DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A cheaper alternative to Firehouse strobes!

Good afternoon, as a beginning drone pilot i need to ask, "Will these strobes help with VLSO in daytime flights or has anyone tested it?
Thanks

Good afternoon, as a beginning drone pilot i need to ask, "Will these strobes help with VLSO in daytime flights or has anyone tested it?
Thanks
YES!!!! I have tested this several times. A lot depends on the sky conditions. But in general, without strobes I can see my drones for about 600'. In the daylight with strobes, in general lighting conditions the strobes extend the VLOS to about 1600'. But it is important to note that even with strobes, if you take it beyond where you can see it, reacquiring visual contact can be very difficult so it's best that you not let it go farther than you can see it continuously. I would also have to speculate that the bigger brighter strobes will allow you to see it further out.

One last thing... While many of the strobes are rated at 3 miles at night, the small size, though bright enough, won't be large enough to see them 3 miles away. Farthest I could see a 4 strobe Arc V setup at night was 10k feet before it disappeared (and I hit the RTH button). .

Agree yes, strobes are great for daytime VLOS assistance, especially reaquiring drone after composing photos or taking video and looking at your device screen.
About the only poor distance you get is when flying against a bright light grey cloud background, then they’ll disappear quicker.
White strobes are proven to be the most visible for VLOS distance, day or night.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS