DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A little confused about National Parks etc.

swimpmeister

Reactions
If we are not allowed to fly in a national parks how come it does not indicate this as a no fly zone in kitty hawk? For an example check out Jasper Arkansas. It sits in the Ozark St Frances National Forest but it shows that it is ok to fly. If you look just north of there the Buffalo National River Park is Red with a warning about flying in national parks.

is there a reason for this or am I missing something here? Thanks

Forest service lands are under US Dept of agriculture not the National Park system. The USDA has different regs then national parks that are strictly no fly. Follow the rules you found for the fs land you are on and your good to go. DJI does not geozone fs land except for the wilderness and primitive sites.

As you can see in your forest service screen cap they don't want you annoying people in wilderness and primitive areas and thosr area should be named and marked as such.

So just be careful in National Forest. And don't land or take off from National Parks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spartan Drones
National forest lands have islands of wilderness areas scattered all over the US. At least with my Airmap app, it shows the Buffalo National River Park as Upper Buffalo wilderness area and another one called Hurricane Creek wilderness somewhat east of Buffalo. Also shows on a sectional.
AK map.JPG

I believe you can fly over national parks, but you can't take-off, operate or land while standing on national park land. For example, I live just a few miles from Natchez Trace Parkway, and I can fly over the Trace as long as I'm standing outside park boundaries. The National Park Service (NPS) manages the land but FAA manages the airspace.
I wasn't aware but as someone pointed out, it appears USDA manages Forest Service properties.

Before I purchased my quad I was thinking of all the places I could fly to capture some scenic vistas. I soon found out it takes a little research to make sure it's allowed. Not just national parks & wilderness areas but some national monuments, and critical infrastructure may be considered off limits. There are NFZ to consider as well. I won't argue with those who take off from outside a NP and fly over it, then return. Besides the possibility of the quad accidentally going down in the NP, I don't want to get in a argument with an overzealous ranger or LEO. Just not worth it IMO. Here is a pretty good article about national parks:

If we are not allowed to fly in a national parks how come it does not indicate this as a no fly zone in kitty hawk? For an example check out Jasper Arkansas. It sits in the Ozark St Frances National Forest but it shows that it is ok to fly. If you look just north of there the Buffalo National River Park is Red with a warning about flying in national parks.

I live near the Smoky Mtn NP and B4UFLY definitely shows a no fly area there.

Don't totally rely on Airmap, Kittyhawk or B4UFly to tell you where you can fly. They mainly base it on FAA controlled airspace. They often don't show TFRs.
DJI seems to try and follow TFRs, which is why many have gotten bent out of shape when Airmap or B4UFly says OK, even getting clearance because they don't take TFR or other factors to account, but Go says no.

Way to not answer his question guys.
It is not an FAA NFZ. There is just a rule that you can’t takeoff and land there. So there would be no reason for Kitty hawk or any other map to show it that way.
But you can fly there.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Way to not answer his question guys.
It is not an FAA NFZ. There is just a rule that you can’t takeoff and land there. So there would be no reason for Kitty hawk or any other map to show it that way.
But you can fly there.

Actually the correct answer was effectively covered earlier. It's not that the apps in question don't show where sUAS operations are prohibited, or only consider airspace, it's that the two examples given are not the same. Jasper, AR is in non-wilderness National Forest, and so it is legal to fly there. Buffalo National River, on the other hand, is National Park Service land, and so sUAS operations are prohibited, as shown on Kittyhawk.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbtha7467