DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aircraft Yaw CW - Neutral Controller

Mine has been doing that for several months now. About 12 degrees to the right and 6 or so when it magically yaws to the left.

I have just noticed mine has started doing it today. Just a slight right yaw. I can self correct it and it will stay straight but seems to come and go

The yaw behavior looks fine until around 400 seconds, after which there does appear to be an offset in the rudder stick input, which leads to a steady CW rotation:

View attachment 77386

Since it starts mid-way through the flight it seems unlikely to be a stick calibration issue or a magnetic connector. It's very steady, which rather rules out an external magnetic field. I'd suspect a faulty (sticky?) stick module.
If Im understanding this graph - it appears to do TWO full rotations between 400 and 480 seconds - that means 720 degrees per 80 seconds - that's almost 10degrees per second - That's Significant!

… so besides magnets, there could be some ElectroMagnetic RF near where he controller was - Its a Big deal to know that the RC sticks could be affected by strong enough Magnetism.

I also like your Sticky Sticks - idea - and also if Magnets were to blame maybe a change occurred in a Hall field at 480 secs-

If Im understanding this graph - it appears to do TWO full rotations between 400 and 480 seconds - that means 720 degrees per 80 seconds - that's almost 10degrees per second - That's Significant!

… so besides magnets, there could be some ElectroMagnetic RF near where he controller was - Its a Big deal to know that the RC sticks could be affected by strong enough Magnetism.

I also like your Sticky Sticks - idea - and also if Magnets were to blame maybe a change occurred in a Hall field at 480 secs-

Yes - it's turning at a significant rate because it's seeing a significant rudder input. Note that spurious input is steady but a bit noisy. I'm not sure quite what to make of that.

Yes - it's turning at a significant rate because it's seeing a significant rudder input. Note that spurious input is steady but a bit noisy. I'm not sure quite what to make of that.

It’s weird, because when I did my YouTube test, that was a minute and a half video, one complete revolution. So that’s less than 360° per minute, right?

I wonder if the high-speed rotation was me trying to manually rotate the aircraft to “shake out the bugs.” I know, superstitious. Are you two talking about the 90 second “hands off” test I did, or another period of time?

It’s weird, because when I did my YouTube test, that was a minute and a half video, one complete revolution. So that’s less than 360° per minute, right?

I wonder if the high-speed rotation was me trying to manually rotate the aircraft to “shake out the bugs.” I know, superstitious. Are you two talking about the 90 second “hands off” test I did, or another period of time?

The rotation at the end, during the apparently spurious rudder input, was 360° in 80 seconds, or 4°/s.

The rotation at the end, during the apparently spurious rudder input, was 360° in 80 seconds, or 4°/s.

View attachment 77444
The Graph shows -180deg to Plus 180 (ie total of 360deg rotation . (in One full oblique run)
SO im calculating two full obliques which is 360deg x 2 = 720

… so it would be TWO of those runs (as seen) 720deg in the 180 seconds...
- which is about 4 deg/s ? (Yeah that's about right)

Last edited:
The Graph shows -180deg to Plus 180 (ie total of 360deg rotation . (in One full oblique run)
SO im calculating two full obliques which is 360deg x 2 = 720
… or am I reading that wrong ?

Yes - there were two full rotations in that period - 720° in 163 seconds, which is just over 4°/s. I was simply quoting the time per rotation above - not suggesting that it only completed one rotation.

Okay, so, this happens fairly regularly. Today, it was a full revolution in 2 1/2 minutes, right at the end of the flight:

Hands completely off the sticks, sticks in what appeared to be a spring-loaded neutral position.

Like sar104 says -
Maybe 'Sticky Sticks'-

or... a Decent Calibration process may be required -

Try Calibrating the Joystick with the Aircraft disconnected - in the same area you normally fly...
Then therafter try reproduce the the film above -

Many things may contribute to the Yaw - … and Most often it comes from the RC - (possibly some RF - or other electromagnetic interference) - or even (as seen) Magnets used in the connection Port of the Phone close to the left stick...

Tell me your results... would be interesting

Like sar104 says -
Maybe 'Sticky Sticks'-

or... a Decent Calibration process may be required -

Try Calibrating the Joystick with the Aircraft disconnected - in the same area you normally fly...
Then therafter try reproduce the the film above -

Many things may contribute to the Yaw - … and Most often it comes from the RC - (possibly some RF - or other electromagnetic interference) - or even (as seen) Magnets used in the connection Port of the Phone close to the left stick...

Tell me your results... would be interesting

Not sure I’m using magnets? I have a friction-based phone mount that keeps the phone 4-5” above and 1” behind the RC. That’s pretty far away.

I will try re-calibrating the RC, making sure the AC is not powered on.

I’ve tried compass and IMU recalibration multiple times in multiple areas, to no avail.

The yaw you see is intermittent and the speed is variable from instance to instance.

Not sure I’m using magnets? I have a friction-based phone mount that keeps the phone 4-5” above and 1” behind the RC. That’s pretty far away.

I will try re-calibrating the RC, making sure the AC is not powered on.

I’ve tried compass and IMU recalibration multiple times in multiple areas, to no avail.

The yaw you see is intermittent and the speed is variable from instance to instance.
Its been shown that Magnets affect the Joysticks ...
… the action would be typical on the Left stick for any USB magnetic connection to the Left side (phone) - for the stock RC controller.

- I know because I use them - ...
… It was also figured out that if the Phone (+Magn USB) and Joystick were calibrated on Flight 1 … Then a Week Later say flight '5' may have had the Phone inserted lower or Higher - resulting in a slightly different Mag field - … (therefore disrupting the calibration)

a Magnet next to the Left Joystick produces a field strong enough to YAW or EVEN change altitude on the left stick-

So unless (Like me) Ur hooked on that idea - … and can insert ur Phone exactly in the Same Position (with the Magnet) - I would suggest a standard USB connector-

==========

If there is no Magnetic field - and the Yaw continues being intermittant, then … Possible Service to the Left stick may be a consideration - Maybe as simple as a good clean … (dirt, dust, food - LOL etc)

Let me know how it goes after recalibrating

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc