DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airmap vs. Recreation Areas

joram

Reactions
According to the airmap it is an area without restrictions, but when I call the recreation center near the point where I want to fly, they tell me that this zone isn't allowed to fly drones. These are the coordinates of the place: 39° 8′ 46.65514″ N 76° 57′ 34.54030″ W

According to the airmap it is an area without restrictions, but when I call the recreation center near the point where I want to fly, they tell me that this zone isn't allowed to fly drones. These are the coordinates of the place: 39° 8′ 46.65514″ N 76° 57′ 34.54030″ W

Look it up here: VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts

It lets you scroll the map across the US.

What recreation center? Who says you can't fly there? Some details would be nice.

the person who answered the call says that you can not fly in the center as a hobbylist, and it can only be done if you have a license and insurance, but you still need a permit because otherwise the drone can be confiscated. How true is all this? This is the number that I call 301-206-7485

Well it would seem that this is yet another case of a local authority arbitrarily (and illegally) making their own rules regarding drone flights. That airspace is clear by FAA charts. That means you are indeed allowed to fly OVER the area as far as the FAA is concerned. It is not a National Park so that restriction does not apply either.

However, since they can likely control what you can do ON their premises, it is best to just avoid any issues and not fly there. You don't need the hassle of having your equipment confiscated and/or getting a summons.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Well it would seem that this is yet another case of a local authority arbitrarily (and illegally) making their own rules regarding drone flights. That airspace is clear by FAA charts. That means you are indeed allowed to fly OVER the area as far as the FAA is concerned. It is not a National Park so that restriction does not apply either.

However, since they can likely control what you can do ON their premises, it is best to just avoid any issues and not fly there. You don't need the hassle of having your equipment confiscated and/or getting a summons.
They do control the surface, but FAA has control literally from the ground up of the airspace by federal statute. So you can fly over, but must launch and land elsewhere. Still, likely better to avoid it, unless you want to have a face to face discussion with whoever is in charge before flying.

Reactions: crlmjohnson
It sounds like a Land Use case (Which is valid). They can't control you flying OVER their land but they can control what you do while standing on their land.

Keep in mind that even if you get around the "Land Use" hurdle you could still be cited for local (and most likely false) ordinances. Is it worth the battle?

Reactions: crlmjohnson
Since the intention is to bike ride across the bridge over the river and using my dji mavic pro in "follow me" mode to get some footage of my ride. This can be considered that I am not using the property or to take flight or landing the drone, Could there be a problem?

Since the intention is to bike ride across the bridge over the river and using my dji mavic pro in "follow me" mode to get some footage of my ride. This can be considered that I am not using the property or to take flight or landing the drone, Could there be a problem?
Is the bridge and area leading up to it part of their property? If you are controlling your drone from within the park, it probably legally counts.

Also, never mind the park rules, if you’re steering a bike, it could be problematic with the FAA’s VLOS rule and where it pertains to flying a drone while driving a vehicle, and by common sense... why not get or rent a tandem and be the stoker (back seat rider)? You can look up all you want at the drone and not have to steer and watch where you are going with the bike. It will be much safer for you and your drone that way.

Last edited:
I would not do it, because of all of the hassle. I would just find somewhere else to fly.

They do control the surface, but FAA has control literally from the ground up of the airspace by federal statute. So you can fly over, but must launch and land elsewhere. Still, likely better to avoid it, unless you want to have a face to face discussion with whoever is in charge before flying.
Surely this approach will invigorate other anti drone bodies to impose their own illegal ruling. It should be directly challenged. Understand the power to prohibit take off, but drone flyers need a legal body protecting their right to fly over legal areas. Wonder if the FAA would stand up and be counted where they have made and should uphold the legal ruling?

According to the coordinates you supplied, it does appear that it is in a no-fly TFR zone...

Surely this approach will invigorate other anti drone bodies to impose their own illegal ruling. It should be directly challenged. Understand the power to prohibit take off, but drone flyers need a legal body protecting their right to fly over legal areas. Wonder if the FAA would stand up and be counted where they have made and should uphold the legal ruling?
FAA has already done so with it’s regs. The problem is state and local authorities, acting ignorantly, making invalid laws/regs that local LEO are bound to enforce. The cost of a legal challenge is beyond most individuals... maybe they know this?

Reactions: PhantomFandom
According to the above VFR sectional, the recreation area is outside the 15 mi prohibited circle but inside the 30 mile circle. The gubermint, FAA in this case, says a recreational drone pilot can fly outside the 15 mile but inside the 30 mile circle. From the FAA's NODRONEZONE
:
  • Flying a drone for recreational or non-recreational use between 15 and 30 miles from Washington, D.C. is allowed under these operating conditions:
    • Aircraft must weigh less than 55 lbs. (including any attachments such as a camera)
    • Aircraft must be registered and marked (if it is not operated exclusively under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, pending NOTAM change)
    • Fly below 400 ft.
    • Fly within visual line-of-sight
    • Fly in clear weather conditions
    • Never fly near other aircraft

• However, the Browns Bridge Recreation Area, while outside the 15 mile circle, imposes its own rules for drone operations inside the park (but not over the park.).
  • Here's MD state law re: drones in parks:
  • (B) Remote Controlled and Similar Devices. No person shall possess, operate, fly, control, or launch any model aircraft, model helicopter, model rocket, powered projectile, drone, unpersonned aerial vehicle, or similar airborne device remotely from or above Park Property, except in a manner that is consistent with all applicable State and Federal laws and regulations and
    (1) as authorized by Permit, and only if conducted in a manner that is not hazardous to Commission personnel or the general public; or (2) as authorized expressly in designated areas, subject to applicable Park Directives, and only if conducted in a manner that is not hazardous to Commission personnel or the general public.

According to the above VFR sectional, the recreation area is outside the 15 mi prohibited circle but inside the 30 mile circle. The gubermint, FAA in this case, says a recreational drone pilot can fly outside the 15 mile but inside the 30 mile circle. From the FAA's NODRONEZONE
:
  • Flying a drone for recreational or non-recreational use between 15 and 30 miles from Washington, D.C. is allowed under these operating conditions:
    • Aircraft must weigh less than 55 lbs. (including any attachments such as a camera)
    • Aircraft must be registered and marked (if it is not operated exclusively under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, pending NOTAM change)
    • Fly below 400 ft.
    • Fly within visual line-of-sight
    • Fly in clear weather conditions
    • Never fly near other aircraft

• However, the Browns Bridge Recreation Area, while outside the 15 mile circle, imposes its own rules for drone operations inside the park (but not over the park.).
  • Here's MD state law re: drones in parks:
  • (B) Remote Controlled and Similar Devices. No person shall possess, operate, fly, control, or launch any model aircraft, model helicopter, model rocket, powered projectile, drone, unpersonned aerial vehicle, or similar airborne device remotely from or above Park Property, except in a manner that is consistent with all applicable State and Federal laws and regulations and
    (1) as authorized by Permit, and only if conducted in a manner that is not hazardous to Commission personnel or the general public; or (2) as authorized expressly in designated areas, subject to applicable Park Directives, and only if conducted in a manner that is not hazardous to Commission personnel or the general public.
So fly outside, but don’t land in or take off from the park. It’s FAA rules from the ground up. Still, use common sense,

So fly outside, but don’t land in or take off from the park. It’s FAA rules from the ground up. Still, use common sense,
Yes, that's what I would do. Also, note MD's park rules prohibit operating OVER a park. If you had $10 or $15k lying around for lawyer fees, you might be able to beat that one on appeal.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronecc