DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

96mm zoom in mavic 2 zoom

JS_2016

Reactions
I just got a Mavic 2 zoom today and am very happy with how it flies except for the zoom. I saw a couple of YouTube videos showing guys changing their video size to 1080 and then being able to zoom in up to 96mm. I’ve done everything they did on their drones as far as changing settings but my drone will only zoom in to 48mm. Is there something I’m missing? I’ve been flying a mavic Pro for the last 3 years so I’m familiar with all of the functions on the Mavics and am wondering if my new drone has something wrong with it.

I just got a Mavic 2 zoom today and am very happy with how it flies except for the zoom. I saw a couple of YouTube videos showing guys changing their video size to 1080 and then being able to zoom in up to 96mm. I’ve done everything they did on their drones as far as changing settings but my drone will only zoom in to 48mm. Is there something I’m missing? I’ve been flying a mavic Pro for the last 3 years so I’m familiar with all of the functions on the Mavics and am wondering if my new drone has something wrong with it.
Your lens will only zoom to 48mm focal length.
The 2x digital zoom is just a fiddle rather than something real.

You also have to be in video mode to see the 96mm. In stills mode, you're limited to 48mm.

Reactions: Thomas B
Your lens will only zoom to 48mm focal length.
The 2x digital zoom is just a fiddle rather than something real.
Sorry, I guess I wasn’t clear ....I have the new Mavic 2 Zoom model, not the Pro.

The 96mm is not a "digital zoom" since it's a crop and not an upsampling which is what "digital zoom" has referred to for decades. If you want to call it something similar a few call it "lossless digital zoom".
You need to be in video mode, 1080p and 30fps or less to get the 4x zoom.

Reactions: Bobvt
No, traditional digital zoom is a crop upscaled to the full size's resolution.
Set camera to 4K, digital zoom 2x would take the center 1080 but upscale it so you still get a 4K output, but a crappy one. Taking the center 1080p and making 1080p doesn't cause a mess, hence "lossless digital zoom" or if you don't want to confuse people like marketing does, just a crop or not mention anything at all since precisely as long as the camera outputs an image no larger than the resolution of the crop that process is (almost) indistinguishable from optical zoom to the user.

48mm isnt enough?
Someone Didn't have a Mavic One I'm guessing.

96mm is digital zoom anyway which is rubbish
edit: O yeh I forgot; 1080 is rubbish too. It's not an Action Cam

48mm isnt enough?
Someone Didn't have a Mavic One I'm guessing.

96mm is digital zoom anyway which is rubbish
edit: O yeh I forgot; 1080 is rubbish too. It's not an Action Cam
1080 is rubbish? It’s perfectly acceptable to many- especially those who don’t have a 4K display.

Reactions: FlyBoyRez
yes like me :(

No offense m8. And I respect your enthusiasm for Mavic, but I think
your priorities might be mixed up.

I paid near $3500 for my 55" Sony 4K tele back in 2016. (i had my priorities mixed up perhaps)
You could buy the same size/spec 4K tele at Walmart for like $350 today.
You would probably get HDR thrown in too.
TV's are more static than Drones also

edited reason: caffeine

Last edited:
The 96mm is not a "digital zoom" since it's a crop and not an upsampling which is what "digital zoom" has referred to for decades. If you want to call it something similar a few call it "lossless digital zoom".
You need to be in video mode, 1080p and 30fps or less to get the 4x zoom.
Hi, thanks for your reply. When I change the video size setting to 1080/24 my drone will only zoom to 48. I’ve seen YouTube videos of people having their display actually go up to 96. My drone won’t do this and I wondered if their is something else I need to do to allow it to zoom further. I’ve changed it back and forth 30 or more times and nothing changes.

Hi, thanks for your reply. When I change the video size setting to 1080/24 my drone will only zoom to 48. I’ve seen YouTube videos of people having their display actually go up to 96. My drone won’t do this and I wondered if their is something else I need to do to allow it to zoom further. I’ve changed it back and forth 30 or more times and nothing changes.
Go to video settings and do a reset to default, them alter mode to 1080p30. Not 24 or 60.
It should work.

24, 25 and 30 all work.
Really don't see what would be holding you up unless you're in photo mode.

Screenshot_20190803_223643_dji.go.v4.jpg

True it is digital but the important bit it helps me see what I am filming close up immediately. That to me is a big plus. Zooming in in post will only show you that you do not have what you thought you had in the frame.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead