DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude override

FlyingB

Reactions
I've searched and only found advice on resetting the take off point.
I'm looking for specific instructions on how to set the Altitude higher than (392) 400 feet.
Also, is it legal for a hobbyist to fly over 400 ft?
I am flying in very remote areas, so there are no restrictions. I've read several posts that say 400 is only a suggested altitude for hobbyist. This appears to be a built in limit. Do I need a code or something to unlock it.? I've read where others fly up to 1600? Not sure if that is feet or meters or ?
I've had this Mavic 2 since January 2020. I've only used it to document my residential construction and conservation project on a farm. I need to get higher to get the larger area in the picture.

Reactions: Hemadri
Flying B - My understanding is that 400 feet AGL (Above Ground Level) is the maximum altitude for any drone, regardless of type of flight, hobbyist or commercial (Part 107). This is FAA policy and is not flexible. While I have also seen reports/videos of others flying well above 400 feet AGL, I believe they are doing so illegally.
SAS

I'm looking for specific instructions on how to set the Altitude higher than (392) 400 feet.
I am flying in very remote areas, so there are no restrictions. I've read several posts that say 400 is only a suggested altitude for hobbyist. This appears to be a built in limit. Do I need a code or something to unlock it.? I've read where others fly up to 1600? Not sure if that is feet or meters or ?
I've had this Mavic 2 since January 2020. I've only used it to document my residential construction and conservation project on a farm. I need to get higher to get the larger area in the picture.

Sounds like you need a mapping type automated flight programme to take photos in a grid, then stitch later and resize as required.
You'll get better detail this way as well.

I don't use such a programme, but I'm sure others here do and could assist with some suggestions for one that can do that type of work.

I think all the newer DJI drones (produced since my M1P) can be altered in settings to fly to 500m (1640 feet), but this is to allow for countries where there might be no 120m (400 feet) rule, OR for people flying up a mountain side for example, where you can fly within 400 feet AGL as the terrain rises.

Reactions: joeywestside
I've heard of a form that can be submitted to the FAA that allows you to increase you altitude. Maybe some of the 107 pilots can advise?

looking for specific instructions on how to set the Altitude higher than (392) 400 feet.
The 400 foot mark is not regulated by DJI. You must have a setting in your app that is limiting your height.

Reactions: Thomas B
The 400 foot mark is not regulated by DJI. You must have a setting in your app that is limiting your height.

My DJI drones came with 120m altitude set, and at the time was unlimited in altitude you could change to in the settings.

The 500m limit was introduced at some point, not sure when, I've always just left mine at the 120m, nice to get an alert saying max alt reached and it stops there, knowing that's it for the flight for altitude.

I think they might just all go out set at the general 120m / 400'.

when in remote areas I never have been shut down on height but at 400 feet the picture does not reveal much much and less at 1500 ft

Reactions: Emanáku
Your drone has a hard-wired limit of 500 metres above launch point and a user-configurable Max Altitude Limit in the settings, which is by default set to 400 ft.
You can fly higher by just adjusting this.
Going higher isn't necessary.
Using a mapping program like DroneDeploy allows you to fly a precise grid and acquire multiple overlapping images to create orthophotos that can be huge and very detailed.

I fly this area each year to monitor regeneration of a rainforest gully
Here's the first orthophoto from 2017 showing 13 acres from 84 images
2017%20Gully%20reveg-XL.jpg

And here it is a year later
8Y11_Gully%20reveg-XL.jpg

And a comparison of detail
Revegetation%20Detail-X2.jpg

Perhaps you should start by reading the regulations that apply to recreational flight, because you are wrong on multiple points. In particular (a) (1) and (a) (6).

49 U.S.C §44809. Exception for limited recreational operations of unmanned aircraft
(a) In General.—Except as provided in subsection (e), and notwithstanding chapter 447 of title 49, United States Code, a person may operate a small unmanned aircraft without specific certification or operating authority from the Federal Aviation Administration if the operation adheres to all of the following limitations:​
(1) The aircraft is flown strictly for recreational purposes.
(2) The aircraft is operated in accordance with or within the programming of a community-based organization's set of safety guidelines that are developed in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration.​
(3) The aircraft is flown within the visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft or a visual observer co-located and in direct communication with the operator.​
(4) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft.​
(5) In Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport, the operator obtains prior authorization from the Administrator or designee before operating and complies with all airspace restrictions and prohibitions.​
(6) In Class G airspace, the aircraft is flown from the surface to not more than 400 feet above ground level and complies with all airspace restrictions and prohibitions.
(7) The operator has passed an aeronautical knowledge and safety test described in subsection (g) and maintains proof of test passage to be made available to the Administrator or law enforcement upon request.​
(8) The aircraft is registered and marked in accordance with chapter 441 of this title and proof of registration is made available to the Administrator or a designee of the Administrator or law enforcement upon request.​

So, firstly you are not flying recreationally if you are documenting construction and conservation projects and you are breaking the law by flying out of compliance with 14 CFR Part 107. Secondly, hobbyists (which you are not) are also limited by law to 400 ft AGL. Thirdly, just because you live in a remote area doesn't mean there are no restrictions, although at least you appear to be in Class G airspace, so (a) (5) is not a problem.

As for the DJI firmware altitude restriction, it's a parameter in the main aircraft settings tab of the DJI GO 4 app, and can be set as high as 500 m, as described on page 56 of the Mavic 2 manual.

IMG_98389A9DB39A-1.jpeg

There are Apps like the Drone Hacks companion which allows you to safely (if not legally) over
ride height restrictions on MM2. In India, DJI restricts the altitude of nano drones ie <250gms to a ridiculous 15mtrs. To comply with regulations. The paid DHC is used extensively.

My DJI drones came with 120m altitude set, and at the time was unlimited in altitude you could change to in the settings.

The 500m limit was introduced at some point, not sure when, I've always just left mine at the 120m, nice to get an alert saying max alt reached and it stops there, knowing that's it for the flight for altitude.

I think they might just all go out set at the general 120m / 400'.
Don't set your drone to 400 ft, if you don't need to. Here's the reason. I have 500 and 600 ft radio towers in the vicinity where I fly. Drone pilots are allowed to fly 400 feet above the top of the tallest structure within a 50 foot radius of their operation. So to fly above 400 feet, a pilot would need to be standing near a reasonably tall structure, such as a building or cell tower. If you fly above the 600ft tower, you can fly 1000 ft up. 600+400= 1000ft.

Don't set your drone to 400 ft, if you don't need to. Here's the reason. I have 500 and 600 ft radio towers in the vicinity where I fly. Drone pilots are allowed to fly 400 feet above the top of the tallest structure within a 50 foot radius of their operation. So to fly above 400 feet, a pilot would need to be standing near a reasonably tall structure, such as a building or cell tower. If you fly above the 600ft tower, you can fly 1000 ft up. 600+400= 1000ft.

But that only applies to Part 107 flights, not to flights under the recreational exemption.

Please cite your source. Watch the video as well, if you haven't.

My source is 49 U.S.C §44809, and quoted verbatim in post #10. Or perhaps you could have followed the link to the YouTube video that you cited, where it clearly says in the text under the video:

NOTE: This only applies in U.S. Class G airspace. The 400+ exception will NOT allow you to fly into Class E airspace. (Class E starts at 12-Hundred feet.) This rule is for United States Part 107 certified pilots. Other countries have different rules and laws. Research these laws prior to your flight.​

My source is 49 U.S.C §44809, and quoted verbatim in post #10. Or perhaps you could have followed the link to the YouTube video that you cited, where it clearly says in the text under the video:

NOTE: This only applies in U.S. Class G airspace. The 400+ exception will NOT allow you to fly into Class E airspace. (Class E starts at 12-Hundred feet.) This rule is for United States Part 107 certified pilots. Other countries have different rules and laws. Research these laws prior to your flight.​
Your right. I just checked another source myself.

Your right. I just checked another source myself.
A good example of why you should stop watching videos from self-proclaimed YouTube experts, and instead read the actual laws and regulations.

A good example of why you should stop watching videos from self-proclaimed YouTube experts, and instead read the actual laws and regulations.
I have and do, but I don't catch every detail. That's why I read this forum and throw things out there, so people with more knowledge, like yourself, can correct me or help me with things I miss. Thanks for the info.

There have been times when I needed to fly up a mountain side. I started out at 400 feet or less but gradually increased the height of the Mavic 2 Pro to stay above the terrain but well within a legal distance above the ground. I could do this by setting the maximum altitude at 500 meters instead of my usual setting of 120 meters. Of course this is wise only under conditions such as doing a video of a mountain.

There have been times when I needed to fly up a mountain side. I started out at 400 feet or less but gradually increased the height of the Mavic 2 Pro to stay above the terrain but well within a legal distance above the ground. I could do this by setting the maximum altitude at 500 meters instead of my usual setting of 120 meters. Of course this is wise only under conditions such as doing a video of a mountain.
Yes - that's compliant because you don't exceed 400 ft AGL - provided you still stay VLOS of course. I have my aircraft set similarly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31