DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Always the same question.. update or not?

buzzbomb

Reactions
I've just read an article about new firmware update, so my question is should I do it or not?
For now, and for me everything works super fine so I'm afraid this could only bring some new flight restrictions or some more control over my flights (I live in EU). What do you think?

@buzzbomb if you are happy with the way the drone is flying and dont have any issues ,then you have answered your own question in essence

Reactions: Starz and umanbean
I never update unless I have to. If everything works flawlessly I would not update. It is well known that updates can cause new problems and bugs.
Recently I updated my Mavic 2 Pro because it fixed a serious problem that could brick the battery. The update process was fine, and so far everything seems to work as before. But I was nervous when I updated!

I don't update unless the update has something I want, EXCEPT for the FPV where I was forced to update when I accidentally left the phone's wifi on when I connected it to the googles to download the flight logs. Something detected that an update was available and I could not fly until I installed the update.
Also check up whether there are comments about any new firmware preventing rollbacks to earlier versions.

I always update, every time. I've set DJI Fly to auto-update. My android phone also auto updates, as does Windows 10 on my computer.

Updates will sometimes fix problems you haven't seen yet, and problems that I never need to see, are my favorite kind of problem!

Sometimes updates do funky things. The vast majority of the time they just make things better, sometimes in the background.

Of course, if you like putzing around with updates and looking at the changes before doing the update, then that's reason enough to do it that way!

YMMV

:cool:

I've just read an article about new firmware update, so my question is should I do it or not?
For now, and for me everything works super fine so I'm afraid this could only bring some new flight restrictions or some more control over my flights (I live in EU). What do you think?
In my Country , UK, the CAA Drone Code states that you should always check before flying that the built in software is up to date, so I always check and update if available and have had no problems in doing so. My Fleet includes an Inspire, a Phantom 4 Pro , a Mavic 2 Pro and a mini 2. All always being flown on the latest firmware and software , cheers Len

Reactions: dirkclod
In my Country , UK, the CAA Drone Code states that you should always check before flying that the built in software is up to date, so I always check and update if available and have had no problems in doing so. My Fleet includes an Inspire, a Phantom 4 Pro , a Mavic 2 Pro and a mini 2. All always being flown on the latest firmware and software , cheers Len
That's pretty much my view as well.

I'm a pretty smart guy, and I've worked managing SW interfaces and integrations for a lot of my life, but I'm confident that, on balance, DJI knows more about the proper SW/FW configuration for my drone, than I do. They spend a lot of resources to do that.

If you're into tinkering/hacking, that kind of thing, just because you enjoy doing it, that would be different. But if you just want to fly and/or take vids/pics, you're better off doing that, and letting DJI handle the control system issues.

Only reason I probably wouldn't is if I want to increase the chance of compatibility with something like DroneHack, etc. Especially if there have been no issues to date.

If everything is working correctly and with all the issues that seem to come with a dji firmware update, I would definitely NOT update the firmware. Especially since now when you update there is no going back why would you risk it.

The issue I have with updates is they do not clearly define all the issues/concerns that are expected to be fixed with the update. Same goes with smart phones. So you have to take it on good faith that the brain trust at DJI has found some areas of concern and have addressed them but just how does one know. Again same with smart phones. They say "Improve stability" What the hell does that mean.

I usually hold off on updates for awhile to see what people say. So far my Air2S work great. So does my Mavic Pro.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greg190