DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air in a Can

Rchawks

Reactions
After getting a good look at the larger drones in person the motor prop design is covered well. Not so with the mini which caused me to wonder about using air in a can for blowing out any dust or particles that might collect there. Subject I haven't noticed here. Is it a bad idea and why?

Reactions: old man mavic
After getting a good look at the larger drones in person the motor prop design is covered well. Not so with the mini which caused me to wonder about using air in a can for blowing out any dust or particles that might collect there. Subject I haven't noticed here. Is it a bad idea and why?
some canned air can be a bit powerful,so be careful how close you use it a better idea is a puffer like the ones used to blow debris from computers and other electronic components

I have one of those for camera lenses, forgot all about it. Thank you.
it all depends on where you fly, how often you should blow them out, just make it part of your airframe checks before a flying session

Reactions: Thomas B
Blowing the dirt out with a puffer or canned air is better than nothing, though may accomplish next to nothing . . .

The outer rotating case of the motor is lined with strong neodymium (rare earth) magnets. If you've ever put a magnet in sand, you'll be familiar with the black iron filings that cling to it. If you get this stuff in the motor, a puff of air will not clean it out. A strong blast of compressed air may not either, as there's no good straight path in and out of the motor without disassembly, doable, but not recommended without a small puller. (I took one apart and the bearing to shaft fit is almost an interference fit.

Best avoid the problem by using a pad for take off and landing if operating off dirt or sand.

Blowing the dirt out with a puffer or canned air is better than nothing, though may accomplish next to nothing . . .

The outer rotating case of the motor is lined with strong neodymium (rare earth) magnets. If you've ever put a magnet in sand, you'll be familiar with the black iron filings that cling to it. If you get this stuff in the motor, a puff of air will not clean it out. A strong blast of compressed air may not either, as there's no good straight path in and out of the motor without disassembly, doable, but not recommended without a small puller. (I took one apart and the bearing to shaft fit is almost an interference fit.

Best avoid the problem by using a pad for take off and landing if operating off dirt or sand.
Good advice.... the grit from a sand landing or take-off is enough for me to use a landing pad frequently.

you are correct keeping the dirt from entering in the first place is always better,i always use a pad

Which brings me to the next question, Does it matter what type of pad you use. I've only seen two types advertised or used, I read where the color pattern can make a difference on the sensors. I also noticed there are round and square models. Will the sensors lock in better on a round target?

Last edited:
I don't think it's critical. I do know that the stick on reflectors, that come with some pads, don't seem to make a lot of difference, (and they don't stay stuck on very well).

With the M2 P, if there's enough light and you take off straight up to or above 7 meters before heading off, precision landing is automatically activated. This assumes there is enough discrete surface detail for the downward facing camera to recognize on return. . . pretty much any landing pad that has a contrasting color to it's surroundings should do. The one I got in the fly more kit is blue on one side and orange on the other. Drone lands within a few inches of center during RTH. If flying off my concrete driveway, and I take off from the intersection of the concrete parting or section lines, it'll precision land on that too.

Another option, if you don't have the pad with you, is to hand launch (I haven't tried that) and hand catch on landing (I've practiced that a number of times). There are YouTube videos on it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi