DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airspace Waiver

AG214

Reactions
Has anyone applied for and received an Airspace Waiver? I live in Dallas and LAANC is not available for the Class B Airspace around DAL Airport, which encompass a huge portion of the city where I would like to be able to use my MA2 for real estate photos and videos, and without a waiver, it's not really possible to be responsive to client needs in a timely fashion. I haven't been able to find any real guidance on obtaining an airspace waiver and would greatly appreciate any guidance anyone might offer. With how long the lead time is on getting waivers approved, I want to make sure I get it right!

Last edited:
This made for some good reading while I was working on getting my Part 107 and airspace authorizations - but fortunately, LAANC works for my area.

Technically you want to apply for an "Airspace Authorization", not an "airspace waiver". You can do so fairly easily via the FAA DroneZone portal.

Technically you want to apply for an "Airspace Authorization", not an "airspace waiver". You can do so fairly easily via the FAA DroneZone portal.

Are they granting long term, wide-area authorizations? If so, awesome! My understanding is that an authorization is required for each operation. The FAA does issue long term, broad area waivers to 107.41, which is what I am trying to research. On the FAADroneZone, it's the third option on what you are applying for.

Are they granting long term, wide-area authorizations? If so, awesome! My understanding is that an authorization is required for each operation. The FAA does issue long term, broad area waivers to 107.41, which is what I am trying to research. On the FAADroneZone, it's the third option on what you are applying for.
It says you can apply for up to 24 months under the “airspace authorization” option. In reality they only let you put in an end date up to 12/31/21 but alas it’s a long time.

You would only need this for DAL as you can then get LAANC authorization as needed for DFW airspace.

Airspace authorizations are done independently for different airspace as it’s different towers controlling it.

Don’t be that guy that tries to put through an airspace waiver who doesn’t actually need one. I know it sounds cool and all that but it just bogs down the system and slows the process for people who really do need it.

Reactions: AG214
Just to clarify if you really need an airspace waiver don’t hesitate to apply for one.

My comment about “don’t be that guy” was meant to be a more generalized statement not directed specifically at the OP. He may end up needing one for his operation, I don’t have all the details on it.

Just to clarify if you really need an airspace waiver don’t hesitate to apply for one.

My comment about “don’t be that guy” was meant to be a more generalized statement not directed specifically at the OP. He may end up needing one for his operation, I don’t have all the details on it.

You're good! I didn't take it personally.

Thank you everyone for the clarification on things are currently operating relating to long term wide area authorizations. I had originally found some outdated information from a law firm directing people towards filing for the actual airspace waiver, but it looks like I can accomplish what I need with an authorization.

I'm a recreational flyer, and I recently received a wide-area authorization for my local class D airspace, through 12/31/2021. I applied through FAA DroneZone and the authorization was granted within about three hours. If you're thinking of applying, I'd say go for it.

Reactions: AG214 and dawgpilot

Thank you everyone for the clarification on things are currently operating relating to long term wide area authorizations. I had originally found some outdated information from a law firm directing people towards filing for the actual airspace waiver, but it looks like I can accomplish what I need with an authorization.
You can request up to a 3 nm radius (6 nm wide cylindrical area) per Airspace Authorization.

I received my flight authorization very quickly for a non LAANC airport. I submitted it and received a call the next day from the FAA. It was my very first request. The lady that called me was very helpful and friendly. Not only did she give me "wide area" authorization for the entire area she also extended the time by many months. I had applied through DroneZone.

You can request up to a 3 nm radius (6 nm wide cylindrical area) per Airspace Authorization.

You can request an authorization for an entire area of controlled airspace. (aka a "wide-area" authorization) There's no specific nm limit.

Reactions: Vic Moss and AG214
You can request an authorization for an entire area of controlled airspace. (aka a "wide-area" authorization) There's no specific nm limit.
You are correct. Wide Area was blanked out earlier today when I was looking at it so I thought they were doing that any more but it must have been a glitch because it does let me do that now

Reactions: dawgpilot

As soon as you have the authorization (maybe as fast as overnight), immediately ask DJI for a custom unlock for the same time period so that you can actually fly. Otherwise, the Geo fencing will still prevent a takeoff.

As soon as you have the authorization (maybe as fast as overnight), immediately ask DJI for a custom unlock for the same time period so that you can actually fly. Otherwise, the Geo fencing will still prevent a takeoff.
Submitted my authorization request this morning, and had planned on doing that once my it was approved, but god looking out!

Ive done is succesfully a number of times now but it is a process. I go to FAA Drone Zone. Setup an account and apply for the authorization. When that is returned as approved download the form. Then go to DJI Fly Safe and submit a waiver request. Submit the FAA doc when you do that. They will then attach a waiver to your account that you can upload to the aircraft.

Ive done is succesfully a number of times now but it is a process. I go to FAA Drone Zone. Setup an account and apply for the authorization. When that is returned as approved download the form. Then go to DJI Fly Safe and submit a waiver request. Submit the FAA doc when you do that. They will then attach a waiver to your account that you can upload to the aircraft.
Technically it’s not a waiver, not in the FAA sense of waiver anyway. It’s an “unlock license” that DJI provides.

Has anyone applied for and received an Airspace Waiver? I live in Dallas and LAANC is not available for the Class B Airspace around DAL Airport, which encompass a huge portion of the city where I would like to be able to use my MA2 for real estate photos and videos, and without a waiver, it's not really possible to be responsive to client needs in a timely fashion. I haven't been able to find any real guidance on obtaining an airspace waiver and would greatly appreciate any guidance anyone might offer. With how long the lead time is on getting waivers approved, I want to make sure I get it right!
I just received a recreational waiver to fly in Class D airspace for the next 2 months. I'm in the Atlanta area and the Class D airspace is Dobbins AB. It was a lot easier than I had anticipated. Applied online Saturday and have the waiver now on Monday before noon!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21