DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Accidently Pointed my high intesity Spot Lights at A Sheriff's vehicle while night flying. I flew straight home after that. Oops.

Don Testme

Reactions
While flying my M3 at night, I saw a truck just sitting in an odd place. I pointed my spot lights at it, noticed it had a number on it's roof, so , me being curious, I wanted to know if it was a cop or work truck or a citizen patrol truck, or whatever. Turned out , I was shining my Lights on a Sheriff. OOPS !

Here is the video. Sheriff shows up near the end of the video as I leave the scene and head home.

What spot light do you have on that drone? what drone is that one?

Reactions: Spartan Drones
That was a well produced drone video. I don't think you would have gotten into any trouble. Can you aim those spot lights? or are they aimed based on direction of the drone? Can you show a picture of your drone on here with the spot lights on it?

I was trying something similar with 2 FireflyE07 but was way to heavy with a Rescue Jacket on an DJI Mavic Air 2. Probably with something like what that imalent can be done even better with the Mavic 3. I love that Idea.

Reactions: Drone alone.
That was a well produced drone video. I don't think you would have gotten into any trouble. Can you aim those spot lights? or are they aimed based on direction of the drone? Can you show a picture of your drone on here with the spot lights on it?
They are aimed based on the drone's direction or angle. I have to move the gimble constantly depending if i'm going fast or slow or stopped. drone w lights.jpgdrone w lights 2.jpg

The LD70 seemed to throw a more diffuse light and the Fenix tac light through the spot light you saw.

I make it a rule to only put up to 14 oz of lights on my Mav 3 when flying. I usually put 2. So max 7 oz each. Flies fine with up to 2 7oz lights. I flew earlier with 2 LD70s. They worked great as well. But they don't have that nice spot light effect.
Ive also flown with two Fenix Tac Lights as seen in the pic. It's pretty amazing. I'm going to put 3 of the LD70s on sometime. I'll have to show you what that looks like. one on top and 2 on the sides.

They are aimed based on the drone's direction or angle. I have to move the gimble constantly depending if i'm going fast or slow or stopped. View attachment 160475View attachment 160476
I really like the gap from the light on top with the cardboard since the GPS receptor from the drone is right there at front top and will not interreference too much with the signal and also will not transfer the heat produced by the light.

While flying my M3 at night, I saw a truck just sitting in an odd place. I pointed my spot lights at it, noticed it had a number on it's roof, so , me being curious, I wanted to know if it was a cop or work truck or a citizen patrol truck, or whatever. Turned out , I was shining my Lights on a Sheriff. OOPS !

Here is the video. Sheriff shows up near the end of the video as I leave the scene and head home.

Maybe he thought it was his supervisor checking up on him.

This Mavic 3 is flying with 3 Imalent LD70 4000 lumen mini EDC lights attached with velcro. The video has no adjustments. One Light was on top of the drone, and one was velcroed to each side of the drone. Performance of the drone was unaffected. The 3 lights had a negligible affect on the flight characteristics of the drone because they weigh so little. As you can see the light is bright. These lights are great for smaller drones too. The air2 (S) could easily fly with 2. The mini maybe one or 2.

See the Video for the effect of the lights. See the attached photos for how the lights were arranged on the drone with velcro.

Attachments

• IMG_1170.jpg
    IMG_1170.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1169.jpg
    IMG_1169.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 45
Those lights are interesting. What speeds does that cardboard platform endure?

• Haha
Good lord. That most to be awesome. I will probably try with a single E07 or a Emisar D4V2 with a 18350 tube?

Also checking this thrower SBT90.2 with Vince from Skylumen. Checking the weight now.

Reactions: IFlied
Also checking this thrower SBT90.2 with Vince from Skylumen. Checking the weight now.

I'm going to have to look into these lights you have mentioned. I just hope they can tolerate the heat they produce without dropping light output too fast. I hate those temerature regulated lights. They always drop lumen output to cool down.

This might be why there are so many reports of UFO's at night. :) Sure wouldn't want someone shining that light around my house. In the country would be okay, but not in a neighborhood.

Doesn't look like your doing anything against regulations. Neat setup but I'd be worried about my nice flashlight falling off.
That's why you should buy extras.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne