DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude override

Don't set your drone to 400 ft, if you don't need to. Here's the reason. I have 500 and 600 ft radio towers in the vicinity where I fly. Drone pilots are allowed to fly 400 feet above the top of the tallest structure within a 50 foot radius of their operation. So to fly above 400 feet, a pilot would need to be standing near a reasonably tall structure, such as a building or cell tower. If you fly above the 600ft tower, you can fly 1000 ft up. 600+400= 1000ft.

That applies to over terrain here in Australia, but not building or other man made structures, as I think it does ion the US as per other posts by sar104 above.

Our rule on that Drones rules
Hey, I agree it's sort of common sense that light aircraft aren't going to be flying within cooee of building tops, antenna tops, and the likes, but rules are rules in the eyes of the local airspace regulators.

Not sure what RePL pilots here (part 107 equivalent) can do over buildings and other such structures, possibly same as in the US, as most western countries follow the same guidelines established by (I think it would be) International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).

As per Ken Herons video, in this case I would know (pre flight checks) what's abound me over 120m AGL, and avoid it like other obstructions.

If I can legally fly up terrain and keep roughly within the 120m AGL, and wish to for a flight, I will pre flight check change settings to allow this.

Edit - I see you found the info and are aware of this in the post above, cheers.

Perhaps you should start by reading the regulations that apply to recreational flight, because you are wrong on multiple points. In particular (a) (1) and (a) (6).

49 U.S.C §44809. Exception for limited recreational operations of unmanned aircraft
(a) In General.—Except as provided in subsection (e), and notwithstanding chapter 447 of title 49, United States Code, a person may operate a small unmanned aircraft without specific certification or operating authority from the Federal Aviation Administration if the operation adheres to all of the following limitations:​
(1) The aircraft is flown strictly for recreational purposes.
(2) The aircraft is operated in accordance with or within the programming of a community-based organization's set of safety guidelines that are developed in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration.​
(3) The aircraft is flown within the visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft or a visual observer co-located and in direct communication with the operator.​
(4) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft.​
(5) In Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport, the operator obtains prior authorization from the Administrator or designee before operating and complies with all airspace restrictions and prohibitions.​
(6) In Class G airspace, the aircraft is flown from the surface to not more than 400 feet above ground level and complies with all airspace restrictions and prohibitions.
(7) The operator has passed an aeronautical knowledge and safety test described in subsection (g) and maintains proof of test passage to be made available to the Administrator or law enforcement upon request.​
(8) The aircraft is registered and marked in accordance with chapter 441 of this title and proof of registration is made available to the Administrator or a designee of the Administrator or law enforcement upon request.​

So, firstly you are not flying recreationally if you are documenting construction and conservation projects and you are breaking the law by flying out of compliance with 14 CFR Part 107. Secondly, hobbyists (which you are not) are also limited by law to 400 ft AGL. Thirdly, just because you live in a remote area doesn't mean there are no restrictions, although at least you appear to be in Class G airspace, so (a) (5) is not a problem.

As for the DJI firmware altitude restriction, it's a parameter in the main aircraft settings tab of the DJI GO 4 app, and can be set as high as 500 m, as described on page 56 of the Mavic 2 manual.

View attachment 129615
Thank you. I consider myself a hobbyist because my conservation projects are done on my farm. I'm only documenting for myself. Documenting the construction of my house was for myself also. The farm is in Northern Potter County,Pennsylvania. According to a few different apps, there are no restrictions. I'm not just saying no restrictions, because it is remote.
I changed the elevation in the app, several have suggested. Still, nothing changed.

Thank you. I consider myself a hobbyist because my conservation projects are done on my farm. I'm only documenting for myself. Documenting the construction of my house was for myself also. The farm is in Northern Potter County,Pennsylvania. According to a few different apps, there are no restrictions. I'm not just saying no restrictions, because it is remote.
Unfortunately the law isn't based on "what you consider yourself", but clearly that doesn't worry you. The apps are telling you that there are no restrictions due to controlled or special use airspace, but are incorrectly assuming that you plan to follow all the applicable regulations (less than 400 ft AGL, recreational flight only etc.).
I changed the elevation in the app, several have suggested. Still, nothing changed.
Most likely nothing changed because you made the changes in the app without the aircraft actually connected at the time.

Unfortunately the law isn't based on "what you consider yourself", but clearly that doesn't worry you. The apps are telling you that there are no restrictions due to controlled or special use airspace, but are incorrectly assuming that you plan to follow all the applicable regulations (less than 400 ft AGL, recreational flight only etc.).

Most likely nothing changed because you made the changes in the app without the aircraft actually connected at the time.
Re: Unfortunately the law isn't based on "what you consider yourself", but clearly that doesn't worry you.

I guess I am in violation if I document any progress of my garden? I don't see the difference. As far as flying above the legal altitude, I have never flown above 400 feet AGL, at takeoff. I do want to do what is within the law, that is why I am asking. I didn't spend 30 years in Law Enforcement to retire and become an outlaw. The times that I attempted to go above 400 feet AGL, at the takeoff point, was to account for a difference in elevation. I've also heard that you can file for waivers from the FAA. I thought maybe I could get some help, instead of accusations and criticism.

Re: Unfortunately the law isn't based on "what you consider yourself", but clearly that doesn't worry you.

I guess I am in violation if I document any progress of my garden? I don't see the difference. As far as flying above the legal altitude, I have never flown above 400 feet AGL, at takeoff. I do want to do what is within the law, that is why I am asking. I didn't spend 30 years in Law Enforcement to retire and become an outlaw. The times that I attempted to go above 400 feet AGL, at the takeoff point, was to account for a difference in elevation. I've also heard that you can file for waivers from the FAA. I thought maybe I could get some help, instead of accusations and criticism.
You have received several helpful replies, pointing out how to set the maximum altitude higher, explaining the regulations that you were unaware of, and pointing out that what you are doing doesn't fall under the recreational restriction. I can't help it if you don't like the answers.

With regard to your comment about FAA waivers - yes, those exist but no - you will not get a waiver to exceed 400 ft AGL.

Can the max height setting be changed during the flight or must be set before you take off?

There have been times when I needed to fly up a mountain side. I started out at 400 feet or less but gradually increased the height of the Mavic 2 Pro to stay above the terrain but well within a legal distance above the ground. I could do this by setting the maximum altitude at 500 meters instead of my usual setting of 120 meters. Of course this is wise only under conditions such as doing a video of a mountain.
If I start in the valley I still can't fly to the peak of my local mountains. I can take a 90 min road trip around the mountain and up to the crest and launch from there. I can legally fly 400' above that and down into the valley where I originally started from. I can remove the altitude restrictions from my GoPro Karma and fly to the top, but DJI has made it impossible with my M2s. I would much prefer to use my Mavics and I find their height restrictions frustrating.

If I start in the valley I still can't fly to the peak of my local mountains. I can take a 90 min road trip around the mountain and up to the crest and launch from there. I can legally fly 400' above that and down into the valley where I originally started from. I can remove the altitude restrictions from my GoPro Karma and fly to the top, but DJI has made it impossible with my M2s. I would much prefer to use my Mavics and I find their height restrictions frustrating.
What altitude above TO point do you want to reach?

As said and described it's in your settings. Again ensure you are connected to your drone and flight ready. When you change it and climb to above or close to 400' you will still get a warning..just continue to climb and shut off the warning. You should only get the warning one time as you acknowledge the risk, from then on it shouldn't appear. It should hold that setting, although some firmwares reset it to 400' so you will need to reset your preference.

For safety sake. If possible on your land if you could climb to your highest ground level either on foot or however and take off from there and then fly down to your normal homepoint, note the now negative altitude. That will let you set a safe RTH height as well keep you legal for elevation changes. then you just set that as a (positive) height in the settings that you wish to go up to.

You know the rules, your the pilot in command and responsible for what you choose.

True just like the crazy bikers that go way above the speed limit and make it look like GTA and post it on utube.. looks cool and u say i wish i can do that too.. but just because it posted on Utube dont make it legal, as sar104 sez read the actual laws and regulations, my feelings is 400 ft is pretty high , if we could fly to 1500 ft that would waste most of our battery and you would only do that now and again but for all practical usage 400ft and below is the best height for most compostitions anyways.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54