DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Сan i bring my drone to vietnam?

alfenix

Reactions
Hello everyone I’m new here. We are with my family from Ukraine due the war living in Thailand Koh Phangan ( the top place there)
Very soon we are planning move to Vietnam Da Nong.
I heard that drones are prohibited in Vietnam. Customs can take it etc.
I have Dji mini3 pro
So is it possible or not?

Attachments

• 7D6F8A03-7534-4BA1-BF13-23697130BFF9.jpeg
    7D6F8A03-7534-4BA1-BF13-23697130BFF9.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2580.jpeg
    IMG_2580.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 8
Reactions: Cafguy
Drone use is allowed in Vietnam,- BUT- There are several drone laws that need to be followed when flying in the country. Operators must ensure that they follow the next drone laws when flying in Vietnam, You must first apply for and receive a permit for each flight to operate a drone in Vietnam.
BUT: and get this: If you bring your own drone into the country: You need authorization from the Ministry of Defense, and although you can fill out the form yourself (it's in Vietnamese), it can take up to 3 weeks to be approved. This process will cost you: between $ 350 and $ 700, depending on who is doing your permit. As of -Oct 3, 2023

Oh And Welcome from Bakersfield!

Last edited:
Reactions: alfenix
Drone use is allowed in Vietnam,- BUT there are several drone laws that need to be followed when flying in the country. Operators must ensure that they follow the next drone laws when flying in Vietnam, You must first apply for and receive a permit for each flight to operate a drone in Vietnam.
BUT: and get this: If you bring your own drone into the country: You need authorization from the Ministry of Defense, and although you can fill out the form yourself (it's in Vietnamese), it can take up to 3 weeks to be approved. This process will cost you: between $ 350 and $ 700, depending on who is doing your permit. As of -Oct 3, 2023

Oh And Welcome from Bakersfield!
But that sounds crazy I bought drone for 700$ and must pay 700 $ more for shot 2-3 videos near beaches

Reactions: Cafguy
But that sounds crazy I bought drone for 700$ and must pay 700 $ more for shot 2-3 videos near beaches
What can I say- Welcome to Vietnam, I guess.
Almost worth just buying it there--However they probably charge a 1000 dollar export fee for Drones.

If it's their law it's not crazy, if you don't want to pay the import duty don't take a drone with you, simple as that.

Take your drone to Vietnam. The Vietnamese say "flycam." Despite the laws on paper, Vietnam is perhaps the most drone-friendly country I regularly travel to. I've never filled out a drone-related document in Vietnam.

Starting in 2014, I've always had a drone with me when I traveled, starting with my Phantom 2 Vision+. I've visited Vietnam once or twice per year, often with multiple entries at Saigon or Hanoi.

Back around 2015, there was talk about the customs confiscating drones at Danang. I've never flown internationally into Danang but have brought drones with me numerous times on domestic flights there.

From 2017 up until the pandemic in 2020, I lived in Vietnam about 6 months out of every year. Prior to that, I'd travel there at least once per year, often more.

Places I've flown: Hanoi, Saigon, Halong Bay, Dien Bien Phu, Khe Sanh, Ninh Binh, Buon Ma Thuot, Dalat, Danang, Hoi An, Vung Tau, Phu Quoc, Can Tho, Hue, Ban Gioc, and more I've probably forgotten.

My next trip to VN is in 2 weeks. I wouldn't think about going without a flycam.

dji_fly_20221004_184146_46_1664923870502_photo_optimized.jpegB6BBA868-4FFB-491D-99C1-35D81887FD9B_1_105_c.jpeg

Take your drone to Vietnam. The Vietnamese say "flycam." Despite the laws on paper, Vietnam is perhaps the most drone-friendly country I regularly travel to. I've never filled out a drone-related document in Vietnam.

Starting in 2014, I've always had a drone with me when I traveled, starting with my Phantom 2 Vision+. I've visited Vietnam once or twice per year, often with multiple entries at Saigon or Hanoi.

Back around 2015, there was talk about the customs confiscating drones at Danang. I've never flown internationally into Danang but have brought drones with me numerous times on domestic flights there.

From 2017 up until the pandemic in 2020, I lived in Vietnam about 6 months out of every year. Prior to that, I'd travel there at least once per year, often more.

Places I've flown: Hanoi, Saigon, Halong Bay, Dien Bien Phu, Khe Sanh, Ninh Binh, Buon Ma Thuot, Dalat, Danang, Hoi An, Vung Tau, Phu Quoc, Can Tho, Hue, Ban Gioc, and more I've probably forgotten.

My next trip to VN is in 2 weeks. I wouldn't think about going without a flycam.

View attachment 170563View attachment 170564
How was your last trip? Any problem bringing your drone?

I arrived at SGN (Ho Chi Minh City) 12 December and cleared customs with no issues. My bag was x-rayed.

No issues departing 24 December, either.

I've been bringing a drone into Vietnam several times a year for the past decade. I've never had an issue entering the country with a drone. Back in the DJI Phantom 1 and 2 days, drones were much more conspicuous and uncommon. Today the customs guys don't even blink. Vietnam is the most drone-friendly country I know.

I just added Mui Ne to the places I've flown.

Attachments

• DJI_0025.JPG
    DJI_0025.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 9
Reactions: GalandCross
I arrived at SGN (Ho Chi Minh City) 12 December and cleared customs with no issues. My bag was x-rayed.

I've been bringing a drone into Vietnam several times a year for the past decade. I've never had an issue entering the country with a drone. Back in the DJI Phantom 1 and 2 days, drones were much more conspicuous and uncommon. Today the customs guys don't even blink. Vietnam is the most drone-friendly country I know.

Thank you so much. This is very useful.

Lovely picture btw.

Best wishes!

Reactions: Clipper707
It's their country. They make the rules. By the way, don't throw your chewing gum on the sidewalk in Singapore.
It's sometimes difficult to bring gifts to Asia from America, because so much of what we have is made in China, or other Asian countries and seems less special.

In 2014, I flew Singapore Airlines from the US to Burma, with a 1-day layover in Singapore, my first time there. I was pulled aside at Changi Airport customs and sternly reprimanded by the agent, "You signed a document saying you weren't carrying chewing tobacco products. Please open this bag."

It must have been in the fine print of the customs card, but I didn't remember signing anything about chewing tobacco, nor was I carrying any. His demeanor instantly became friendly and apologetic when he saw the stack round tins of Tabasco spicy chocolate I was carrying.

1704852174635.png

• Haha
Reactions: Xi Zhou

View attachment 170563View attachment 170564
Hi bro I and my family are living in Da nang like 1 month already, we can fly together if come here

Hi bro I and my family are living in Da nang like 1 month already, we can fly together if come here
Thanks! I was just there in May. I'll message you next time I'm going there.

Morning all just thought I'd chime here and tell my experience re entering Vietnam at Cam Rahn earlier this month, my back pack was xrayed on leaving the airport and I was taken aside by a customs agent. They went through my bag and pulled everything out and then opened up my Mini 3 Pro case which he then said Drones not allowed in Vietnam and asked me to go to a back room. He then took me into another room and showed me a cupboard full of confiscated drones. I started to worry then and he says he going to take my drone which I argued it's under 250gms and I wasn't going to let him take it. He then started going through my passport and then saw my visa and then said "you are married to a Vietnamese lady" which I said yes. He then backed down and said he would let me keep my drone.
I thought originally he just wanted my drone and was going to ask for coffee money for me to get it back but after doing some research I have now realized he was correct and could have taken my drone.
I have bringing a drone here for past 5 years and never had an issue so must have just ran into a customs agent doing his job.
Food for thought.

Morning all just thought I'd chime here and tell my experience re entering Vietnam at Cam Rahn earlier this month, my back pack was xrayed on leaving the airport and I was taken aside by a customs agent. They went through my bag and pulled everything out and then opened up my Mini 3 Pro case which he then said Drones not allowed in Vietnam and asked me to go to a back room. He then took me into another room and showed me a cupboard full of confiscated drones. I started to worry then and he says he going to take my drone which I argued it's under 250gms and I wasn't going to let him take it. He then started going through my passport and then saw my visa and then said "you are married to a Vietnamese lady" which I said yes. He then backed down and said he would let me keep my drone.
I thought originally he just wanted my drone and was going to ask for coffee money for me to get it back but after doing some research I have now realized he was correct and could have taken my drone.
I have bringing a drone here for past 5 years and never had an issue so must have just ran into a customs agent doing his job.
Food for thought.
Thanks for sharing your experience. How did you come to enter via Cam Ranh?

In 10 years, I've never had problems entering Vietnam with a flycam but that may be because my entries are always via Hanoi or Saigon. Perhaps the volume of people entering and luggage to x-ray makes the difference.

Thanks for sharing your experience. How did you come to enter via Cam Ranh?

In 10 years, I've never had problems entering Vietnam with a flycam but that may be because my entries are always via Hanoi or Saigon. Perhaps the volume of people entering and luggage to x-ray makes the difference.
Morning thanks for your thoughts, I flew out of Cam Rahn and flew back in 2 weeks later and like you usually enter via HCMC or Hanoi and never had an issue. I even flew out and in of Cam Rahn back in July last year and again no issues. It would be a big help if there was a clear government regulation that a foreigner can access to see the regulation in writing.
Have a good day.

Hi Clipper707, very helpful information there. I see you've used a drone in Laos, did you have any problem taking it in or operating it there?

Hi Clipper707, very helpful information there. I see you've used a drone in Laos, did you have any problem taking it in or operating it there?

I flew my Phantom 2 Vision Plus in Vientiane 2014 and Luang Prabang 2015. I had no major problems taking the drone into the country but one minor problem on the airplane flight itself.

In the pre-Mavic days, my drone backpack was quite large and though it would fit in the overhead compartments of a 737 or A320, most of the flights I took were smaller turboprop ATR-72s. The backpack just barely fit under the seat and definitely not in the overhead. An older French lady in the seat next to me wasn't happy about that.

In Vientiane I flew over the night market and the Mekong River. I rented a motorbike and flew at Buddha Park as well. No issues in Vientiane.

I had one major problem flying at a temple in Luang Prabang. My friend Sisouk was the CEO of Lao Treasure Group, which owned a bunch of hotels in LP and an elephant camp just outside. I created commercial drone videos for two of his hotels and the elephant camp, back in the days when aerial videos were still pretty new.

He drove me to a temple called Wat Phon Phao and asked the two tourism police stationed there if we could take some drone photos/videos. They weren't sure what he was talking about, so we actually showed them the drone. They said yes and I launched and flew. After I landed, they police came back to us and said we were to follow them back into to town to the local office of Ministry of Tourism. Turns out they didn't know what they had given us permission to do.

Drones were still very new back then and I think they just wanted to cover their butts. The Tourism Police treated us well. A cute, tiny, policewoman served us hot tea. I don't speak Lao so didn't understand any of the conversation between Sisouk and the chief, but in the end we were there about 45 minutes and had to leave the Phantom with them.

Once we were back in Sisouk's truck, he told me not to worry and called the Lieutenant Governor of LP. When he hung up, he told me we'd have the Phantom back in two hours along with a document giving me permission to fly anywhere I wanted within Luang Prabang for the rest of my three day stay. It pays to have a friend who manages eight hotels in the city and a direct line to the governor. Once I got the drone back and the blanket permit, my Phantom was all over that city like gap-year backpacker.

This was back in 2015. I haven't been back since, so please consider the staleness of this information.

The Mavics and Minis are much less conspicuous than the Phantoms. If I was going back to Laos today, I wouldn't hesitate.

i was in vietnam in may 23 i took my drone in via hanoi no problem, drone and batteries in explosian proof bag in carry on,ive heard that danang airport can be a problem if your flying internationally people had there drones confiscated but returned when leavig country,i actually left my batteries in my checked luggage when flying from danang and i was called into baggage xray where i had to take them out,they were really good just put the batteries in my carry on and there was no problems

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_