DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Adelaide

Height is obviously 400 ft..
The rules
  • You must not fly your drone higher than 120 metres (400 ft) above the ground.
  • You must not fly your drone over or near an area affecting public safety or where emergency operations are underway (without prior approval). This could include situations such as a car crash, police operations, a fire and associated firefighting efforts, and search and rescue operations.
  • You must not fly your drone within 30 metres of people, unless the other person is part of controlling or navigating the drone.
  • You must fly only one drone at a time.
  • If your drone weighs more than 100 grams:
    • You must keep your drone at least 5.5km away from controlled aerodromes (usually those with a control tower)
    • You may fly within 5.5km of a non-controlled aerodrome or helicopter landing site (HLS) only if manned aircraft are not operating to or from the aerodrome. If you become aware of manned aircraft operating to or from the aerodrome/ HLS, you must manoeuvre away from the aircraft and land as soon as safely possible. This includes:
      • not operating your drone within the airfield boundary (*without approval)
      • not operating your drone in the approach and departure paths of the aerodrome (*without approval)
  • You must only fly during the day and keep your drone within visual line-of sight.
    • This means being able to orientate, navigate and see the aircraft with your own eyes at all times (rather than through a device; for example, through goggles or on a video screen).
  • You must not fly over or above people. This could include festivals, sporting ovals, populated beaches, parks, busy roads and footpaths.
  • You must not operate your drone in a way that creates a hazard to another aircraft, person, or property
  • You must not operate your drone in prohibited or restricted areas.
* Approval is generally linked to an approved model flying association and its members

Please respect personal privacy. Don’t record or photograph people without their consent—this may breach state laws.

Important: tips for flying within the law
  • There might be local council and/or national park laws prohibiting drone flights in certain areas.
  • Research the area you plan to fly and contact your council or national park if you're unsure.
  • Don't operate near emergency services aircraft – if you fly, they can't.

I’m from Adelaide and ordered a M2Z a few days after they were released. It was delivered a week later but I am still working in Vietnam. Very frustrating to know the drone is at home still in its box and I’m stuck here.

Looking forward to Thursday morning when I arrive back in Adelaide. I’m planning to take the drone down to our holiday home at Encounter Bay and get some footage along the beaches and the islands. I’m interested to see how the Mavic 2 will handle active track on a couple of cocker spaniels on the beach. You may not know this but Cockers seem to be unable to walk in straight line (they were bred to flush out birds for shooting) so the results could be ‘interesting’.

I always got a kick out of seeing Truro in SA, I have family living nearby the "other" one in Cornwall. I guess a high % of our Aussie town names are from the UK. Except for Nuri of course... :) that's got to be 100% aussie.

Is there any app other than 'can i fly there?' that includes information of national parks and reserve boundries for South Australia?

Is there any app other than 'can i fly there?' that includes information of national parks and reserve boundries for South Australia?
AirMap will show you park boundaries. Just be careful as the controlled airspace etc it shows in Australia are often incorrect.

Reactions: mb20
I always got a kick out of seeing Truro in SA, I have family living nearby the "other" one in Cornwall. I guess a high % of our Aussie town names are from the UK. Except for Nuri of course... :) that's got to be 100% aussie.

My first love was a nurse at Truro hospital (Cornwall)! Thanks for the memory jogger....

Anyone up for a meetup this weekend? Grapevines are good at the moment. Heading up to Little Para Reservoir area a bit later - last night was good but too late when I drove past.

My new M2Z is burning a hole in the case trying to bust out....

An interesting topic:
Twenty Eight of the Fifty Drone Photography of the Year Winning Photos Would be Illegal Under Australian Regulations - Andy Hutchinson

Twenty Eight of the Fifty Drone Photography of the Year Winning Photos Would be Illegal Under Australian Regulations

And that’s not all, since drones are banned from taking off on council land in many locations (Ballarat, Leichhardt, Waverly, Port Adelaide Enfield, Onkaparinga, Holdfast Bay and West Torrens being just a couple of examples) in Australia, most of the urban shots would not be legally possible in Australia.

An interesting topic:
Twenty Eight of the Fifty Drone Photography of the Year Winning Photos Would be Illegal Under Australian Regulations - Andy Hutchinson

Twenty Eight of the Fifty Drone Photography of the Year Winning Photos Would be Illegal Under Australian Regulations

And that’s not all, since drones are banned from taking off on council land in many locations (Ballarat, Leichhardt, Waverly, Port Adelaide Enfield, Onkaparinga, Holdfast Bay and West Torrens being just a couple of examples) in Australia, most of the urban shots would not be legally possible in Australia.
It shows what can be done in the right legal framework. I see so many opportunities around in South Australia but, unfortunately, many are not currently legally possible.

Reactions: mb20
It shows what can be done in the right legal framework. I see so many opportunities around in South Australia but, unfortunately, many are not currently legally possible.

Well I understand safety and privacy are important. I really wish some rules get relaxed.

It will also be good if there is more information on what one can do legally. CASA app is really good but it is difficult to find information on council rules, boundaries, and boundries of national parks, reserves.
I did find another app 'Airmap' that includes phone number of some airports (eg Parafield Airport) and boundries of some parks too. But does not include all so not very dependable.

An interesting topic:

Just been reading up on the legalities of flying in my area, I went for a fly the other day in the dunes of a beach near Outer Harbour, I am a little confused after reading this whether or not I can?

A person must not without the permission of the Council, do any of the following on Local Government land or as otherwise indicated:

9.28.1 fly or operate a model or drone aircraft, boat or model or remote control car in a manner which may cause or be likely to cause injury or discomfort to a person being on or in the vicinity of the land, or detract from or be likely to detract from another person’s lawful use of and enjoyment of the land; or 9.28.2 fly or operate a model or drone aircraft, boat or model or remote control car on any local government land to which the Council has resolved this sub-clause applies.

Has anyone else noticed that the Adelaide drone flying area just south of the city is just within the CASA no fly area due to the airport?

Shhh. Don’t tell anyone else. [emoji6]

I only know of that little area of Victoria Pk (east) that council has ok’d for drones, have never flown there, not much for entertainment value.

Are you saying parts of Pelzer Pk (or further west) are also open for drone (and possibly other model) flyers ?

Not sure where that is, but apparently the council web site states these areas around the city are ok for flying with a few restrictions including just south of the velodrome track. One of these restrictions appears to be that drones must not have cameras! So that pretty much wipes out 99% of drones on the market!

Hi All, new on here...Southern suburbs area....

I was doing some research, I know national parks are a big no-no, but what about regional parks?

Anyone been around Port Gawler? Looks good for a fly - seems to be a conservation area/park but couldn’t find much on it online.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent