DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

1049 meters distance for mini 2 and signal breaks up

How close to walls are you with your remote?
im atleast 10 feet on my patio deck however this is a large house 100 yards straight behind me that might hinder vlos but then 1049 meters i got from a upstairs window

im atleast 10 feet on my patio deck however this is a large house 100 yards straight behind me that might hinder vlos but then 1049 meters i got from a upstairs window
There is another thread here discussing Mini 2 range and there is a video of a range test in a European city. That would be using CE unless modded and the range is phenomenal. This is similar to what I would expect you would be able to achieve.

I wouldn’t expect a house 100yds away to significantly impact your range once you aren’t flying very low.

Maybe you just got a dud drone ??

There is another thread here discussing Mini 2 range and there is a video of a range test in a European city. That would be using CE unless modded and the range is phenomenal. This is similar to what I would expect you would be able to achieve.

I wouldn’t expect a house 100yds away to significantly impact your range once you aren’t flying very low.

Maybe you just got a dud drone ??
well one more try in the country when this wind here dies down ,will post the out come actually have a very large lake that is frozen everyone is ice fishing on ,can see 20 miles that should tell the tale

I tested my mini 2 today in open countryside, launching from the top of a large hill (CE model in UK).
After approx 1000m it starts to lose connection, with the video breakng up. I'm also a bit disappointed with the overall range.
Interestingly, when reviewing the flight in the fly app, it shows that the connection was fine throughout. Odd.

That’s very strange, even for CE mode. I’m getting almost as much as that (about 700m actually) in a pretty heavy interference area. With the FCC mod enabled, it’s reaching 2km in the same high interference spot

well one more try in the country when this wind here dies down ,will post the out come actually have a very large lake that is frozen everyone is ice fishing on ,can see 20 miles that should tell the tale

Do you have it set on dual band frequency and auto channel?

That’s very strange, even for CE mode. I’m getting almost as much as that (about 700m actually) in a pretty heavy interference area. With the FCC mod enabled, it’s reaching 2km in the same high interference spot
very disappointing and discouraging for me :(

very disappointing and discouraging for me :(
My Mini 2 (CE version) can easily reach 4km one way in a wifi heavy, built up urban environment. Even still got great signal at that distance and only turn around due to battery. I think you got a dud drone.

Any power lines between your controller and the drone on that flight?

I would recommend trying the range in an entirely different location. I wouldn't make a judgment about the drone being a dud based on one single flight. It is much more likely an issue with your set up, the location you flew or the conditions. Deciding the drone is faulty would be the conclusion you reach by eliminating every other possibility.

Try it in a different place first. That is what I would recommend. Then perhaps try it with a phone instead of the tablet as the controller. How modern is your tablet. I ran into problems with an old phone because it couldn't process and cache data fast enough. I would use something no more than 2 years old - and the higher the performance the better.

Reactions: waffles985

I would recommend trying the range in an entirely different location. I wouldn't make a judgment about the drone being a dud based on one single flight. It is much more likely an issue with your set up, the location you flew or the conditions. Deciding the drone is faulty would be the conclusion you reach by eliminating every other possibility.

Try it in a different place first. That is what I would recommend. Then perhaps try it with a phone instead of the tablet as the controller. How modern is your tablet. I ran into problems with an old phone because it couldn't process and cache data fast enough. I would use something no more than 2 years old - and the higher the performance the better.
im going to a nearby large frozen lake next nice day can see 10 miles easily that should tell me everything

tab A 8 (2019) got it same time as the drone runs the app flawless 128 gb cards in both

Well this is a clear line of sight for as far as i can see how do the numbers compare with everyone else ??

p.s this is with new aircraft firmware update

Attachments

• IMG_0616.JPG
    IMG_0616.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 32
Try going to fly away from homes and the load of wireless networks that come with them.

You do know that in Canada, as in the USA, VLOS must be unaided. Correct?
Same here in the UK. - NO visual aids allowed. You are allowed a spotter, but they must stand beside you and also must not use any visual aid.

To be honest the range of the Mini 2 is pointless as I doubt many would be able to spot it in the sky much over 500mts.

• Haha
Reactions: gb160
Same here in the UK. - NO visual aids allowed. You are allowed a spotter, but they must stand beside you and also must not use any visual aid.

To be honest the range of the Mini 2 is pointless as I doubt many would be able to spot it in the sky much over 500mts.
i guess that make the u.s military uav's , Reaper's and global hawk's and a ton of others useless then lmao

Well this is a clear line of sight for as far as i can see how do the numbers compare with everyone else ??

p.s this is with new aircraft firmware update
That screen shot shows the drone over 3000M away and still having full signal strength. I think that is great but I'm new to drones too and just recently got the Mini 2. I can't offer any comparison for that kind of distance though, as I have never flown any where near that far.

Do you have a need or desire to fly further or are you just testing the drone to see if it meets specs?

For those of you giving the OP some heat about the distance and lack of VLOS, I offer the following;
In Canada the requirements for operating a sub 250g drone are ambiguous and kind of stupid. Here is a link to the Transport Canada regulations.

Find your category of drone operation

You can see that the Sub 250g drone requirements have 2 sections that are labelled as follows; 1) what you "MUST DO" and 2) what you "SHOULD DO". The VLOS requirement is under the SHOULD DO section and therefore would appear to be a guideline, rather than a legal requirement. Then at the bottom of the handout there is a line that states "IF YOU BREAK THE RULES .......". you could be fined.

This open to interpretation because of the ambiguity. The MUST do section essentially suggests that you must use common sense (which isn't all that common these days) and who interprets what that means. The SHOULD do section lists all the safety issues, like max height, VLOS , avoiding airports, etc. However given that these are under the SHOULD do section, they do not appear to be mandatory.

Then there is the line at the bottom that states if you break the "RULES" you could be fined. So what are the "RULES"? Are the rules the "MUST DO" section or the "SHOULD DO" section or both? Definitely not clear!

Not that anyone would go to court over a $1,000 fine but I wonder how this would be interpreted by a Judge.

Reactions: gufferr
I live a area that has both heavy woods and open agriculture fields. While flying over the trees and line of sight is obstructed by timber. I get a signal breakup around 4000' away. So I tested in a open field where there is nothing to obstruct the signal, I easily flew a mile with no breakups and was still showing a full signal strength. I had no need to fly further than a mile to tell me what I already expected. When the RC loses a clear site of the drone, the signal is comprised.

Reactions: gufferr
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada