DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Always Test DJI Geofence unlocking before a commercial job!

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I am filming a school dance production this week and next and they wanted some aerial coverage. The field they're performing in is in Class D space about 3 miles from a small regional airport. In doing my due diligence I got both an FAA waiver to fly in the air space and ATC authorization (as well as purchasing liability insurance). I thought it would be best in this situation to use prop guards if possible, but hadn't used them outdoors yet. So I went to that field yesterday, having unlocked the area on my controllers and drones to test. My authorization allows me to fly .5 kilometers (1600 feet) in any direction from ground zero. But upon testing yesterday I got the warning and could go no further than 108 feet in any direction!!!!!

So upon getting back home at my computer which had the DJI authorization number wrote to DJI Flysafe and got a message at 9:41 am this morning that they expanded my zone by 500 meters.

Bottom line is... Had I not gone to test fly this area and shown up on the actual filming day, it might have caused some issues in some of the planned scenes. I probably could have dealt with it somehow by implementing more ground video. But this is a warning to anyone that has to fly a commercial project in a restricted zone: Test fly the unlocked area before you have to fly the actual mission and give yourself some time to contact DJI and get the problem fixed.

I've had lots of trouble unlocking DJI authorization zones. I can do it in advance on my home computer, but there's supposed to be a way to unlock on site with the DJI Go4 app. Back when I first started, a couple years ago, a box would pop up on the app to allow me to unlock. Now I can't find anything. Yesterday I was shooting very near Detroit City airport (KDET). I had Drone Zone authorization and had cleared it with the Tower, but had forgotten to unlock in advance. Had to go home, fortunately only five miles, to unlock and then return.

I am filming a school dance production this week and next and they wanted some aerial coverage. The field they're performing in is in Class D space about 3 miles from a small regional airport. In doing my due diligence I got both an FAA waiver to fly in the air space and ATC authorization (as well as purchasing liability insurance). I thought it would be best in this situation to use prop guards if possible, but hadn't used them outdoors yet. So I went to that field yesterday, having unlocked the area on my controllers and drones to test. My authorization allows me to fly .5 kilometers (1600 feet) in any direction from ground zero. But upon testing yesterday I got the warning and could go no further than 108 feet in any direction!!!!!

So upon getting back home at my computer which had the DJI authorization number wrote to DJI Flysafe and got a message at 9:41 am this morning that they expanded my zone by 500 meters.

Bottom line is... Had I not gone to test fly this area and shown up on the actual filming day, it might have caused some issues in some of the planned scenes. I probably could have dealt with it somehow by implementing more ground video. But this is a warning to anyone that has to fly a commercial project in a restricted zone: Test fly the unlocked area before you have to fly the actual mission and give yourself some time to contact DJI and get the problem fixed.
Try flying without the prop guards. When I put the prop guards on my mini, payload mode limits my distance to 164 feet.

Reactions: Howard70
Try flying without the prop guards. When I put the prop guards on my mini, payload mode limits my distance to 164 feet.
It is definitely Geofencing. I did testing without as well. Below is the email reply I got from DJI Flysafe. It doesn't take much to see that DJI is inculcated in Chinese corporate/political culture where central control is in their cultural DNA. Individual responsibility and accountability is a foreign concept in their culture.

Are there any other drone manufacturers that have incorporated Geofencing? I know that Autel doesn't. I don't think Skydio does either. Are there other major players that I'm not aware of?

dwUTJcJDwjbdkEAFTcvTo42-eZ7a-cIYRYwdP_lKrMsQaZe94yGz1zV-dVF79u_N8eiEw5o96z1MEko2mB2oJF-q1s7YUyoFiOjNnO_5VK0nY9s=s0-d-e1-ft
From DJI Flysafe:

"Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience caused.

1. The unlock radius is extended 500 more meters

2. Since the laws and regulations differ in every country, we are unable to make our no-fly zone completely the same as in every country. We will gradually optimize and improve the GEO map, to be able to support advanced operations in your country, but it takes some time. Your kind understanding will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

3. Your concerns has been reported to the R&D department for further confirmation and assistance, please kindly pay attention to the update of the fly safe database, your kind understanding will be highly appreciated."

I admire you commercial drones greatly. I am, and always will be a non-1207 recreational guy. Still, it really burns me when I want to fly at a low altitude (say less than 100 feet) for only about the length of a football field, and get geofenced.

So my question is, how, step by step, do I actually get a geo-fence removed or lifted for such a flight?E.g.: how does one go about apply for an unlocking? I have a Mavic 2 Pro if that is any matter.

I admire you commercial drones greatly. I am, and always will be a non-1207 recreational guy. Still, it really burns me when I want to fly at a low altitude (say less than 100 feet) for only about the length of a football field, and get geofenced.

So my question is, how, step by step, do I actually get a geo-fence removed or lifted for such a flight?E.g.: how does one go about apply for an unlocking? I have a Mavic 2 Pro if that is any matter.
Ok Dale...
There are a few steps that are required. Typically geofenced areas are restricted zones (Class B,C,D airports/airspace). Let's assume that's the case for you. You have to get authorization to fly. You can apply for ATC authorization for one time and get unlocked in that space. But if you want to fly often, I suggest applying for a waiver. Once you have one of those authorizations, you then go to DJI flysafe DJI Flysafe Custom unlock and put in an application to unlock the zone. You will need your controller's serial number. I don't think you need the drone's serial, but I could be mistaken, so have that too just in case. I don't remember how you convey the space to DJI. I know for the FAA waiver I got I needed the coordinates in decimals, but that isn't needed for regular ATC authorization. You don't need to be an FAA pilot for either. You will use the ATC/FAA authorization in the DJI unlock application as proof that it is ok for them to unlock you.

Once you have the unlock codes on your controller, when you get to the site you find that area in your settings and unlock. Hopefully it will work.

As I was testing the other day, I constantly got pop-ups asking me if I "agree to take full responsibility for flying in the area". I wouldn't say constant, But if I landed my drone and started it again after changing battery or card it would come up again. And then another pop-up advising me that I was in restricted space and it had another confusing check box where I just hit "cancel" and it went away... for a time. So, while DJI thinks they are providing a service with all these pop-up reminders they ignore the fact that it disrupts piloting the UAV in the space that they are so protective of, failing to understand that these pop-ups make flying MORE dangerous.

Thanks, Vindibona,for your quick response and the great detailed information.
Here was my situation. I was in Maine last week (from Miami). My wife and I were on a celebrate pandemic over getaway with my wife. We ate, on the spur of the moment, at a scenic riverside port lobster shack. I decided after lunch to use the pier to take off and go above the obstructions ( sailboat masts, power lines) about 30-50 feet and scan the docks for about a 30 second clip for my travel-video. The drone was like a brick. Props would not start. No notices on the controller. Soon after, I noticed a commercial jet in take off about 3000 feet above me crossing the river. I Realized I was probably near the airport, but not really that close. The 30-50 foot flight would have been well under the safety limit. My Airmap said 100 feet.

I did not have the time for the formal applications, and I realized I was geofenced out. No place to put any codes.I always take full responsibility and check it off. I was not able to foresee or plan ahead to apply for ATC authorization for one time block. So, I guess I was screwed, and just packed it up and lost the shot. I could not have possibly have planned ahead.

So now, I am back home in Miami, and I tried to apply on Airmap and got the approval shown. I guess it is really worthless, right? (see Airmap notice three attachments down).
IMG_1724.PNGIMG_1725.PNGIMG_1725.PNG

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-15 at 2.46.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-15 at 2.46.48 PM.png
    160.3 KB · Views: 9
ATC authorization should be enough, but no. Big brother DJI makes you jump through unnecessary hoops creating further delays, often causing folks to abandon missions altogether. They seem to of abandon the notion of individual responsibility the liability is always with the pilot regardless.

ATC authorization should be enough, but no. Big brother DJI makes you jump through unnecessary hoops creating further delays, often causing folks to abandon missions altogether. They seem to of abandon the notion of individual responsibility the liability is always with the pilot regardless.
You didn't answer my question in post #2, so the thread is still lacking the most pertinent information.

You didn't answer my question in post #2, so the thread is still lacking the most pertinent information.
Yes- I agree- the questions has not really been answered. I was afraid of looking stupid but SAR104 agrees! What, exactly, are the steps, and or web sites to ask for unlocking. I am not interested in commercial. Obviously, I would like to be able to request an unlock right on the site where I am planning to fly. If I have to do this as a preplanned event, it is worthless for me. I am filming for tourism and recreation. I have no idea where I am going to see my next interesting filming site. Like I mentioned about Portland, Maine above. Airmap showed me I could fly 100 feet (I only wanted to fly at 35-50 feet) but the drone was totally locked down, engines would not turn on, no way to request at that point.

Dale
Miami

I've had lots of trouble unlocking DJI authorization zones. I can do it in advance on my home computer, but there's supposed to be a way to unlock on site with the DJI Go4 app. Back when I first started, a couple years ago, a box would pop up on the app to allow me to unlock. Now I can't find anything. Yesterday I was shooting very near Detroit City airport (KDET). I had Drone Zone authorization and had cleared it with the Tower, but had forgotten to unlock in advance. Had to go home, fortunately only five miles, to unlock and then return.
That's the thing too. I have never been able to unlock on sight. Always do it from the home computer and always do custom unlocking. At least I know I'll get the attention of a human. IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THAT DIFFICULT. The DJI apps are going to put up a flash screen making you "assume all liability" anyway. ATC authorization, then unlocking then having to go through those stupid screens... that even pop up in the middle of flight. Really DJI ??????

That's the thing too. I have never been able to unlock on sight. Always do it from the home computer and always do custom unlocking. At least I know I'll get the attention of a human. IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THAT DIFFICULT. The DJI apps are going to put up a flash screen making you "assume all liability" anyway. ATC authorization, then unlocking then having to go through those stupid screens... that even pop up in the middle of flight. Really DJI ??????
Well, folks, I've been watching this thread all day in hopes that one of the geniuses would come up with the answer to my question, but I guess this one is going down in flames. It now appears to me that if I come upon a wonderful video subject in my travels that I want to fly over in a safe manner (e.g.: 30-50 foot for 20 seconds for my travel film) that there is absolutely no way to get the drone "un-bricked" (my made up terminology). So I go through all of this preparation (find a parking space, set up the drone), only to find a dead duck at my feet. (for the Europeans, that is an American aphorism).

If I have to run home to my desktop computer (thousands of miles) while I am traveling, to get special approval, it will not happen. I have learned from this thread today that you really cannot request an unlocking in the field. If I am wrong, then, please, somebody, tell me how, Step By Step.

Dale

Well, folks, I've been watching this thread all day in hopes that one of the geniuses would come up with the answer to my question, but I guess this one is going down in flames. It now appears to me that if I come upon a wonderful video subject in my travels that I want to fly over in a safe manner (e.g.: 30-50 foot for 20 seconds for my travel film) that there is absolutely no way to get the drone "un-bricked" (my made up terminology). So I go through all of this preparation (find a parking space, set up the drone), only to find a dead duck at my feet. (for the Europeans, that is an American aphorism).

If I have to run home to my desktop computer (thousands of miles) while I am traveling, to get special approval, it will not happen. I have learned from this thread today that you really cannot request an unlocking in the field. If I am wrong, then, please, somebody, tell me how, Step By Step.

Dale
It depends what is kind of airspace and DJI Geo zone you are in.

If you are in uncontrolled airspace but a DJI authorization zone, then you can legally fly and you can unlock the Geo system yourself, either in advance or on scene.

If you are in any kind of controlled airspace then you need LAANC authorization to be legal. Then you may also need to unlock the Geo system, again depending on the kind of zone:
  1. If it is an authorization zone then you can simply self unlock with a network connection, and that doesn't actually require any evidence that you have LAANC authorization.
  2. If it is an altitude zone then you are good up to the Geo altitude limit for that location, which will mostly be similar to the LAANC limit. If it is lower and you have authorization for higher from LAANC then you will need to do a custom unlock with DJI - not an instant process.
  3. If it is a restricted zone then you will need to do a custom unlock.

Dale
Ok... Get ATC authorization via Kittyhawk or Airmap or some other app. Follow the link I sent you on your ipad and apply for the unlock. You don't have to be actually "at home". You just need to have web connectivity. Where are you anyway?

If you are in uncontrolled airspace but a DJI authorization zone, then you can legally fly and you can unlock the Geo system yourself, either in advance or on scene.
Why in the world would there by a DJI authoriztion zone in UNCONTROLLED airspace unless it's a NFZ???? That's just one of many unnecessary roadblocks.

And Dale... "brick" is a great term because that's all it is when you can't start the motors. I wonder what it would take to come up with a hack to bypass DJI's big brother system.

Ok... Get ATC authorization via Kittyhawk or Airmap or some other app. Follow the link I sent you on your ipad and apply for the unlock. You don't have to be actually "at home". You just need to have web connectivity. Where are you anyway?
Thanks to both Vindibona and SAR. For the answer to Vindibona's question, where are you anyway? , I was at the waterfront wharf in Portland,Maine. (I am now back home in Miami/Coral Gables,FL). Apparently, the Portland port is in the flight path of the airport, but the planes I saw were quite high in their route. My Airmap told me I could go to 100 feet, and I only wanted to go about 50 feet. Didn't really matter. When I tried to start the Motors, NADA. Dead. No start up. No message. I use DJI Go 4 for Mavic 2 Pro.
I am trying to find my way to the point on my iPad where I can start the requisition for unlock. Where do I go on my screen to get to the request unlock? I DID follow the link you sent It leads to the DJI Custom Unlocking page, which is to be done -"1 to 2 days ahead of time." !!!!! This cannot obviously be done on the hoof!

10:30 PM here- bedtime for me. To be continued tomorrow.

Why in the world would there by a DJI authoriztion zone in UNCONTROLLED airspace unless it's a NFZ???? That's just one of many unnecessary roadblocks.

There generally are not, but there are exceptions. Some uncontrolled airports are DJI authorization zones, which I think is reasonable. And TFRs in uncontrolled airspace are authorization zones.

As for roadblocks, LAANC authorization directly unlocking the aircraft would be nice, but isn't yet implemented. And remember that these aircraft are used around the world, not just in the US. I'm still puzzled what kind of Geo zone you were complaining about, but it's pretty clear at this point that you have no intention of answering that question.

There generally are not, but there are exceptions. Some uncontrolled airports are DJI authorization zones, which I think is reasonable. And TFRs in uncontrolled airspace are authorization zones.

As for roadblocks, LAANC authorization directly unlocking the aircraft would be nice, but isn't yet implemented. And remember that these aircraft are used around the world, not just in the US. I'm still puzzled what kind of Geo zone you were complaining about, but it's pretty clear at this point that you have no intention of answering that question.
I think this is where you and I are going to disagree. I don’t believe in Geo fencing at all, let alone DJI’s subjective decisions to place them where the FAA has no or limited restrictions. I recognize that DJI distributes their products worldwide, which further reinforces my thoughts that they do not have the ability to be big brother everywhere in the world and do a good job. With the software developers they employ there is no reason, given that they how determined to foist Geofencing upon us, they could not develop an app which would incorporate both LAANC approval with unlocking without the needless delays and multiple steps. I see nothing reasonable about any of this.

I want to once again note that the area noted at the beginning that was unlocked, when tested was granted woefully short area compared to what was authorized and requested. I don’t see anything reasonable having been unlocked for 108 feet when 1600 feet was authorized and requested. Can you imagine the stress and difficulty that I would’ve encountered and I got on site during the filming day and put that actually films with a client. There are UAV pilots and flight jobs that are part of a larger scheme with the companies employed crews and equipment and make all sorts of expensive preparation only to have the pilot come out that be able to fly the mission with everybody standing there getting paid. DJI is in the business of making quad copter‘s that can fly well and take professional images, but creates unnecessary obstacles. One would think that it would be simple enough to allow the pilot to send a copy of the FAA 107 certificate along with a liability waiver and have DJ unlockbeverything and allow the personal responsibility of the professional be enough to do what they need to do.

Last edited:
I think this is where you and I are going to disagree. I don’t believe in Geo fencing at all, let alone DJI’s subjective decisions to place them where the FAA has no or limited restrictions. I recognize that DJI distributes their products worldwide, which further reinforces my thoughts that they do not have the ability to be big brother everywhere in the world and do a good job. With the software developers they employ there is no reason, given that they how determined to foist Geofencing upon us, they could not develop an app which would incorporate both LAANC approval with unlocking without the needless delays and multiple steps. I see nothing reasonable about any of this.
We might disagree on this in general, but since you won't give any details about the zones that you claim you cannot easily unlock I think that you just don't understand how to do it. Your description of the process in post #8, for example, is incorrect - it's the aircraft (flight controller) serial number, not the RC serial number, that you use to unlock. That will cause the process to fail every time.

So yes - it's a few extra steps involved compared to non-geofenced aircraft such as Autel's. But DJI implemented this system because they feared even more regulation if they didn't do something to assuage the concerns about drones creating flight hazards. Autel and others, who are only tiny players in this market, sat back and did nothing to help the industry.

Reactions: Armillaria
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc