DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

15 tips if you want to fly in the Snow

Thanks Dylan, been out this morning in the snow and only just read your thread. I should have rad before I went. Great advice many thanks.

Want to fly in the #snow? Here's a few tips to keep you safe..
Top 15 Tips for flying Drones in Winter Snow - ikopta
Thanks for great recommendations. Just one more thing with snow. I have found that the proximity or vertical sensors have problems because of lack of surface definition in snow and prevent the drone from landing. It stops at about 5-ft. elevation and it takes a while to get the Mavic to land. I suppose I could switch to sports mode. Have not tried.

Great tips.

I use a Turnigy Programmable Lipo Battery Warmer Bag (12v DC) to keep my batteries warm (about $22 including shipping on Amazon).

I own several kinds of flying gloves and mittens for winter flying. For warmer cold days, I’ve cut the index and thumb fingertips off of cheap, fabric work gloves to keep my hands warm (see photos). The gloves are synthetic material so use a small open flame to melt and seal the edges of the cut fabric to keep it from fraying.

I fly several E-flite UMX fixed-wing RC aircraft during the winter and fashioned a “battery glove” (from the index finger I cut off of the cheap gloves mentioned above) to keep the batteries warm during flight (see photos). The battery glove and heat generated by the discharging battery during flight is just enough to keep the batteries from getting too cold or hot. This extends the flight time to about normal for a nice summer day.

I also own an inexpensive ($23 or so on Amazon) anemometer that I use when flying very light aircraft in winds below several MPH, but on most days I use the free Windy app, which gives good wind info based on satellite data. The Windy app provides wind forecasts, so it's a good tool for flight planning.

Glove 1.jpgBat Glove 1.jpgBat Glove 2.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan