DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Almost Lost My Mavic:

Never change the homepoint when mavic in flight. But what if I'm on a boat?

Not sure I'm brave enough to do that. I believe you need to be using a device that has a gps so you can set the mp to homepoint the device itself. Haven't researched that to be 100% sure because of lack of boat!

DJI_0053.JPG DJI_0071.JPG
You wouldn't record a 'home point' on any moving vehicle or craft. There are two 'icons' on DJI GO 4 app, RTH and a second one to the right of it, which I have never used but I presume is a 'follow the RC' .

One day I will be using the latter I do have a boat but it's been out of the water for 2 years...one day :)

I did have a forced landing running parallel to a beach. Done 5000 mtrs out, took some pics of an estuary and then got the RTH notification and watched nervously as the clock counted down and the metreage diminshed in tandem. It hit 3000mtrs and 3 mins left. 2000mtrs and 2 mins, I was joyously hopeful that it was going to make it all of the way back to me.

Oh no, on miniute and a 1000 mtrs, critcial low battery warning and the bird had decided enough was enough and it was landing. Heart in mouth moment becuase as it descended it turned towards the sea , a 90 degree turn, so instead of seeing shingle, I could see a vast blue expanse, I could not get the joy sticks any harder in the down positon and it landed. Panicset in and all rational thought evaporated in an instant. Have you tried to sprint on a shingle beach- bl00dy exhausting, I tell you. With RC and tablet in one hand, like a mad dervish I set off with the electronics beeping all of the while. About 50% of the way it dawned on me that I was homing in on the MP as the blue circle was getting nearer and nearer. A calm descended but I still was ill at ease till the little blighter was back in my possession. I eventually stumbled on her, just sat there serenely gazing out to the North Sea.

Picked her up, reprimanded her and set off back to what must have been a bewildered wife. ( Not really,she was oblivious to it all, asleep in the car)

NB: SBE ( School Boy Error) I negated to switch the MP to sport mode on the RTH journey, OA was on. I read in sports mode it comes back faster but doesn't use twice as much battery power, so in effect will go further and would have made ti to the RTH point. ( or that's the way I understand it)

On all of days, my Birhtday 27th July. Now that would have been some birthday present, the MP flying off into the deep blue yonder.

Last edited:
Perhaps you have a bad battery.

Bud

I was flying my Mavic Pro this AM in a very large soccer park (legal fly zone). At the normal low battery setting of 30%, the controller notified me as always. I set the low battery warning at 30% to give me plenty of time to RTH should I be out further than 1500 ft. However, at the 30% warning I was directly overhead. When I confirmed RTH it asked me if I wanted to return to HOME POINT or CURRENT LOCATION. Never did that before. It normally would beep and do it's return to home sequence. I hit RTH and the Mavic began to move away from me. I did not panic. I canceled the RTH. It then warned me CRITICAL BATTERY although it had 27% remaining. It began to land. I could not exit, I could not go forward or backward, up or down. Lucky for me the Mavic landed in an open field about 400 feet away. I search via the map and luckily I was able to find it with no damage. I ended my flying for the day and retuned home to check it all out. As an added note: I always do a preflight check of all settings and the aircraft to be sure there are no issues including any and all updates to firmware. It flew one full battery with no issues then on the second battery the issue happened as described. Any idea's?

Sorry, but I believe Scottd9000 is correct.

"Lost" is when you lose your Mavic and do not find it. It was CLICKBAIT pure and simple. What you've done now is possibly created members who won't bother clicking on your next post.

Bud

It was lost until I found it!

That could be your problem. Why are you discharging your flight batteries fully. You should never FULLY DISCHARGE them.

A friend of mine left his battery in his Phantom 4 Pro for nearly a month and then flew it over the lake in the winter. He flew for about 7 minutes and his battery suddenly went from 87% to 11% and it flew off somewhere and he never recovered it. He bought a new Phantom 4 Pro and now remembers what I told him about how to care for the batteries.

I never discharge flight batteries below 15% and have never, ever had a battery problem.

Bud

Knight Hawk thanks. The batteries are less than 5 months old. All are in good shape. All are discharged fully then recharged. They all (3) have not had any issues in the last 5 months. I don't think that is the issue. However, I will test that particular battery in a controlled environment to test it. Thanks for the input. I'm trying to download the flight data now to post for those who know how to review them to comment. Maybe I did something wrong? Who knows.

I was flying my Mavic Pro this AM in a very large soccer park (legal fly zone). At the normal low battery setting of 30%, the controller notified me as always. I set the low battery warning at 30% to give me plenty of time to RTH should I be out further than 1500 ft. However, at the 30% warning I was directly overhead. When I confirmed RTH it asked me if I wanted to return to HOME POINT or CURRENT LOCATION. Never did that before. It normally would beep and do it's return to home sequence. I hit RTH and the Mavic began to move away from me. I did not panic. I canceled the RTH. It then warned me CRITICAL BATTERY although it had 27% remaining. It began to land. I could not exit, I could not go forward or backward, up or down. Lucky for me the Mavic landed in an open field about 400 feet away. I search via the map and luckily I was able to find it with no damage. I ended my flying for the day and retuned home to check it all out. As an added note: I always do a preflight check of all settings and the aircraft to be sure there are no issues including any and all updates to firmware. It flew one full battery with no issues then on the second battery the issue happened as described. Any idea's?
I have your answer please read on.......click bait is frustrating isn't it?

Lol, clickbait or not
At least help the op to identify the problem
So that he wont lost his mavic for real

View attachment 19043 View attachment 19044
You wouldn't record a 'home point' on any moving vehicle or craft. There are two 'icons' on DJI GO 4 app, RTH and a second one to the right of it, which I have never used but I presume is a 'follow the RC' .

One day I will be using the latter I do have a boat but it's been out of the water for 2 years...one day :)
Correct me if i'm wrong
The second one is not to follow the rc, but to record the home point to where the rc is (gps coordinate of where your rc is when u click it, the coordinate wont change until u set a newer homepoint)n
Let say u are on point A when u click it, then u move to point B
When u do RTH, mavic will return to point A instead of B where the rc is

Should have used something like Marco Polo.

Correct me if i'm wrong
The second one is not to follow the rc, but to record the home point to where the rc is (gps coordinate of where your rc is when u click it, the coordinate wont change until u set a newer homepoint)n
Let say u are on point A when u click it, then u move to point B
When u do RTH, mavic will return to point A instead of B where the rc is

You could well be correct, never used it, the main thrust of my post was that you wouldn't set a home point on a moving object.

When I come to filming on a boat of from the Elgrand I will be looking into the best way of doing it so as not to lose the MP, I guess that will involve 'follow me' or 'tracking' mode of some description.

Correct me if i'm wrong
The second one is not to follow the rc, but to record the home point to where the rc is (gps coordinate of where your rc is when u click it, the coordinate wont change until u set a newer homepoint)
That's correct.

All;

I'm sorry you viewed my post as "clickbait" whatever that is. I'm not real savvy about these forums as I have never used one before. Perhaps that's obvious to some of you. So if I offended anyone in any way that was not the intent. The intent was to get feedback on what I did wrong so I will make sure I don't do that again. Some of you were exceptional with your ideas and in the end msinger analyzed the DATA and found the problem and I am so grateful for the help. I am somewhat new to this UAS tech detail and lingo and forum. I am trying to learn and be a good pilot. That's all. I'll make sure I ask next time before I post as not to stir up the hornets nest.

@Panhead55, if you'd like to edit your thread title to make it more clear, go to your first post above and click "Thread Tools" --> "Edit Title".

Reactions: Vilco
Sorry, but I believe Scottd9000 is correct.

"Lost" is when you lose your Mavic and do not find it. It was CLICKBAIT pure and simple. What you've done now is possibly created members who won't bother clicking on your next post.

Bud

Actually, you're wrong. He lost it as he did not know where it was until he found it. Lost dogs are found. Lost hikers are found & so can LOST Mavic Pros be found again.

All;

I'm sorry you viewed my post as "clickbait" whatever that is. I'm not real savvy about these forums as I have never used one before. Perhaps that's obvious to some of you. So if I offended anyone in any way that was not the intent. The intent was to get feedback on what I did wrong so I will make sure I don't do that again. Some of you were exceptional with your ideas and in the end msinger analyzed the DATA and found the problem and I am so grateful for the help. I am somewhat new to this UAS tech detail and lingo and forum. I am trying to learn and be a good pilot. That's all. I'll make sure I ask next time before I post as not to stir up the hornets nest.

No apologies needed. Some of these are too wind up. You can lose something & find it again. I know what you meant. And some of these guys, obviously don't know what "click bait" means.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom