DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Mavics at Nelson Bay NSW fireworks ?!

kakao

Reactions
Anyone from this forum was there at 9.00pm with their Mavics?

I ended up watching the drones instead of fireworks, looked like a very skilfull piloting to me.

Anyone ..?!,?

Maybe they were RePL / ReOC approved then ?
It was reported on Aus FB page asking same thing (you might be on that ?)

Also Yamba fireworks, drone was hit by fireworks and crashed into ocean, luckily not on crowded beach.

according to the CASA regs, you aren't supposed to fly at night, or also over crowds and events, anytime. I guess they know this but don't care. I'm only annoyed at these types cos i don't want to have to pay for a license to fly a drone in the future, although perhaps they had approval to fly. I get it, as a photographer I am curious about video of fireworks from a different angle.....so it's very tempting, esp in remote areas. But, most of Yamba beach zone is red on the Can I Fly here app.

Yes, it is frustrating, FB groups are full of this sort of thing . . .

You know what though ?
I wonder how much DJI actually put into their packages now to explain local rules / regulations exist ?
I don't recall getting anything with mine, and early on before I found Forums and good FB group, I flew unknowingly in a Conservation Pk, safely I might add, but still verboten in SA.

Was recently given a ZeroX Rapture drone to play with in Atti to hone skills there, and there was a MAAA flyer in there with all sorts of CASA links and rules, I thought this was a great thing.
I'll find the pic I took on my phone and add it shortly from that device.
77b8d7adc60adc3905183a5923e9d792.jpg

Did you know CASA have changed 30m rule, no longer need to stay away form buildings, vehicles ???
Very interesting, along with no more 45m rule in outer heli zones, just land if you become aware of air traffic.

Flying drones or model aircraft recreationally | Civil Aviation Safety Authority
really? I didn't know about the 30m thing. just as well, it's a bit like swimming with whales.... I can't help it if a person comes towards me, breaching the 30m rule. I also live just outside 5.5km from a small airfield used for summertime fire fighting planes, so I see them a lot (they are so cool!), but it's a bit annoying that I have to land when I see them, I'm not sure if being 6km+ away allows me to keep flying over my farm, probably not. and bloody SA and their conservation parks! good grief. yet another reason for tourists to not come here. I think for pure recreational use you can get away with a lot more, but I'm trying to sell all the imagery I make so it's a bit different for me.

really? I didn't know about the 30m thing. just as well, it's a bit like swimming with whales.... I can't help it if a person comes towards me, breaching the 30m rule. I also live just outside 5.5km from a small airfield used for summertime fire fighting planes, so I see them a lot (they are so cool!), but it's a bit annoying that I have to land when I see them, I'm not sure if being 6km+ away allows me to keep flying over my farm, probably not. and bloody SA and their conservation parks! good grief. yet another reason for tourists to not come here. I think for pure recreational use you can get away with a lot more, but I'm trying to sell all the imagery I make so it's a bit different for me.

Yeah, hard with the distance / people rule, if they come toward you, you're supposed to keep yourself between the drone and them.
I think if you were unlucky enough to have the minimal CASA people spot you in such a case, they would be pretty **** to fine you if you explained such a situation.

The little fire bombers are brilliant, used to do the SES thing filling them for a few summers when younger.

Australian National Parks in general, and lands under their authority, are pretty well either banned for drones totally, restricted so much they might as well be banned, or if lucky enough to be in QLD, totally free to fly !! Lucky buggers, I go up there a lot in the past, and will take my Mavic on further trips for bushwalks etc.

You can (like the US Nat Pks) take of and land outside a park boundary, and fly over . . . though you are to take care not to bug the wildlife with close flying etc.

Anyway, there are plenty of places to fly without worrying too much - - - yet . . . it's local councils now that are the biggest threat to suburban use, many have already banned drones flying from 'their' land too, but you can fly over ok.
A right pain.

Yeah, hard with the distance / people rule, if they come toward you, you're supposed to keep yourself between the drone and them.
I think if you were unlucky enough to have the minimal CASA people spot you in such a case, they would be pretty **** to fine you if you explained such a situation.

Anyway, there are plenty of places to fly without worrying too much - - - yet . . . it's local councils now that are the biggest threat to suburban use, many have already banned drones flying from 'their' land too, but you can fly over ok.
A right pain.

I'm usually pretty ok, female in her 40s.... I'm so boring it's not worth bothering me, works a treat! I'm aiming for "boring middle class soccer mum" as my identity, and I choose which car I take carefully, I've also found no one bothers you, or thinks you are a threat, when you have a nice german car. I can talk my way out of most situations, not that it's come to that, although I did some years ago get told off at Luna Park for shooting with a tripod (not allowed due to OHS). Local councils are a pain, I'm moving soon so I think the first thing i'll do is go to local council and spruik my photography services.

Good plan re contracting council, though you might have to show some qualifications and public liability insurances to satisfy their corporate rules etc.
If you don't have them already . . . RePL / ReOC, or maybe at least an ARN under 'excluded', and bluff 'em :)

I was looking up legal filming in Aust the other day, and you know I found some pretty interesting rules, esp around Sydney, eg. it said Luna Pk is one place photography is not allowed, in or around !! No idea why, I'll try and find the link, hang on . . .

Yes, in here, down under Sydney Harbour Foreshore Auth info . . .

Arts Law : Information Sheet : Street photographer’s rights

I
Good plan re contracting council, though you might have to show some qualifications and public liability insurances to satisfy their corporate rules etc.
If you don't have them already . . . RePL / ReOC, or maybe at least an ARN under 'excluded', and bluff 'em :)

I was looking up legal filming in Aust the other day, and you know I found some pretty interesting rules, esp around Sydney, eg. it said Luna Pk is one place photography is not allowed, in or around !! No idea why, I'll try and find the link, hang on . . .

Yes, in here, down under Sydney Harbour Foreshore Auth info . . .

Arts Law : Information Sheet : Street photographer’s rights
yes, I will update my PL insurance once we move, haven't seen much of a need for it here as I haven't done much client work in SA. I shoot lots of stock photography so I know many of these rules, although I was at Melbourne Luna Park at the time. Bondi too has similar rules (under Waverley council) but is largely ignored, and don't even think about Uluru! I'll be living in Sydney this year, but way up in Nthn beaches so far fewer rules and more options. What is interesting in Australia is that we have no "right to privacy" laws like other countries have, so I actually can take a photo of anyone on the street and sell it. I don't do that of course, and as I submit work to int'l libraries I need a model release or property release for a lot of images, but it's interesting that a country with so many regulations is missing this one.

Yes, it is frustrating, FB groups are full of this sort of thing . . .

You know what though ?
I wonder how much DJI actually put into their packages now to explain local rules / regulations exist ?
I don't recall getting anything with mine, and early on before I found Forums and good FB group, I flew unknowingly in a Conservation Pk, safely I might add, but still verboten in SA.

Was recently given a ZeroX Rapture drone to play with in Atti to hone skills there, and there was a MAAA flyer in there with all sorts of CASA links and rules, I thought this was a great thing.
I'll find the pic I took on my phone and add it shortly from that device.
77b8d7adc60adc3905183a5923e9d792.jpg

I cannot see any connection with the topic I've posted about Nelson Buy drones on NY eve?!?

Not at all.

Reactions: Prado man
I cannot see any connection with the topic I've posted about Nelson Buy drones on NY eve?!?

Not at all.

Not at all ?
It's easy.

People get drones, but often no info on rules, CASA etc, they often fly unknowingly outside official regs.
I was pointing out this cheap drone had the sheet included, but as far as I recall DJI don't ?
They should as market leaders.

I just checked previous replies, see you only posted the OP, so sorry, it sort of drifted to potentially this being outside CASA rules.
Am figuring you know about CASA rules to fly for both recreational and commercial flyers.

I am sure that the form you posted above, was actually required, or asked for, by CASA to be supplied to new purchasers of 'drones'....

I am sure that the form you posted above, was actually required, or asked for, by CASA to be supplied to new purchasers of 'drones'....

I actually think it was an MAAA initiative Simmo . . . they printed the flyer, not sure how it got into the box via the supplier, as these would be O/S made, it might get put into the box by the supplier ?
The info was out of date though, probably packed up before recent changes to rec flyer rules.

I didn't know about CASA / Nat Pks etc until I and found references to it on Youtube vid tutorials etc, then a lot more when I found MavicPilots, FB group etc.
there was nothing I recall in the DJI packaging like this.
Of course now there is at least the warnings on the app if in a NFZ, and if close enough to C class lower SFC, you can't even start motors.

Anyway, I'm not saying more on this here as the OP was upset that it drifted onto CASA discussion, as important as it is.

I already said that the pilots at Nelson Bay might have been qualified and approved to fly (as he noted they seemed skilled).

Maybe I will add . . . No mate, I wasn't there, sounds like a good night out.

Reactions: Simmo
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Did anyone notice the drone in the background during the recovery of crashed aircraft on the Hawkesbury this week? I thought recovery/police actions etc were "no go".
Perhaps it was an approved flght.

I am licensed and get CASA notices but did not know of the change regarding buildings and cars. Thanks for the update.

Funny that, snuck up on me too, heard about that change via a FB group a week after it came in.

Did anyone notice the drone in the background during the recovery of crashed aircraft on the Hawkesbury this week? I thought recovery/police actions etc were "no go".
Perhaps it was an approved flght.

See it on the news or in a media pic ?
Could have been a Police one recording the scene . . .
Just found it, brief appearance at 0:47, Phantom.
Police raise seaplane wreckage from Hawkesbury River

Depends on if air support was deemed necessary maybe, if not a NFZ ok I guess . . . they kept well back which is good.

No, apparently nobody knows who they are. But they do have plenty of off-topic opinions they'd like to share.
Well clearly not, but while we’re here we drifted off Topic and had an interesting discussion. Close the thread then as no one has an answer for the OP

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661