DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

$49 Huawei Ascend XT2 aka Wunderphone = THE best Mavic screen EVER

Just for clarification purpose because "unlocking" can have different meaning:

Bootloader unlocking & rooting: available and free if you follow the provided link a couple post above. It will give you full control over the Android OS.

SIM unlocking (to use the phone with different provider): this is available on the net but not for free (about 40USD).

Both unlock and rooting done. I have then installed a small app to get control over the USB charging (or not) the phone and it works as well.

Reactions: vinhidalgo
Both unlock and rooting done. I have then installed a small app to get control over the USB charging (or not) the phone and it works as well.

Brilliant, you guys are the absolute best.

How does one go about getting the phone unlocked now and is rooting needed if the only intent is to use the XT2 for mostly flying and the occasional use as a phone using T-Mobile?

If you want to use a different provider (eg: TMobile), you need a SIM unlock. I read that your provider will do it for you for free under certain conditions (I'm not in US).
Or you can find Website on the net that will provide a SIM Unlock code for 40$.
I don't need this since I use the phone only for flying the Mavic

If you want to gain control over the phone (like an admin over Windows), you need to unlock the bootloader, then you can root the phone. You can do this yourself for free but you void your warranty.
Once the phone is rooted, you get sufficient privilege to allow apps to better control phone feature (like USB charging or not).

Unlocking SIM and unlocking bootloader have different purposes.

Post 1679 ish through 1692 on this thread. you need 4.1.3

I just installed it, icons fixed but it crashed twice on me doing the same thing as earlier.... It crashes and says i need to update my NFZ database. I am in airplane mode, no wifi, no sim card with a modded 4.1.3 what the ****
Unfortunately it will always ask or say that you need to update your NFZ data base, this is due to not been connected to Internet so it can check your version is up to date. Just ignore it or turn on Wunderphones wifi and hotspot to your main phone for data connection to comfirm NFZ then turn of WiFi.

Interesting problem? with my wunderphone/ascend xt2

Regardless of which usb port I connect it to, it starts charging and tells me "yay, you are at 100%". it'll drain a tiny bit, then charge (from controller) and tell me, again, "yay, you are at 100%" hah.

I swipe down, and try to change the USB config from charging to MTP or MIDI or any other option, it 'closes but doesnt take/stick' and i'm back to charging again. (it'll pop up the DJO Go 4 prompt and it auto-reselects charging)

Anyone run into this?
This is common on all android devices with Mavic Controller and cannot be stopped. Just be thankful that Wunderphone uses little juice as do some devices.

I am late to this party, obviously the $49 sale no longer exists. I had been using my iPhone 6S Plus for my DJI Go4 and recently upgraded the phone to 8plus. I feel like I need a dedicated device to fly Mavic so my calls won’t interrupt flying etc.

I have two options, get the Wunderphone for around $90 (Walmart/Amazon) or use spare iPhone 6 (not 6S plus). I have never used android devices before but I have no problem (or shame) using them for this purpose. I can still sell the iPhone 6 for around $120 on eBay to pay for wunderphone.

The question is it worth it? Is there anyone who used iPhone 6 and had better experience with wunderphone? Do you recommend it at this price point?

Thanks!

I am late to this party, obviously the $49 sale no longer exists. I had been using my iPhone 6S Plus for my DJI Go4 and recently upgraded the phone to 8plus. I feel like I need a dedicated device to fly Mavic so my calls won’t interrupt flying etc.

I have two options, get the Wunderphone for around $90 (Walmart/Amazon) or use spare iPhone 6 (not 6S plus). I have never used android devices before but I have no problem (or shame) using them for this purpose. I can still sell the iPhone 6 for around $120 on eBay to pay for wunderphone.

The question is it worth it? Is there anyone who used iPhone 6 and had better experience with wunderphone? Do you recommend it at this price point?

Thanks!
I recommend the used Apple phone
I have the xt2, a mini 4 and a s7...
Have many issues with the Androids, never one with the apple
I am an android guy

Reactions: coop64
Same here... I have the xt2, Mediapad T3 (Wundertablet) and an iPad Mini 4.
The Androids work great w/my Spark...not as well with the Mavic.
Of course I froze all my Android devices to GO v 4.1.15 so I could still use OTG.

I bought the cricket version of this, the elate, and use it with my Mavic. Not a single issue and great having a dedicated device. Used both a patched 4.1.15 and the current store version.

I have the original one in the post -- the At&T one, and it is flawless. I use it only for the Mavic, and have deleted all other apps. It has no carrier sim, and I've added a 128gm micro SD, so it has a lot of memory. My version of DJI Go still allows offline maps, which work great. As long as I keep it off any kind of internet connection while the Mavic is connected, I never see any "reminders" to upgrade, or any nagware about updating NFZ's.

My phone is my phone. My Wonderphone is just for the Mavic. Best way to do it. Living in the past and loving it.

Reactions: gjhick and coop64
the wunderphone worked good for me but i found i wanted a larger screen size and storage space so i got a ipad mini 128 gb,,with over $3500 invested in drones whats a few more dollars.

$89 is the current price at Walmart/Amazon/Jet. I see a few on eBay for $79.
Elate (same exact phone but on Cricket network) is available from Best Buy for ~$65 plus tax) as of two days ago when I bought mine. . I fly without the sim and tether to my iPhone WiFi hotspot in the field. Great option. I have both the elate and the ascend as dedicated units one for the Mavic and one for the P3P. Flying all day 107 missions I now have 4 devices to choose from.

Elate (same exact phone but on Cricket network) is available from Best Buy for ~$65 plus tax) as of two days ago when I bought mine.
Yes, sir. It's available here on Best Buy's website.

I may have stumbled on a solution for the video connection problem. At least this worked with my Huawei XT2 Ascend android phone. I set the Data Save in the on mode. Granted unrestricted access to compass and DJI GO 4. On my lunch break I was able to connect for the first time to this device. I connected 10 out of 10 times in various start up orders with no problems and have a crystal clear video feed. I am using a DJI Phantom 4 Pro and the GO 4 Ver 4. I hope this helps others!
Corkster 503Data Saver.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer