DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude telemetry

Lone Droner 10

Reactions
Took off from a viewing area that was above a deep canyon, probably 200' above the canyon floor. As I was attempting to fly down to the bottom of the canyon, the altitude telemetry indicated a minus. How do I adjust the telemetry data when the home point is higher than where I am flying?

Took off from a viewing area that was above a deep canyon, probably 200' above the canyon floor. As I was attempting to fly down to the bottom of the canyon, the altitude telemetry indicated a minus. How do I adjust the telemetry data when the home point is higher than where I am flying?
I do not think you can. The Mavic counts its take off as ground level, anything below that will display as a negative integer.

How do I adjust the telemetry data when the home point is higher than where I am flying?
It cannot be adjusted. The current altitude will always be negative when you fly below the takeoff point.

You could set a new home point, but your RTH location would then be in the middle of the canyon :confused:

Setting a new home point only updates the longitude & latitude of the home point.
Oh, didn't realize that, thanks Mike, so I guess landing and setting the RTH location in the canyon and taking off again would do it.

I guess landing and setting the RTH location in the canyon and taking off again would do it.
That won't do it either. Starting from a location inside of the canyon would do it though.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
You could set a new home point, but your RTH location would then be in the middle of the canyon :confused:

So what would happen when RTH? Mavic will hover above the canyon at the same altitude as the original takeoff, exhaust the battery and fall dead? If yes, this is a problem for Dynamic Home Point - it doesn't have to be a canyon even, just going down a slope to lower AMSL and setting new home point will make Mavic fail to land?

Reactions: f3honda4me
So what would happen when RTH? Mavic will hover above the canyon at the same altitude as the original takeoff, exhaust the battery and fall dead? If yes, this is a problem for Dynamic Home Point - it doesn't have to be a canyon even, just going down a slope to lower AMSL and setting new home point will make Mavic fail to land?
No, (I think) when the battery got low it would start to land using the VPS and slowly descend into and land in the canyon.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
So what would happen when RTH? Mavic will hover above the canyon at the same altitude as the original takeoff, exhaust the battery and fall dead?
When the Mavic is over top of the home point, it'll descend until it is no longer able to descend (AKA it has reached the ground).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d