DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3? Finally?

Unless DJI wants to get rid of the Mavic 3 Classic, a future Air 3 will NOT have a set of features that overlap the Classic at a lower price. That makes no sense. IMHO an Air 3 will have a camera similar to what it has now (1" sensor) without the Hasselblad tag. They may add a zoom camera but I doubt it as it would potentially be seen as a leg up over the Classic. Seriously, the best we could hope for in an Air 3 (if in fact it happens) is O3+ support consistent with all other "3s" and maybe omnidirectional obstacle sensing.

Reactions: 3rdof5 and loop
Unless DJI wants to get rid of the Mavic 3 Classic, a future Air 3 will NOT have a set of features that overlap the Classic at a lower price. That makes no sense. IMHO an Air 3 will have a camera similar to what it has now (1" sensor) without the Hasselblad tag. They may add a zoom camera but I doubt it as it would potentially be seen as a leg up over the Classic. Seriously, the best we could hope for in an Air 3 (if in fact it happens) is O3+ support consistent with all other "3s" and maybe omnidirectional obstacle sensing.
I think they almost have to add a second zoom camera,with the main camera still a 1" sensor,and the second camera
a 3x 1/1.3 sensor or a 7x 1/2 sensor.No sense at all in having the Air 3 with just another single 1" sensor as I think they
have gotten all they can out of that size meaning the 1"camera sensor.And yes it will be Hasselblad.
In effect a large mini 3 pro shell design for the drone body.
With an original mavic 3 camera type module.

I think they almost have to add a second zoom camera,with the main camera still a 1" sensor,and the second camera
a 3x 1/1.3 sensor or a 7x 1/2 sensor.No sense at all in having the Air 3 with just another single 1" sensor as I think they
have gotten all they can out of that size meaning the 1"camera sensor.And yes it will be Hasselblad.
You could very well be right about the camera not being a Hasselblad as the added cost for one could have issues
with sales of the mavic 3 classic as the price points could be too close together.

My prediction: Still 1" sensor, but updated with higher resolution, lower noise, dual native ISO. Basically the Mini3P sensor technology @ 1", and maybe an 80MP mode. Add digital zoom. Second, add 360 OA and O3+. Longer flight time by 5-10min.

That's it. Can live in between the Mini and Mavic series. Doesn't eliminate the justification for the M3 Classic. Bigger sensor and variable aperture still make the price difference worth it for professionals, especially photographers.

I understand but if you look at their consumer drone lineup and cost/feature positioning it makes no sense to push the Air 3 to overlap the Mavic line (Mavic 3 classic). One or the other has to go in that case. My bet is on the Air 3 to more or less replace the Air 2s with only slight (physical) improvements, but newer electronics, O3+ and image processing. That way I can fit into the price range between the Mini line and the Mavic line and support the Goggles 2, motion controller etc. On the other hand there is also a possibility that the Air series is going end-of-life simply due to local and international drone restrictions and requirements (think about weight).

I can see everyone's arguments about how DJI will not step on the Classic's toes with a superior Air 3 but I do still believe the market will always exist for a more mid sized aircraft. The mini's have proven to be quite capable flyers, and of course the entire Mavic3 line are powerful, large birds, but not every one wants a bird that large (or small). A capable Air3, and possibly an Air3 pro, with simliar camera features to Mavic 3 pro, would give options (particularly in the UK, where the Mavic 3 pro is too heavy) to pilots who just want a midsize aircraft. Time will tell...

Reactions: Duke_Mulligan
I understand but if you look at their consumer drone lineup and cost/feature positioning it makes no sense to push the Air 3 to overlap the Mavic line (Mavic 3 classic). One or the other has to go in that case. My bet is on the Air 3 to more or less replace the Air 2s with only slight (physical) improvements, but newer electronics, O3+ and image processing. That way I can fit into the price range between the Mini line and the Mavic line and support the Goggles 2, motion controller etc. On the other hand there is also a possibility that the Air series is going end-of-life simply due to local and international drone restrictions and requirements (think about weight).
What you are saying makes sense,but to have a 2s replacement with another single camera 1" sensor
makes no sense.Even if the Air 3 has a two camera system as latest rumors suggest it will still be able
to exist along with the mavic 3 classic,as the classic still has a larger sensor.i still think their will be a major
design change as they have had the same basic shell design on the air 2 and also 2s.

What you are saying makes sense,but to have a 2s replacement with another single camera 1" sensor
makes no sense.Even if the Air 3 has a two camera system as latest rumors suggest it will still be able
to exist along with the mavic 3 classic,as the classic still has a larger sensor.i still think their will be a major
design change as they have had the same basic shell design on the air 2 and also 2s.
Yes and like I have already mentioned, the biggest selling feature IMO will be longer battery life over the air 2 series and that means a significant design change to accommodate a new battery. The only way to increase flight time AND keep battery compatibility with the air 2 would be to allow dual batteries and I don't see DJI doing that.
So it would have to have a similar size and design but with a new higher capacity battery and IMO the ability to use FPV and Goggles and RC Motion 2.
That would be a perfect fit for a midsize aircraft.

Yes and like I have already mentioned, the biggest selling feature IMO will be longer battery life over the air 2 series and that means a significant design change to accommodate a new battery. The only way to increase flight time AND keep battery compatibility with the air 2 would be to allow dual batteries and I don't see DJI doing that.
So it would have to have a similar size and design but with a new higher capacity battery and IMO the ability to use FPV and Goggles and RC Motion 2.
That would be a perfect fit for a midsize aircraft.
I am afraid the Air 3 will have a totally differently designed battery,that will not make them compatible with the air 2 and 2s.
After the air 2 which I have,and the 2s,no one wants the third version to look like the other two versions.They have to give the Air 3
a complete design change,some of which would be for a new battery design to hopefully increase the crappy run time on the current
batteries.

Reactions: 3rdof5
It's going to need some new features that distinguish it above the Mini 3 Pro or it simply won't sell.
Like BETTER FLIGHT TIME. I hardly ever fly my Air 2s because of it's pathetic flight time. DJI's 30 minute flight time number might mean 16 real world minutes before you have to bring her back, QUICK. Flying the Mavic 3 and never worrying about air time=priceless.

Reactions: costica1234
Like BETTER FLIGHT TIME. I hardly ever fly my Air 2s because of it's pathetic flight time. DJI's 30 minute flight time number might mean 16 real world minutes before you have to bring her back, QUICK. Flying the Mavic 3 and never worrying about air time=priceless.
Hope its not just a 30 minute flight time,that would be a gigantic mistake for this release.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer