DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A Brit buying in US - anything to consider?

Jez275

Reactions
Hi, first post but a long time lurker!

I’m coming to the US next month for a few weeks so thought a good opportunity to pick up a Mavic Air - seems a fair bit cheaper than the UK.

Is there anything I need to consider after my trip when I go back to the UK, e.g.

- Do I need to buy DJI Care in the U.K. to cover U.K. use, or is it global?

- Are the US and EU Mavic Air's the same (I read here the EU ones have less range as use CE rather than FAA modes)?

Thanks Jez

Warranty will be a bit difficult as you 'll have to send it back to the country of purchase (e,g US) if you need to claim it.

This can be mitigated by buying the DJI Care Refresh for the UK, you'll need to do this within 2 days of activation

Reactions: Jez275
- Are the US and EU Mavic Air's the same (I read here the EU ones have less range as use CE rather than FAA modes)?

They're physically the same unit, the switch is done with software when the DJI Go app starts on your mobile device.

Do I need to buy DJI Care in the U.K. to cover U.K. use, or is it global?
The DJI warranty can only be used in the US if you purchase your Mavic Air in the US. However, you can buy DJI Care Refresh from DJI here and then activate it here for use in the UK. You'll be prompted to choose the country where you'd like coverage when activating your DJI Care Refresh policy.

See the DJI Care Refresh FAQ for more details about DJI Care Refresh.

Are the US and EU Mavic Air's the same
Yes. The Mavic Air will automatically switch between FCC and CE mode depending on where it's currently located.

If you're looking for a place to purchase your Mavic Air, Amazon is a great place to buy in the US. I keep this list of authorized DJI dealers with Mavic Airs in stock. It includes the latest deals available from all authorized DJI dealers selling on Amazon.

If you get hit by customs on the way back it can eat what you save inport & vat tax don't come cheep plus a fine if they want my advice is go though the red channel on the way back and ask if you need to pay tax . Play the dumb traveler tell them it's for you and you don't want to brake the law most officers will wave you through for being honest if you go through the green and they stop you you will end up paying

The DJI warranty can only be used in the US if you purchase your Mavic Air in the US. However, you can buy DJI Care Refresh from DJI here and then activate it here for use in the UK. You'll be prompted to choose the country where you'd like coverage when activating your DJI Care Refresh policy.

See the DJI Care Refresh FAQ for more details about DJI Care Refresh.

Yes. The Mavic Air will automatically switch between FCC and CE mode depending on where it's currently located.

If you're looking for a place to purchase your Mavic Air, Amazon is a great place to buy in the US. I keep this list of authorized DJI dealers with Mavic Airs in stock. It includes the latest deals available from all authorized DJI dealers selling on Amazon.

Thanks for all the help guys. Msinger, wow lots of detail thank you. One question though over the DJI Care issue I couldn’t upwork out from the FAQ: - if I buy the Air in the US, but the DJI Care in the UK, can I still use the drone in the US and then buy the Care when I get home - or would I buy the (UK) DJI Care from the US?

I’m just trying to understand the logistics of buying and then activation the Care product - I might be confusing myself!

Thanks, Jez

Also, don't forget, like all electronic products bought the US, the electrical plug will be two-pronged and require an adapter to plug in back home. The "brick" is capable of handling the higher voltage but the plug needs an adapter or should be swapped out. Fortunately, the MA comes with a detachable plug from the brick and you can simply purchase a standard Figure-8 cord for your country.

if I buy the Air in the US, but the DJI Care in the UK, can I still use the drone in the US and then buy the Care when I get home
After you activate your Mavic Air in DJI GO, you'll only have 48 hours to purchase and activate DJI Care Refresh. If you wait longer than that, you'll have to submit a video to DJI to show all is in working order (see more details here).

or would I buy the (UK) DJI Care from the US?
You'll need the Mavic Air serial number (it's in the battery compartment) before you can purchase DJI Care, so you'll need to wait until you have your Mavic Air in hand. At that point, go here, change your region to the UK (click the red area in the screenshot below), purchase DJI Care Refresh, and activate it right away (so you don't have to submit a verification video).

DJIStore.jpg

I'd also make sure you pre-order from someone so you can pick it up when you get here. Inventory has been sketchy, at least around here (Colorado). I got the last one at my local DJI store the other day, and they aren't expecting the fly more combos for several weeks.

I'd also make sure you pre-order from someone so you can pick it up when you get here. Inventory has been sketchy, at least around here (Colorado).
There are lots of Mavic Air fly more combos available here on Amazon and ready to ship soon via Amazon Prime.

After you activate your Mavic Air in DJI GO, you'll only have 48 hours to purchase and activate DJI Care Refresh. If you wait longer than that, you'll have to submit a video to DJI to show all is in working order (see more details here).

You'll need the Mavic Air serial number (it's in the battery compartment) before you can purchase DJI Care, so you'll need to wait until you have your Mavic Air in hand. At that point, go here, change your region to the UK (click the red area in the screenshot below), purchase DJI Care Refresh, and activate it right away (so you don't have to submit a verification video).

View attachment 31749
Awesome info Msinger - very much appreciated thank you!

Yeah good point Coskier regarding pre-ordering. It’ll probably have to be a chain like Best Buy as I’m not sure what day I’m going to be where

Thanks Jez

If you get hit by customs on the way back it can eat what you save inport & vat tax don't come cheep plus a fine if they want my advice is go though the red channel on the way back and ask if you need to pay tax . Play the dumb traveler tell them it's for you and you don't want to brake the law most officers will wave you through for being honest if you go through the green and they stop you you will end up paying
The problem is if they wave you through, technically you've still smuggled the device in, and you can be caught at any time in future you are travelling:
Ridiculous and unreasonable taxes for used electronic devices in europe

The problem is if they wave you through, technically you've still smuggled the device in, and you can be caught at any time in future you are travelling:
Ridiculous and unreasonable taxes for used electronic devices in europe
Didn't know you may get hit later its unlikely to get hit later as its a used item it's only when your bringing it in new in a box like my watch got it in Dubai when I came back I declared it and was waved through as I had all the boxes and manuals but if I come back now I don't think about it

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dave Cleverley