DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice Please

tom29928

Reactions
I live few hundred yards inside the class D airspace of HXD (Hilton Head, SC).

I got a Small UAS Certificate of Registration in Dec 2015, expires Dec 2020.

I got a Mavic Air in Feb 2019, got a Small UAS Certificate of Registration for it and marked it on the drone.

I got a Mavic Air 2 in Aug 2020, got a Small UAS Certificate of Registration for it and marked it on the drone.

I got a temporary Small UAS Remote Pilot Certificate on Sept 1, 2020.

I am currently flying both drones just recreationally, near my home, mainly to develop my skills. HXD is not yet in LAANC, so I manually applied for and quickly received an FAA Airspace Authorization (as a Recreational Flyer) for 30 days starting Aug 23.

A few days later, I got an automated reminder that my Authorization would expire soon and invited me to renew it. I renewed it for another 30 days starting Sept 23, with no problems.

When I go to DroneZone now, it wants me to renew my (recreational) Certificate.

Three questions, and anything else that I may be missing:

>> I am flying the drones marked with their individual numbers, not my recreational certificate number. Okay?

>> Do I need to renew the recreational certificate, now that I have a Remote Pilot Certificate?

>> Should I be getting my future Authorizations under part 107?

Thanks to all!

I live few hundred yards inside the class D airspace of HXD (Hilton Head, SC).

I got a Small UAS Certificate of Registration in Dec 2015, expires Dec 2020.

I got a Mavic Air in Feb 2019, got a Small UAS Certificate of Registration for it and marked it on the drone.

I got a Mavic Air 2 in Aug 2020, got a Small UAS Certificate of Registration for it and marked it on the drone.

I got a temporary Small UAS Remote Pilot Certificate on Sept 1, 2020.

I am currently flying both drones just recreationally, near my home, mainly to develop my skills. HXD is not yet in LAANC, so I manually applied for and quickly received an FAA Airspace Authorization (as a Recreational Flyer) for 30 days starting Aug 23.

A few days later, I got an automated reminder that my Authorization would expire soon and invited me to renew it. I renewed it for another 30 days starting Sept 23, with no problems.

When I go to DroneZone now, it wants me to renew my (recreational) Certificate.

Three questions, and anything else that I may be missing:

>> I am flying the drones marked with their individual numbers, not my recreational certificate number. Okay?

>> Do I need to renew the recreational certificate, now that I have a Remote Pilot Certificate?

>> Should I be getting my future Authorizations under part 107?

Thanks to all!
You might as well. You can get authorization for longer periods of time now that you are certified as well.

Reactions: theDRONEranger
No need to renew the recreational registration, just keep their own individual registration numbers visibly affixed.

My question would be that if you had a recreational registration for your drone, would you need to change it to a commercial registration number once you got your Part 107? All of my drones (even the first one from before I had my Part 107) have been individually registered. Don't ask me how I ended up doing this the first time for my cheap Syma, I thought I was just registering it as recreational but it shows in my dashboard as Part 107...???

My question would be that if you had a recreational registration for your drone, would you need to change it to a commercial registration number once you got your Part 107? All of my drones (even the first one from before I had my Part 107) have been individually registered. Don't ask me how I ended up doing this the first time for my cheap Syma, I thought I was just registering it as recreational but it shows in my dashboard as Part 107...???
If you registered them individually under part 107 then you are good.

Had you registered under the recreational exception then you would need to register all the aircraft you would like to fly under part 107 rules with a part 107 registration but sounds like maybe you did that already.

Drones registered under part 107 can be flown under recreational rules or part 107 rules. A recreational registration can only fly under recreational rules. The only reason everybody wouldn’t just register under part 107 is because each aircraft has to be registered individually with separate fees. A recreational registration is actually for the pilot not the drone so the pilot can use the same registration number for all their aircraft.

Last edited:
Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
If you registered them individually under part 107 then you are good.

Had you registered under the recreational exception then you would need to register all the aircraft you would like to fly under part 107 rules with a part 107 registration but sounds like maybe you did that already.

Drones registered under part 107 can be flown under recreational rules or part 107 rules. A recreational registration can only fly under recreational rules. The only reason everybody wouldn’t just register under part 107 is because each aircraft has to be registered individually with separate fees. A recreational registration is actually for the pilot not the drone so the pilot can use the same registration number for all their aircraft.
Yeah, I was just wondering IF you had it registered recreationally then got your Part 107 later would you have to go back and register that one individually even if you didn't use it for commercial use (because let's be honest, NOBODY'S going to use a Syma for commercial use) ? Or if you had it registered recreationally, I would assume you would have to re-register that aircraft as a part 107 before the recreational registration ran out if you were going to use it for any Part 107 flight.

Yeah, I was just wondering IF you had it registered recreationally then got your Part 107 later would you have to go back and register that one individually even if you didn't use it for commercial use
No. You do not need to register under part 107 if you never intend to use it for part 107 operations.

If you don’t register it under part 107 it then needs to be registered as recreational (unless under .55 lbs.)

if you had it registered recreationally, I would assume you would have to re-register that aircraft as a part 107 before the recreational registration ran out if you were going to use it for any Part 107 flight.
You’d have to register it under part 107 before using it for part 107 operations full stop. Wether or not it is registered as recreational doesn’t matter.

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan