from DJI cameras for broadcast use.

Hi all. I am a professional video editor for TV 2 in Norway.
My biggest issue with footage from a lot of DJI cameras is moiree. This includes Phantom (all models, not tested P4P) and Osmo.
Professional tv cameras have a low pass filter installed behind the lens and in front of the sensor that eliminates moiree, but most combined stills and video cameras can't have that because that would be useless for the high resolution stills camera part.
Even if the moiree is not always very visible on a computer screen, it might be very visible and annoying when seen on a television screen. I have even seen expensive Hollywood aerials with the dreaded moiree!

The trick to eliminate/reduce moiree can be to lower sharpness in the recording settings in the camera, but it will not always help.
The solution is to make a small blur between the TV lines (vertically).
First I tried using a blur effect built in to the editing programme and make a small vertical blur. This helped, but as I applied more vertical blur, before all the moiree was gone the picture had become too softened.
By coincidence I tried a Boris Continuum effect called Lens Blur, and that seemed too do the trick! This is a third party plugin available for most editing programmes.

I have tried this in Avid Media Composer, Final Cut Pro X, and Quantel and the result were perfect!

The Lens Blur effect is available in Boris Continuum Complete package, or just the Blur and sharpening category if you don't have the whole package.

Here is what you have to do:

This is tested with a 25 frame rate. I guess 24/30 will do good also, but higher frame rates did not give the desired result. I read somewhere this is due to a limitation in the Phantom cameras ability to process the higher rates.)

For Avid Media Composer:
Project setting must be set to 24/25/30P frame rate (according to your footage) while the effect is rendered. When the effect is rendered the project can be switched back to 1080i50 or equivalent.

Apply the Lens Blur effect from Boris Continuum.

Set the following parameters:
Iris: 1,0
Scale X: 10
Scale Y: 50 (this value can be set higher or lower if needed)
Render.

Done! Moiree is gone.

-------

Final Cut Pro X / Quantel:

Do the same as described above for Media Composer, except the Project can be kept in Interlaced mode if that's your original project setting...

I have not tested this for Premiere Pro, so if someone has the possibility to do so, please report back.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...hare_fid=1514257&share_type=t&share_pid=51229

Last edited:
Regarding moiree, I made a post about how to remove it (for broadcast use):

How to remove moiree from DJI cameras for broadcast use.

Hi all. I am a professional video editor for TV 2 in Norway.
My biggest issue with footage from a lot of DJI cameras is moiree. This includes Phantom (all models, not tested P4P) and Osmo.
Professional tv cameras have a low pass filter installed behind the lens and in front of the sensor that eliminates moiree, but most combined stills and video cameras can't have that because that would be useless for the high resolution stills camera part.
Even if the moiree is not always very visible on a computer screen, it might be very visible and annoying when seen on a television screen. I have even seen expensive Hollywood aerials with the dreaded moiree!

The trick to eliminate/reduce moiree can be to lower sharpness in the recording settings in the camera, but it will not always help.
The solution is to make a small blur between the TV lines (vertically).
First I tried using a blur effect built in to the editing programme and make a small vertical blur. This helped, but as I applied more vertical blur, before all the moiree was gone the picture had become too softened.
By coincidence I tried a Boris Continuum effect called Lens Blur, and that seemed too do the trick! This is a third party plugin available for most editing programmes.

I have tried this in Avid Media Composer, Final Cut Pro X, and Quantel and the result were perfect!

The Lens Blur effect is available in Boris Continuum Complete package, or just the Blur and sharpening category if you don't have the whole package.

Here is what you have to do:

This is tested with a 25 frame rate. I guess 24/30 will do good also, but higher frame rates did not give the desired result. I read somewhere this is due to a limitation in the Phantom cameras ability to process the higher rates.)

For Avid Media Composer:
Project setting must be set to 24/25/30 frame rate (according to your footage) while the effect is rendered. When the effect is rendered the project can be switched back to 1080i50 or equivalent.

Apply the Lens Blur effect from Boris Continuum.

Set the following parameters:
Iris: 1,0
Scale X: 10
Scale Y: 50 (this value can be set higher or lower if needed)
Render.

Done! Moiree is gone.

-------

Final Cut Pro X / Quantel:

Do the same as described above for Media Composer, except the Project can be kept in Interlaced mode if that's your original project setting...

I have not tested this for Premiere Pro, so if someone has the possibility to do so, please report back.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...hare_fid=1514257&share_type=t&share_pid=51229

Thanks for the great info toegema!

