DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude again...

JanB

Reactions
I know it is discussed a lot. But...
I am always a little bit upset about people writing in a reflex if I want to see it from above look in Google earth or buy a flight. I flew in former times a cessna for one year. It was quite fun. But I stopped it (and the pilots license in same time) because 1. it is too expensive. 2. Flying from A to B only to drink a cup of coffee and then heading back to A again was boring. Now with a drone I can stay in the air where I want if circumstances are allowing this, there are possibilities you will never have with a plane. A helicopter? Same as plane: too expensive.
So why not the altitude without limits where it is possible, look that clip which could never been made with limits...

And to be honest most of us admire most those clips which are going over the limits...

I would really prefer an electronic system that supports such flights in controlled environments. Say you have to apply first online/via app on location and follow a strict schedule (time, position, etc.) if needed rather than trusting you own feelings without knowing what others may do.

But yes, certainly, those shots would have not been really possible (or long time delayed ) by sticking to the rules (however I don't know them in technical-friendly South Korea tbh).

Reactions: JanB
Looking at that video the drone isn't relay that high above the ground / top of mountain even if it is at a great height from the take off point, I think any plane would class the top of a mountain as ground level so would be well above it.

Looking at that video the drone isn't relay that high above the ground / top of mountain even if it is at a great height from the take off point, I think any plane would class the top of a mountain as ground level so would be well above it.

I think rather that you have never flown yourself. Otherwise you would know, small airplanes like the Cessna let themselves fly casually over such mountains. And if a pilot of a big airplane really wants it, he can fly just as low over the mountain.
I think you misunderstood something. Aircraft and other small animals measure ground clearance only in ascent or descent in feet (internationally common) or meters. After reaching the altitude, we speak of flight level. So why do you think that this ridge should not be of importance to airplanes and other ufos?

I do not understand what this answer to my thread should tell me ...

Last edited:
What I meant was you can fly a drone at 400 feet or 121 meters above ground level, height from the ground or earth to avoid possible conflict with manned aircraft, the regulations state “above the ground “ not above sea level.
If the top of the mountain is the ground as in a big hill then surely you can fly 400 feet above that.
If my understanding of the height limit of a drone over the ground is correct (ground being the top of a hill or mountain) I don’t see why the footage in the video shouldn’t have been taken.

By your answer to my last post It looks to me as if you are saying pilots don’t class the height they fly over a mountain as ground clearance.
If the above is correct then what is classed as ground clearance to an Aircraft, sea level or the actual earths surface, earths surface being the top of a hill or mountain ?

What if you had hiked to that peak to take off . Could you not went 400' up from there ?

Reactions: Thomas B
What I meant was you can fly a drone at 400 feet or 121 meters above ground level, height from the ground or earth to avoid possible conflict with manned aircraft, the regulations state “above the ground “ not above sea level.
If the top of the mountain is the ground as in a big hill then surely you can fly 400 feet above that.
If my understanding of the height limit of a drone over the ground is correct (ground being the top of a hill or mountain) I don’t see why the footage in the video shouldn’t have been taken.

By your answer to my last post It looks to me as if you are saying pilots don’t class the height they fly over a mountain as ground clearance.
If the above is correct then what is classed as ground clearance to an Aircraft, sea level or the actual earths surface, earths surface being the top of a hill or mountain ?
Estimating the flown altitude above ground is absolutely uncertain when knowing only the clip,
especially if one does not know the height of the plant growth and otherwise no other landmarks.

. The altitude above the top of the mountain was about 460 m.

What if you had hiked to that peak to take off . Could you not went 400' up from there ?
Look at the clip: There exist only one way to those rocks and then you have to climb
extremely steep stairs. You might still do it.
When I was young I was there at the top. It is a days trip. (At those times drones were unknown). Nowadays I prefer going up with the drone...

Who made the clip at the beginning of the thread? It’s not clear to me and can’t find it dyed on retreading. Thanks in advance.

here is another clip showing a scenerie you can't see so nice by looking out of a plane:

As always recommanded those are 4k clips, best seen on a big tv...

Last edited:
Look at the clip: There exist only one way to those rocks and then you have to climb
extremely steep stairs. You might still do it.
When I was young I was there at the top. It is a days trip. (At those times drones were unknown). Nowadays I prefer going up with the drone...
I saw that but what I meant was it you were to take off from the top of that could you not go 400' up.
not a trick question just trying to get it right in my head .

I was not being facetious. Maybe? Yes or no please.
If I say yes I have to admit I lied with the altitude. It was exactly 120 m above.
If I say no then I leave all as it was...
:D

Last edited:
I saw that but what I meant was it you were to take off from the top of that could you not go 400' up.
not a trick question just trying to get it right in my head .
I started the flight ~600m lower and 2000m away, no wind...

Reactions: dirkclod
I started the flight ~600m lower and 2000m away, no wind...
I understand what you are saying but what I mean if you were at the top could you not go up 400' and
still be within the guideline of staying under 400' That is what confuses me .

My last post on this topic.

You start off by saying “So why not the altitude without limits where it is possible, look that clip which could never been made with limits... “

When I point out you could fly 400m above the top of the mountain counting this as the ground you state “small airplanes like the Cessna let themselves fly casually over such mountains. And if a pilot of a big airplane really wants it, he can fly just as low over the mountain. “

By your above statement my conclusion a pilot can fly his plane lower than 400m above the ground if he so desires this in turn puts him in the same airspace that is legal to fly a drone.

The height regulations of a drone are in place to stop manned & unmanned vehicles occupying the same airspace but according to you a Cessna pilot for example can fly lower over the given terrain than 400m.

I am afraid I don't understand what your original post is trying to query.

I understand what you are saying but what I mean if you were at the top could you not go up 400' and
still be within the guideline of staying under 400' That is what confuses me .
Yes, I could. But prefering the wise advice of my wife I tried it the other way. By the way droning in this national park is forbidden. Oh...******, I forgot...

My last post on this topic.

You start off by saying “So why not the altitude without limits where it is possible, look that clip which could never been made with limits... “

When I point out you could fly 400m above the top of the mountain counting this as the ground you state “small airplanes like the Cessna let themselves fly casually over such mountains. And if a pilot of a big airplane really wants it, he can fly just as low over the mountain. “

By your above statement my conclusion a pilot can fly his plane lower than 400m above the ground if he so desires this in turn puts him in the same airspace that is legal to fly a drone.

The height regulations of a drone are in place to stop manned & unmanned vehicles occupying the same airspace but according to you a Cessna pilot for example can fly lower over the given terrain than 400m.

I am afraid I don't understand what your original post is trying to query.
Altitude without limit where it is possible includes the statement when there is air traffic it is not possible. What about helicopters? They are flying often under 400 m... And the limits in altitude most often are 120m.In U.K.: All drones, regardless of mass, must not fly above 122 meters (400 feet) above the surface.
You wrote:"I think any plane would class the top of a mountain as ground level so would be well above it. " Once again, that depends of the flight level.

Last edited:
Keeping aircraft separated is critical for safety. It can be very difficult to spot other aircraft, especially in certain situations. I'm for a hard separation rule, no drones more than 400' above the ground, no manned aircraft less than 500' above the ground except around an airport or in an emergency. And deviation requires special authorzation.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22