DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Alligator Snatches Drone from the air and "smokes" (Graphic Content)

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
And we wonder why we aren't liked by everyone and why we aren't allowed in most parks etc where wildlife abounds. This is a classic example of WHY we are so restricted (PITA is going to have a field day here). As if we needed any more "groups" being Anti-Drone . . .

Last edited:
If I were going to bet, I would bet that alligator later died from the incident. Not only are those gases very toxic but the chemicals inside the battery itself are toxic and most likely "exposed" to the animals insides after being chomped and chewed like that before gulping it down.

The alligator was just getting an "easy meal" and probably died over someone's carelessness.

Here is a quote from the "UAS Operator":

"“We were trying to get a close up of the gator with its mouth open and thought the obstacle avoidance would make the drone fly away, it was only our second time using the spark.”"

Uggggggg

I’ve seen people do a lot of stupid and irresponsible crap around alligators but this is just infuriating . i Hope the proper authorities get involved

The only "location" I could find (quick search) was "Everglades Florida". It would be great if it was in the Everglades National Park and they get involved and fine the careless operators. UAS violations, Wildlife violations, theft of O2 violations LOL.

That is disturbing but I suppose it is possible the pilot did not expect that to happen and it is a good warning to anyone thinking of low passes over wild life which, I must admit, includes me included me.
However my real reason for posting is to ask, are crocodilians capable of 'spitting out' distasteful food and or vomiting it out?
I do not know if the alligators actions were it chomping on the 'snack' or it trying to disgorge it.

Could any drone's obstacle avoidance have escaped that?

Last edited by a moderator:
That is disturbing but I suppose it is possible the pilot did not expect that to happen and it is a good warning to anyone thinking of low passes over wild life which, I must admit, includes me included me.
However my real reason for posting is to ask, are crocodilians capable of 'spitting out' distasteful food and or vomiting it out?
I do not know if the alligators actions were it chomping on the 'snack' or it trying to disgorge it.

I know they were calling that alligator 'George' but a lot of tourist places (such as airboat rides into these areas) tell the tourists about a gator they have named and George is a popular name.

I am not so sure that this wasn't a female gator protecting hatchlings or babies near by as it did not spit the drone out. In fact the gator may have sensed the the pops and smoke in it's mouth were signs that the intruder was not dead and thus it continued the attack. I am no gator expert but I cannot imagine why that attack continued as I have seen bites into non living things (like kayaks) and it is one and done.

The pilot could not have flown a more direct route into the strike zone which is off to the side, and they can even propel themselves out of the water several feet if they can use the bottom as a launch point with their tail. Once that drone was in the strike zone no OA would have saved it if the gator wanted it, like this one apparently did.

This was posted Monday over here . . .

Strange, most of the replies there were pro drone.
It would have been fairly painful no doubt, those runaway batteries flame out and that one was at that stage.

The only thing that might have stopped it was the gator taking the thing under water, cooling it.

Reactions: Prop Wash
No. Obstacle avoidance is designed to prevent the drone from flying into large stationary obstacles. It's not perfect at doing that job, but the job of avoiding a moving object is much harder.

Gators have evolved the ability to quickly snatch conscious, living animals, many of which have much higher performance "obstacle avoidance" than our drones. Gators can move very fast. I believe that, even if the drone were able to instantly sense the approaching jaws, and accelerate away from them at quickly as possible, the animal's jaws could easily exceed the performance limitations of our drones.

It would have been fairly painful no doubt, those runaway batteries flame out and that one was at that stage.

The only thing that might have stopped it was the gator taking the thing under water, cooling it.

That is interesting.

I'm not sure that would have worked either. Once the "runaway" starts the process is sell fueling from within which is why water and extinguishers won't work on a LIPO fire. There have been a number of recycling/trash facilities burned to the ground from LiPo batteries that couldn't be put out even with crazy amounts of water. It would be interesting to see a test where one is "damaged" (aka ignited) and immediately submerged in water.

Nope. LiPO batteries can sustain their own combustion, and their energy density is high enough that they produce far more heat than water contacting their surface area can dissipate. The water then just turns to steam, which isn't conductive at all.

I'm not sure that would have worked either. Once the "runaway" starts the process is sell fueling from within which is why water and extinguishers won't work on a LIPO fire. There have been a number of recycling/trash facilities burned to the ground from LiPo batteries that couldn't be put out even with crazy amounts of water. It would be interesting to see a test where one is "damaged" (aka ignited) and immediately submerged in water.
Nope. LiPO batteries can sustain their own combustion, and their energy density is high enough that they produce far more heat than water contacting their surface area can dissipate. The water then just turns to steam, which isn't conductive at all.

Very true re once it does flame out it's extremely difficult to put out.
Many Tesla vehicle fire reports where firies put 30,000 to 40,000 GALLONS of water on them to extinguish / cool the batteries enough to be controlled.

The gator one showed it getting to and advanced smoke stage, I was thinking maybe it had flamed out, or maybe it was still heading that way, not far off though.
I maybe should have said could be near flame stage, as it might not have been there yet.

I have seen video demos of lipo / lithium fires where they test how to control these fires, in aircraft and airport situations.
Before flaming out, you cool the billy-oh out of them with water, soda water, lemonade, anything clear and non alcoholic.

Halon was the extinguisher type used AFTER they flame out, but that's been obsolete for a while, safety reasons, not sure exactly what they'd have on board now.
Maybe Halon still because lipo / lithium fires are potentially devastating in an aircraft whether aloft or on the ground.

Reactions: BigAl07

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J