Reactions: toegema
Off course the moiree issue and stuttering due to horisontal movement with low frame rates are two different things, but you already knew that. [emoji2][emoji106]

Reactions: Brice LeCarre
Watch the white window frames on the first house that appears on left part of screen....basically the straight edges..( much like the video razor linked)..the stuttering is noticeable in the thread starter vid (4K 30fps at 1/60th)
the 2nd vid is 2.7k 30fps 1/60th less noticeable
the 3rd vid is 2.7k 24fps 1/50th much worse.

2.7k at 30fps looks better from these examples

sorry..the moire on the roof shows up worse after exporting from FCP

So if I stare at the areas I circled I only noticed a slight blue when moving right to left and back left to right, or am I looking at the wrong thing

mavicwindowframes.jpg

So if I stare at the areas I circled I only noticed a slight blue when moving right to left and back left to right, or am I looking at the wrong thing

View attachment 6825

thank you for the feedback Chopsticks!..I'm not to worried about any color issues..it was all stock color settings for these vids...it's the juddering of the window frames as the pan goes to the left and back to the right (basically the static straight edges of objects)...not smooth at all in the (1)4k 30 fps and (3)2.7k 24fps vid compared to the (2)2.7k 30fps

What optical zoom? Mavic's have a fixed len and digital zoom.

Oops ... I meant digital zoom. I would guess that the processor on the Mavic would be under more processing load while recording video that requires the raw image to be scaled down to a lower resolution in real time for storage on the SD. If so, then it seems that reducing the size of the raw image using digital zoom might reduce processing load. I hope to test it with full digital zoom (2x?) at 1080P with various frame rates. It would be cool if that made it possible to get decent 1080P at 60 FPS.

yes the stuttering /shutter is more noticeable on the 2.7k 24fps and 4k 30fps. is 2.7k 30fps more of the right spot you or others seem to use / see better results while using appropriate micro sd card?

you haven't received a replacement mavic yet though correct?

No replacement yet no

thank you for the feedback Chopsticks!..I'm not to worried about any color issues..it was all stock color settings for these vids...it's the juddering of the window frames as the pan goes to the left and back to the right (basically the static straight edges of objects)...not smooth at all in the (1)4k 30 fps and (3)2.7k 24fps vid compared to the (2)2.7k 30fps

Ugh meant "Blur" instead of blue. can you show an example of a perfect or at least what you want it to do / how it's supposed to look like video?

No replacement yet no

well keep us posted of your results when it comes in and you have a chance to test it out please.

I did the same 2.7k 30fps and 4K 30fps with appropriate mechanical shutter speeds and nd8 today with p4p with the sandisk extreme plus sd card....Nothing like this issue showed up. not surprising.

I will do same with the mavic with that sandisk card and see what happens.

Reactions: razors
Ugh meant "Blur" instead of blue. can you show an example of a perfect or at least what you want it to do / how it's supposed to look like video?

no worries.....but when I get a chance I will upload the same vid using the p4p I did today...I know not same machine etc etc...I dont think or expect the mavic will be as good as the p4p on its best day, but you'll see the difference regardless. maybe another poster will have a link to an appropriate video.

not fair to compare but this is the same ground track but with p4p

shot C4K manual settings, 60FPS ,1/120th shutter speed , f/4 compared to (f/2.2 mavic), ND8, stock settings
but will play at 1080p but can select 4K
(just an example of a better results ...(i know comparing apples to oranges)

Last edited:

not fair to compare but this is the same ground track but with p4p

shot C4K manual settings, 60FPS ,1/120th shutter speed , f/4 compared to (f/2.2 mavic), ND8, stock settings
but will play at 1080p
(just an example of a better results ...(i know comparing apples to oranges)

Thanks for the swift upload, but wouldn't it be a better comparison to record it in the same FPS 24/30 as the Mavic? Seems like the higher FPS would be crisper and less blur no? I know you mentioned the jittering but after looking at the first mavic video it was also extremely bright. Any way to do the test simultaneously or at least one right after the other to control the variables as much as possible?

I do see the difference from the p4p and the first mavic video, it looks a lot crisper but so many conditions have changed between the two other than just the drone if that makes sense

Reactions: hammer737
Thanks for the swift upload, but wouldn't it be a better comparison to record it in the same FPS 24/30 as the Mavic? Seems like the higher FPS would be crisper and less blur no? I know you mentioned the jittering but after looking at the first mavic video it was also extremely bright. Any way to do the test simultaneously or at least one right after the other to control the variables as much as possible?

I do see the difference from the p4p and the first mavic video, it looks a lot crisper but so many conditions have changed between the two other than just the drone if that makes sense

for sure I hear ya Chopsticks!...i did do the same track at 2.7k 30fps (unable 24fps due to time and other test stuff with mavic) with the p4p...have yet to send it through FCP to get it on here...the vid above was already in YouTube so I thought I'd put it up to view that's all.

the p4p at 2.7k 30fps is better than the same mavic one though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman