DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

107 Test at PSI.

The FAA does not get one cent of the testing fee, that all goes to PSI and it's 3rd party contracts, this is a well known fact. I think if the test price for general aviation certification was 150.00 before UA's were integrated into the NAS and that is what we are charged, I am fine with that. I look at it as just another of the expenses in the business.
From what I am seeing, PSI is just a generic test admin company. In other words, its a purely administrative part of the equation - no value whatsoever added to actual airspace safety or management.
Not only that, it means they do volume. Their software is used for otehr kinds of testing from what I read.
I like that the FAA actually chose someone that makes working software, unlike the DMV, but $160 is really high compared to what it must cost PSI. Think about it - you just told me the admin job was given to some contractor that set its own price, since they already had the software.
This is a dead end answer, not an explanation of why it costs $160.
Post a link to a real explanation if you know of one. Saying $150 is fine with you or not with me is irrelevent, I am looking for more specific info.

From what I am seeing, PSI is just a generic test admin company. In other words, its a purely administrative part of the equation - no value whatsoever added to actual airspace safety or management.
Not only that, it means they do volume. Their software is used for otehr kinds of testing from what I read.
I like that the FAA actually chose someone that makes working software, unlike the DMV, but $160 is really high compared to what it must cost PSI. Think about it - you just told me the admin job was given to some contractor that set its own price, since they already had the software.
This is a dead end answer, not an explanation of why it costs $160.
Post a link to a real explanation if you know of one. Saying $150 is fine with you or not with me is irrelevent, I am looking for more specific info.

The testing centers are brick and mortar, physical locations. The one I had to go to to take my recurrent was a huge facility with many buildings that had to be an area of 30,000 square feet across several buildings, the numbers of employees had to be significant as this was a really big testing center. Just the cost to keep the doors open and lights on would be enormous and those costs have to be paid by the service they provide if they are to stay in business, so I can see how the cost is where it is.

The testing centers are brick and mortar, physical locations. The one I had to go to to take my recurrent was a huge facility with many buildings that had to be an area of 30,000 square feet across several buildings, the numbers of employees had to be significant as this was a really big testing center. Just the cost to keep the doors open and lights on would be enormous and those costs have to be paid by the service they provide if they are to stay in business, so I can see how the cost is where it is.
But PSI only schedules the tests, and provides the software as I understand it.
The testing centers I have seen are not PSI owned. Some of my fee must go to the physical testing centers though. Anyone know how that works?

But PSI only schedules the tests, and provides the software as I understand it.
The testing centers I have seen are not PSI owned. Some of my fee must go to the physical testing centers though. Anyone know how that works?

I didn't use any equivalent of PSI when I took the initial or recurrent - I went to a local flight test center and paid them the standard $150. I have no idea how the revenue gets split when PSI gets involved, other than that none of it goes to the FAA.

Well, you have to schedule the test through PSI online, then pay through the online interface I thought.
If you are going into flight test center, they are just doing that for you at the moment I bet.
PSI also makes the testing software, but questions are given to them as I understand it. They are not knowledgeable about airspace.
These fees add up though. I'm paying them about what a new Phantom battery cost every couple years.

Well, you have to schedule the test through PSI online, then pay through the online interface I thought.
If you are going into flight test center, they are just doing that for you at the moment I bet.
PSI also makes the testing software, but questions are given to them as I understand it. They are not knowledgeable about airspace.
These fees add up though. I'm paying them about what a new Phantom battery cost every couple years.

No - I scheduled both tests directly with the flight school, and paid on the day of the test.

Hmmm.....Signed up for what I hope is the FAA 107 test at PSI in San Francisco. The test is called unmanned aircraft general - small (UAG). They charged me $96. Does this sound like the right test? Have called PSI but cant seem to talk to a human to verify. The $96 charge is well below the standard $150. Thanks
i think the test should be 150

$150 is the standard cost for Part 107 testing. I scheduled mine directly with my local flight school. The testing centers are contractors to PSI/CATS, the FAA testing partner. Scheduling can be done through PSI/CATS or sometimes locally with the testing center as I did. The FAA does design the questions. As previously stated, these are brick and mortar facilities which have your normal business overhead costs. One significant cost which cannot be overlooked is the requirement for personnel to monitor the test (for up to 2 hours) to ensure legitimacy of the results (no cheating etc). Non-PSI/CATS testing facilities pay a ‘convenience’ fee to PSI/CATS for scheduling and administrative costs. Given the overhead and licensing fee, the $150 seems reasonable.

Reactions: sar104
Hmmm.....Signed up for what I hope is the FAA 107 test at PSI in San Francisco. The test is called unmanned aircraft general - small (UAG). They charged me $96. Does this sound like the right test? Have called PSI but cant seem to talk to a human to verify. The $96 charge is well below the standard $150. Thanks
Yes. That’s the one. I just signed up for May 1st at an airport testing center in Sevierville TN. They charge an extra $64 charge but none of the PSI centers were scheduling.

There are quite a few contracted testing centers still open. The $64 'Convenience' charge goes to PSI. The remainder of the fee, either $150 or $160 less $64 is retained by the testing centers to cover costs (+ margin). If you login to the PSI site, you can search based on your zip code and coverage area and you will receive a list of all sites that are currently still offering the exam. Also, I stated incorrectly in my prior post that you can schedule with the local center. All exam and payments must go through the PSI site now. If you attempt to schedule through the CATS website, you will be redirected to the PSI site. CATS is owned by PSI now. Sorry about the erroneous information. Also, I spoke to an administrator of one of the sites this morning, and many of the sites are using cameras to ensure the applicant follows all the rules etc. Many of the sites are doing this because of the social distancing efforts as a result of the Pandemic. But that still doesn't obviate the requirement for monitoring the procedure. Someone still needs to watch the video feed.

Last edited:
$150 is the standard cost for Part 107 testing. I scheduled mine directly with my local flight school. The testing centers are contractors to PSI/CATS, the FAA testing partner. Scheduling can be done through PSI/CATS or sometimes locally with the testing center as I did. The FAA does design the questions. As previously stated, these are brick and mortar facilities which have your normal business overhead costs. One significant cost which cannot be overlooked is the requirement for personnel to monitor the test (for up to 2 hours) to ensure legitimacy of the results (no cheating etc). Non-PSI/CATS testing facilities pay a ‘convenience’ fee to PSI/CATS for scheduling and administrative costs. Given the overhead and licensing fee, the $150 seems reasonable.
Well, when I go to take the test, its at a place with two computers. They are there for the manned flight tests, and have been there long before the drone regs. They like the drone people because they take 10 minutes to sign in, seat them down and get things started for 3 minutes, then talk to them for 5 minutes when done. They are not even there for the testing, they are there for the manned flight training, and attend to us in between the big paying customers. Some of the 107 people eventually go on to manned flight training which they love to sell. These drone tests are like gifts from heaven for them, and must chuckle every time we come in.

Well, when I go to take the test, its at a place with two computers. They are there for the manned flight tests, and have been there long before the drone regs. They like the drone people because they take 10 minutes to sign in, seat them down and get things started for 3 minutes, then talk to them for 5 minutes when done. They are not even there for the testing, they are there for the manned flight training, and attend to us in between the big paying customers. Some of the 107 people eventually go on to manned flight training which they love to sell. These drone tests are like gifts from heaven for them, and must chuckle every time we come in.

And the Part 61 written test costs even more. Just because the sUAS test is newer doesn't mean it should be subsidized. I really cannot figure out how you justify that self-entitled attitude to yourself.

And the Part 61 written test costs even more. Just because the sUAS test is newer doesn't mean it should be subsidized. I really cannot figure out how you justify that self-entitled attitude to yourself.
Of course you don't understand. You somehow conclude that there are drone flight costs justifying $160 a person every 2 years.
It really does not matter what other tests cost, comparisons are useless here because drone flights are entirely different than manned flights.
Until someone can show where the money goes, not just "to PSI don't you know...", you don't have grounds to claim the cost is not higher than it should be. I don't have grounds to conclude the opposite, and I am only suspecting it of being high.
I gave my reasons, and it will likely take some research to understand if the money matches the costs, or if its just some number that sounded significant. I'm guessing they chose a number, and then are spending whatever comes in depending how many take the test. In other words, not planned out, as we would have heard of that planning.

Of course you don't understand. You somehow conclude that there are drone flight costs justifying $160 a person every 2 years.
It really does not matter what other tests cost, comparisons are useless here because drone flights are entirely different than manned flights.
Until someone can show where the money goes, not just "to PSI don't you know...", you don't have grounds to claim the cost is not higher than it should be. I don't have grounds to conclude the opposite, and I am only suspecting it of being high.
I gave my reasons, and it will likely take some research to understand if the money matches the costs, or if its just some number that sounded significant. I'm guessing they chose a number, and then are spending whatever comes in depending how many take the test. In other words, not planned out, as we would have heard of that planning.

It's based on what they charge for similar written tests. Why would these be different?

I hope to get enough real info to answer that. Amazing how some people just plop their money down because government invented a new rule.
And, yah, I am entitled to not being charged beyond real costs.

From my experience, that is the correct test and the correct charge. I took my test back in December at a PSI testing facility here in the Atlanta area. Charge was $96.00.
Seamless. Leave your phone on the car. You are not allowed to bring it in!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drsmurph