DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Accidently Pointed my high intesity Spot Lights at A Sheriff's vehicle while night flying. I flew straight home after that. Oops.

I'm going to have to look into these lights you have mentioned. I just hope they can tolerate the heat they produce without dropping light output too fast. I hate those temperature regulated lights. They always drop lumen output to cool down.
The Vn lights are custom lights with special drivers and he eliminate the step downs. More powerful.

Have you folks heard of LEP (laser ehnahnced phospher) lights yet? They're really starting to explode on the market the past year. I've experimented with a couple but not convinced of their overall practicality. The advantage is their extremely long throw though the beam is extremely tight. They're able to operate with much lower lumens due to their focused optics.

I have a couple of the ones zeusfl referenced and they're great for hand carry. Growing up with flashlights that were simple off/on....and to the current selections where UI has to be learned and rehearsed is mind boggling. Sure is fun though

Reactions: zeusfl
Doesn't look like your doing anything against regulations. Neat setup but I'd be worried about my nice flashlight falling off.
I have only lost one 50 dollar light in the last 5 years. I saw it fall off into the merky swamp below. It was waterproof, so I flew my drone over the area where it fell. I couldn't see it. Must have fallen into the muddy muck.

This might be why there are so many reports of UFO's at night. :) Sure wouldn't want someone shining that light around my house. In the country would be okay, but not in a neighborhood.
I mostly fly from my house and then go out of the neighborhood. I fly directly down the street when leaving so no one thinks i'm looking in their back yards as I leave the neighborhood. I also love flying the drone down the beach at night, I often have it fly above me while i'm walking on the beach at night, so I can see everything around me.

Using the LEP (spot light) can make it not legal at this case. Anyway I found the LEP useless since the spot is so tiny but the true they can beam very far away.
They can easily confuse with a laser light and if you point that to a helicopter or aircraft or even police you can be in serious troubles.

Something like this one.

Check this video comparing K75 and W30.

Reactions: Don Testme
They are aimed based on the drone's direction or angle. I have to move the gimble constantly depending if i'm going fast or slow or stopped. View attachment 160475View attachment 160476
I assume that this produces a ton of heat as well. How do you keep the heat from damaging the drone on the side. I know with the cardboard on the top you are creating a barrier but the side one is flush to the drone.

I assume that this produces a ton of heat as well. How do you keep the heat from damaging the drone on the side. I know with the cardboard on the top you are creating a barrier but the side one is flush to the drone.
I've been asked about heat issues twice now. These LD70 lights do not get that hot. I can hold them in my hand the whole 30 minutes they are on at 4000 lumens. The body of the light doesn't get so hot that you can't hold it. The drones motors get hotter than these LD70 Lights.

Anyway, if they did get super hot, which they don't, there are two layers of industrial velcro separating the lights from the drone. One piece on the light and one piece on the drone. The velcro has never shown any signs of melting.

In fact, I grab them and take them off the drone for recharge immediately after I land the drone. No heat issues.

The trick is not to use the turbo mode from the light and only use the high mode that does not step down in most cases. The cardboard should be sufficient because the wind blast from the drone will keep the light cold.

@Don Testme I just order 2 of the LD70 to test. They are so small and lightweight.

I ordered 2 in blue color in case they fall will be easy to find.

And why do you have to move the gimble constantly?

And why do you have to move the gimble constantly?
The lights are fixed to the drone. When I'm flying fast, the drone tilts forward making the lights tilt forward. The gimbal stays as it was, so I have to move it downward. When I slow down the drone tilts upward and thus the lights move upward. So then I have to move the gimbal upward. Get it?

You just gave me an idea. If I change the gimbal mode to FPV mode the gimbal will follow the angle of the drone while it's flying. Thus, I shouldn't have to adjust the gimbal. The gimbal will move with the drone's axis and thus, stay in line with the lights.

That is the solution !!!! Good Idea !!

If I change the gimbal mode to FPV mode the gimbal will follow the angle of the drone while it's flying. Thus, I shouldn't have to adjust the gimbal. The gimbal will move with the drone's axis and thus, stay in line with the lights.
I've only tried FPV mode once on the gimbal of my Mini, and I was disappointed to find it doesn't work like that.

In FPV mode the gimbal only banks left/right in roll. The camera then rolls with the drone.

But the gimbal is still stabilized in pitch. So as the nose of the drone pitches down/up when the control stick is moved forward/back, the camera remains aimed at its stabilized position and doesn't follow the motion of the drone.

Maybe it's different with your M3.

I compared IMALANT Light to the dual Small Rig Cubes I have been using on my Mavic's for 3 years.
The Imalant deleivers 2200 lumens at .5 meter compared to 1200 Lumens at .5 meters. Very impressive . I have mine mounted and plan to fly in the next few days.

Very nice quality. At 90g x 2 I can still mount my Insta360 RS or X2 and stay within 500g total payload.

Thanks to Testme for bring this light up great choice.

Attachments

• 20230212_191645.jpg
    20230212_191645.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20230212_191801.jpg
    20230212_191801.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 20230212_192438.jpg
    20230212_192438.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • Wow
Where do you got that mount ??? Looks like 3D printed.

I make them. ebay ironskymounts is store. M3 is mine .been making crazy mounts for 5 years. I was never happy with things the way the they come. Been a builder for many years cars, motorcycles and lately drones.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne