DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Adelaide

Hi all,
Bit late to the thread but I'm also in Adelaide. Had the Mavic (1st craft) for a couple of months now, but only have about 4 flights up my sleeve due to the crap weather here of late. Hopefully I am heading out Port Wakefield way this weekend to film all the canola fields that are in full bloom. Also intend on heading to the Barossa to film the beautiful towns and country side out there sometime soon. So much to learn with this thing and still a bit nervous when she's up in the air. Loving it though!! Cheers.

Do share your canola field footage when you get around it. Also are you using the Can I Fly There app? There's a helicopter landing site around Port Wakefield area and drone flight height is restricted below 45 metres.

The map that you have shown is correct. Dept of Environment have promoted an app called "Avenza Maps" which provides tracking via your phone of where you are in the sa National Parks. So a lot of the path that runs along the front is not in the park. Having said that I guess technically you could fly from those parts of the park provided you didn't fly back over the park but beware there are some park volunteers who are very possessive of their park - grrrrr!!! I used to love flying there up until late last year - now I just avoid the area to keep the peace.

I know Avenza, did have it until mot recent upgrade, I just didn't use it much.
I walk the Hallett Cove CP often, with a few bushwalking mates we usually meet at Seacliff Yacht Club, walk to HC Beach and back, a good 3 hr work out with plenty of stairs !!!

When we started waling this for training for trips many years ago, you used to see very few people.
Now though, Sat or Sun mornings you might pass or overtake up to a hundred people or so.

Ok, that aside, if flying out from he path and filming the ocean shoreline, interesting rocky beach, and the awesome cliff geography, it should be no issues as such.
There are PLENTY of nice launching places off the boardwalk, some little side parts to the boardwalk where the exercise prone walkers go by, should be easy enough to fly here without upsetting anyone.

I know I have seen recent video shot by drones through here, and thought they were illegal, but maybe not.
For sure I'd take a copy of that section of the park from Google maps and have on hand in case an over zealous official or member of the public comes along, though I've never seen a ranger anytime, they would be roving parks rangers if ever at all.

Pity about all the wind lately !

Reactions: ghostoperative
I know Avenza, did have it until mot recent upgrade, I just didn't use it much.
I walk the Hallett Cove CP often, with a few bushwalking mates we usually meet at Seacliff Yacht Club, walk to HC Beach and back, a good 3 hr work out with plenty of stairs !!!

When we started waling this for training for trips many years ago, you used to see very few people.
Now though, Sat or Sun mornings you might pass or overtake up to a hundred people or so.

Ok, that aside, if flying out from he path and filming the ocean shoreline, interesting rocky beach, and the awesome cliff geography, it should be no issues as such.
There are PLENTY of nice launching places off the boardwalk, some little side parts to the boardwalk where the exercise prone walkers go by, should be easy enough to fly here without upsetting anyone.

I know I have seen recent video shot by drones through here, and thought they were illegal, but maybe not.
For sure I'd take a copy of that section of the park from Google maps and have on hand in case an over zealous official or member of the public comes along, though I've never seen a ranger anytime, they would be roving parks rangers if ever at all.

Pity about all the wind lately !

This exactly what I was hoping for. I just want to film the shoreline and the rocky features. And testing out the hand selfie gestures while standing on the sand area.

Also are you using the Can I Fly There app? There's a helicopter landing site around Port Wakefield area and drone flight height is restricted below 45 metres.

The CASA site now recommends the app for i devices and Android called Drone Complier, free to get.
It's good, very thorough, you can even toggle National Parks to show the border of these on the map.
Needs data coverage though, or check at home before leaving by simply clicking on your intended fly zones.

The DJI app shows bugger all, not even major airport approaches, just the main circular zone, no heli zones etc.

This exactly what I was hoping for. I just want to film the shoreline and the rocky features. And testing out the hand selfie gestures while standing on the sand area.

Yep, looks like Hallett Cove Beach itself is fine . . . those cliffs are awesome in features, be good to get some close ups, but watch for geo interference or out of line of sight loss of controller signal.

I do all my testing in a nice quiet park area mid week when I have loads of room and no people around, safer than the beach.
A lot of features and settings to get to know.

The CASA site now recommends the app for i devices and Android called Drone Complier, free to get.
It's good, very thorough, you can even toggle National Parks to show the border of these on the map.
Needs data coverage though, or check at home before leaving by simply clicking on your intended fly zones.

The DJI app shows bugger all, not even major airport approaches, just the main circular zone, no heli zones etc.

Just installed the app. This one looks more up to date than "Can I Fly There". Pro tip of the day. Thanks!

Alright guys I've received an email back from the Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources (DEWNR). And they said that as long as you fly outside the Hallett Cove Park boundaries it's okay to fly without a permit (non-commercial). And the boundary photo they sent me matches the one that is shown in the Drone Complier app. Happy flying!

Great ! The tracks duck in and out of the park a little, but I know the nice launch sites / seating areas you could use are on the paths outside that zone.
Looks like a mid week fly down there next week will be on the cards if the weather quietens down.

BTW, on recent weather . . . have you blokes (and ladies ?) found this weather site ?
Venture Sky (wind)

Besides temps, rain, cloud, and a huge other list of weather, there is a current wind and variable date / time forecast too, 10m agl, and then higher, 500m being the next level.
You need to be on the right zoom level for the coloured scale to show, as above, think if you zoom in you lose that detail.

Haven't had much of a chance to test how accurate, but seems ok for current rain to Adelaide radars etc, and right now the temp and rain coming through is accurate.

Alright guys I've received an email back from the Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources (DEWNR). And they said that as long as you fly outside the Hallett Cove Park boundaries it's okay to fly without a permit (non-commercial). And the boundary photo they sent me matches the one that is shown in the Drone Complier app. Happy flying!

Thanks heaps for that.

I live on a farm in the Hills so can fly around here pretty easily. Looking fwd to summer to do some vineyard shots at a friend's farm. I wouldn't be comfortable flying over farmland though, if you spook animals you could cause quite a lot of damage (speaking from experience of spooking my own, although I have used the drone to help move livestock too) I suspect the drone laws will only get tighter, especially in SA where adding a new fine is the State's #1 skill.

The next biggest problem here in the Hills are the birds, pretty much every flight I get some sort of attack (plovers, maggies, cockatoos, all of them). I was thinking of putting a cat's face on the battery, anything think that will work? Anyone got any tips for evading the birds?

Welcome to the forum, loads of good info here, and as you see many SA Mavic owners.
Birds. I think from various posts the eyes and Kittyhawk ‘teeth’ might help, but a good raise rise in altitude supposedly makes the Mavic look like a predator to most birds.
Maybe except large hawks or eagles !!

Hi everyone, I am new here. I, like everyone, am looking to find places to freely fly without breaking the law.
Good to see a community that is sharing and helping.

Hi all,
New here too, just curious as to where everyone is doing their flying in the metropolitan area. Found that the only place where you won't get slapped with a fine is Victoria park (park 16)
Was flying in seacliff the other day and just wasn't comfortable doing it.....kinda have a feeling someone's either gonna complain or someone from the council will jump out behind a bush and fine me.

I have not been on here in a while but its great to see the Adelaide / South Australian chat continuing!

I have recently been out chasing the train which operates between Mount Barker & Victor harbour. I have a mate who loves it. He drives and films it and I provide the aerial shots for his videos. It's pretty quiet out in the hills / Strathalbyn way. No pesky locals who will complain. I just make sure I'm well away from the train in case I lose a motor and my Mavic tumbled down. I'm pretty sure the train doesn't operate during the summer months though in case it starts a fire.

Park 16 / Victoria Park is a classic but yeah it does gets boring in terms of footage / views. Its a great spot to flick sports mode on and give it full forward stick 60cm off the ground. Nice undulating grassy flats. Keeps the heart racing!

Hi everyone, I am new here. I, like everyone, am looking to find places to freely fly without breaking the law.
Good to see a community that is sharing and helping.

Mate, looks like people missed your post here, I know I'd general say welcome to new Adelaide members. So, welcome !
Se below for flying.

Hi all,
New here too, just curious as to where everyone is doing their flying in the metropolitan area. Found that the only place where you won't get slapped with a fine is Victoria park (park 16)
Was flying in seacliff the other day and just wasn't comfortable doing it.....kinda have a feeling someone's either gonna complain or someone from the council will jump out behind a bush and fine me.

Welcome too Dylan.

The updated CIFT (Can I Fly There ?) app is bloody good now :)
Download it and use it, it's free and very easy to log on from any location (home) put finger on a region you'd like to fly, and after a sec or two, the little drone appears and loads the local NFZs no fly zones), and any restrictions where you'd like to fly.

Victoria Pk and metro . . . the app shows a lot of ADL airport NFZ in the western half, a few heli NFZs in the NE area, but quite a few places you can fly.

Seacliff . . . Mate, I know exactly what you're saying about feeling uncomfortable.
You like feel people will be put out by you flying your noisy machine anywhere around them, invading their privacy, etc.
It's something you have to overcome.
I feel like this anywhere there are people around, and you just have to be sensible, follow CASA rules for flying (around people / buildings, etc), and get on with it.
Eg. I wouldn't fly near in front of the Seacliff pub if the beach / footpath on a week end day or late arvo if was full of people on the sand sunbathing, or in the sea swimming . . . instead, plan your flight early morning for better light and not many around.
Mostly when you fly sensibly, people are still curious, and some (kids esp) come up for a look / talk . . . you have to handle that right, maybe pause flight safely while you tell them about the drone etc.

Right now it'so ok to fly at Seacliff, though a little east there is a large NFZ due to a grass fire at Bellevue Heights, these emeg NFZs show up on the app too.

If any of you are ever up for a meet up, try a fly with a bird or 3 aloft, sing out.
I'm southern hills area near Happy Valley, and love flying beaches or anywhere interesting footage is available . . . heck even just flying the thing is ok :)

I think I've posted this before but if you want an open area to fly go to the western end of Sigma Rd Lonsdale (dead end) and there is plenty of opportunity to fly over the cliffs. I probably wouldn't encourage flying over the Desalination Plant though.

I think I've posted this before but if you want an open area to fly go to the western end of Sigma Rd Lonsdale (dead end) and there is plenty of opportunity to fly over the cliffs. I probably wouldn't encourage flying over the Desalination Plant though.

Cheers, might have a look sometime.
I fly Hallett Cove beach sometimes, you can certainly even fly in the clifftops along in front of Hallett Cove CP, as the boundary for the park is behind the cliff top walking track for much of it.

what do you guys do with the footage you shoot?

Until I get into editing more, it gets put onto a 4tb external hard drive, files are massive for even short shoots, that is in 2.7k.
Photos are shot in jpg and raw.
I just keep folders for each month.
Really only just starting shooting more, have been concentrating on flying it more, learning as much as possible about the features and safe aspects of getting it back each flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada