DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

107 Test Preparation

Old Man Grizz

Reactions
Howdy Folks,
And Happy New Year!!
I’m 65 years old and have been flying drones for a couple of years. I’m interested in obtaining my 107 License, and I’m wondering what you folks felt was the best way to learn and prepare to take The Test...
Thanks in advance for your Input!
Old Man Grizz

I’m just finishing the online course for taking the part 107 exam. The course Is through UAVcoaching.com. Alan Perlman is very helpful and responsive to answering any questions. The actual school is called Drone Pilot Ground School. I hope this helps. It helped me decipher Ariel sectional maps, which was one of the sections of the exam that I needed help with figuring out. I hope this helps.
Blue Skies from SoCal

Grizz. I just goggled part 107 on utube and watched A bunch of videos. And took practice test which is on their also

Howdy Folks,
And Happy New Year!!
I’m 65 years old and have been flying drones for a couple of years. I’m interested in obtaining my 107 License, and I’m wondering what you folks felt was the best way to learn and prepare to take The Test...
Thanks in advance for your Input!
Old Man Grizz
Here are three things that will be most beneficial to start with. Many pilots have successfully passed the exam with nothing more.
1. Tony Northrup video and associated fact sheet.
2. The Official FAA Study Guide.
3. 3dr Practice Exam, as well as the practice exam and info on Rupprecht Law.

Reactions: raymairjr
I did online studying, but also took a four-session class at a Schoolcraft Community College. I don't know how widely such classes are available, but worth it if you can find one.

I’m just finishing the online course for taking the part 107 exam. The course Is through UAVcoaching.com. Alan Perlman is very helpful and responsive to answering any questions. The actual school is called Drone Pilot Ground School. I hope this helps. It helped me decipher Ariel sectional maps, which was one of the sections of the exam that I needed help with figuring out. I hope this helps.
Blue Skies from SoCal
Surprised to see you taking the 107. Are you planning to do commercial work or sell you footage? I am purely a hobbyist and after med school vowed to never take another examination! In fact, I think the freedom of being a hobbyist is an advantage.

Surprised to see you taking the 107. ... I am purely a hobbyist ... I think the freedom of being a hobbyist is an advantage.

I agree to some extent. I also feel that the 107 (and the fancy card from the FAA) will provide more credibility when flying. If you're 107 you still can fly non-107 flights! :D

I agree to some extent. I also feel that the 107 (and the fancy card from the FAA) will provide more credibility when flying. If you're 107 you still can fly non-107 flights! :D
I guess I could get credibility most of the time by wearing a yellow vest ( I was tempted to buy one off the Amazon site) , but I try to remain unnoticed. I seek out isolated launching sites if I can, and try like hell not to attract attention to me. I am not sure who I would provide credibility to...an irate citizen, a police officer, a park ranger? Right now, my modus operandi is to remain as invisible as possible. The drone forum has made me really gun shy about flying near people. I do it if there no other choice, but as I said, I search for remote launching sites. I guess if I were younger and really wanted to sell my footage, I'd take the 107. But for me, I am sticking to being a hobbyist.

Surprised to see you taking the 107. Are you planning to do commercial work or sell you footage? I am purely a hobbyist and after med school vowed to never take another examination! In fact, I think the freedom of being a hobbyist is an advantage.
There is certainly no disadvantage to obtaining a Part 107 Certification. It's just the opposite. The education, whether flying as a hobbyist or 107, is an asset to any person operating an AC. A 107 holder can fly either as a hobbyist or under 107 regulations as long as the flight is designated as such before hand.

... But for me, I am sticking to being a hobbyist.

So, as a hobbyist, you have no desire to educate yourself about your hobby?

About 30 years ago, I had a big interest in law enforcement. I listened to scanners. I got books that talked about all the radio codes, and I went on ride-a-longs. Later, I got a job as a 911 operator and then discovered that law enforcement was not the career path for me! But my point is that I learned as much as I could about law enforcement so that I could enjoy listening to the scanner. :D

I just completed study and Part 107 exam with flying colors and highly recommend Gold Seal online course uavgroundschool.com. If there is any meaningful endorsement that I can give to Russ and his colleagues at Gold Seal is that I have been someway involved in online courses both as a student and teacher since the early 1980s and their presentations are first class. I also used an ASA study guide to supplement my online study. This being said, you need to take notes as you go through the online course just as though you are sitting in a live classroom environment. Study the material well and you will not only pass the FAA Part 107 exam, but you will do well. Good luck!

There is certainly no disadvantage to obtaining a Part 107 Certification. It's just the opposite. The education, whether flying as a hobbyist or 107, is an asset to any person operating an AC. A 107 holder can fly either as a hobbyist or under 107 regulations as long as the flight is designated as such before hand.

There are also places that only a person with a 107 can fly. I do believe it depends on the area, Houston, TX having a number of these places.

Reactions: Obsidian Sereniti
I took the online course offered by Gleim. There is a small cost involved but I passed on my first attempt. Many of the questions asked in the practice exams were very similar to those on the exam. Good Luck!

Another vote for Drone Pilot Ground School. I passed 1st attempt. But more importantly, I actually learned something. You can definitely cram study on YouTube for the test for free and pass the exam. But, if you are like me, cramming for tests is ONLY good for passing tests. It does nothing for actually learning.

I know how I learn best, and the Drone Pilot Ground School format fits that style to a tee.

I''m 70 years old and hadn't really studied for anything for years. Wasn't sure those brain cells were still active! Pleasant surprise.

Good Luck no matter how you proceed!

Reactions: NealJ777
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottLoucks