DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Illuminata Photo

Premium Pilot
Reactions
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Several weeks ago, I asked some questions on the forums regarding how high I might be able to fly as a 107 certificated pilot; I basically received the responses that I expected.

A week ago, I took my drone to the west side of town and flew to just above a 1200' broadcasting tower. There was a substantial wind so I flew downwind just in case. The result was fun and pleasant. One of my bigger issues was maintaining VLOS because I was looking up towards the sun! My main goal was to see how much the drone's battery might be drained from a higher than normal flight, as well as to have a sense of how well the drone responded in a slightly windier situation. I've flown in stronger winds before with few issues.

Enjoy!

Nice video! How would this be considered a flight under Part 107? It's just a 360° of the area. Were you hired by the city? Just curious.

Reactions: sarahb
Reactions: 4006448
Means recreational and therefore is not a Part 107 flight. With that said, the flight altitude would be considered illegal.
I understand due to the Op stating the flight was for fun that makes it a recreational flight. If the Op stated it was practice for his business which requires Part 107 license, would that make a difference as to max ceiling height? Just curious.

I understand due to the Op stating the flight was for fun that makes it a recreational flight. If the Op stated it was practice for his business which requires Part 107 license, would that make a difference as to max ceiling height? Just curious.
Correct. If the flight were for practice, like for examining the "broadcasting tower" then yes, it would be considered a flight under Part 107 rules.

Reactions: 4006448
I’m a professional photographer who monetizes my aerial photos & videos, so it’s a 107 flight.
Well, that's NOT what you said. "Well, ****, then I've been flying illegally for years, having fun with my drones and my gyrocopter..."

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dugan