DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude limits

Gumby Mavic

Reactions
I am an experienced drone pilot, and I have a fleet of DJI drones. I heard rumors that DJI has put an altitude limit much lower than the previous 500 meters on a recent software update. Is this true? I don’t want to get into a big debate about altitude. I just want to know the facts regarding altitude limits and the current software update for the Mavic series and Phantom series. Thanks in advance!

-gumby

Always a GOOD idea to wait on new updates just for that reason. I’m hanging back on the new app update for that very reason. Don’t really need their waypoint stuff anyway. They don’t have enough range.

Reactions: Kingram
Always a GOOD idea to wait on new updates just for that reason. I’m hanging back on the new app update for that very reason. Don’t really need their waypoint stuff anyway. They don’t have enough range.
Altitude limits are usually determined by the aircraft firmware, not the app.

Any time frame on a new app release?

Sorry my bad, new update today;)

Last edited:
I heard rumors that DJI has put an altitude limit much lower than the previous 500 meters on a recent software update. Is this true?
No.

And you are a trusting sole. I’ll watch and wait. (and be safe)

Given that you can fly without the app, or use an alternative app like Litchi, it would be ineffective to bake the limit into the app and not the firmware. And DJI has been putting the limit in the firmware for years, not the app.

But as msinger said, no.

I am an experienced drone pilot, and I have a fleet of DJI drones. I heard rumors that DJI has put an altitude limit much lower than the previous 500 meters on a recent software update. Is this true?
That sort of rumour comes around all the time from people that don't know their drones very well.
The drone has a hard limit of 500 metres and a user configurable Max Altitude Limit with a default setting of 400 ft.
Someone makes a new install or an update and goes online to squawk about new limits when it's just the default setting of something you can adjust in 2 seconds - the same as it's been for years.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes